Fun Facts

MarkandAmy

Original Poster
Ok, so I'm a sucker for useless knowledge and I thought it might make a good thread as we all try to pass the time while not at WDW.

I'll start...

Did you know that the Country Bear Jamboree was the first major attraction to actually debut at Walt Disney World?

Please add your fun Disney trivia and facts!

Californian Elitist

I actually did not know that!

Did you know Snow White was originally the one to rule the kingdom of Disneyland, before Princess Aurora was given the duties?

Speaking of Snow White, did you know there are real photos of Walt Disney and his family hidden in the Snow White queue at Disneyland?

WEDway1975

Here's a few Fun facts.

*Did you know there's a point in the Haunted Mansion, where you actually fall out of a window, and DIE! This is when your Doom Buggy comes out of the attic and you turn backwards and goes down a hill!The ghosts don't interact with you before that, because you haven't died yet. Once your 'dead', they interact and see you, because you are the same as them!

*On COP the mother's laptop is actually working and is scripted along with the scene.

*When the Tower of Terror was being built, it was struck by lightning.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ok, so I'm a sucker for useless knowledge and I thought it might make a good thread as we all try to pass the time while not at WDW.

I'll start...

Did you know that the Country Bear Jamboree was the first major attraction to actually debut at Walt Disney World?

Please add your fun Disney trivia and facts!

Did you know The Haunted Mansion beat it? Mansion was cycling by April 1971.

bubbles1812

Did you know that back in the 60s, long hair and facial hair were considered to be signs of the hippies, which Disney did not want (and could not afford) to be associated with. Hence, the policy was set that all male employees had to have short hair and facial hair...

This policy was changed in 2000. Now male employees are allowed to have neatly trimmed moustaches. Yay! ;)

Luige11

Here's a few Fun facts.

*Did you know there's a point in the Haunted Mansion, where you actually fall out of a window, and DIE! This is when your Doom Buggy comes out of the attic and you turn backwards and goes down a hill!The ghosts don't interact with you before that, because you haven't died yet. Once your 'dead', they interact and see you, because you are the same as them!

*On COP the mother's laptop is actually working and is scripted along with the scene.

I heard something quite similar not too long ago, it went something like this.

"In the Haunted Mansion at Disney World/Disneyland, "you" commit suicide during the course of the ride and become a ghost.

At the beginning of the ride the ghost host (the narrator) says the only way to escape the mansion is to die, and he shows that he hanged himself. Near the end of the ride there's a moment where the ride vehicle turns around backwards and you go off a balcony, which according to this theory represents you jumping to your death.

Before this part of the ride the ghosts are all trying to scare you, but afterwards they sing excitedly and invite you to party with them. (The Grim Grinnin' Ghosts song.) The only human character in the ride, a groundskeeper, appears after the balcony drop. He faces toward the riders and seems terrified of you."

wayneway

Also when you fall out of the window at the HM the building you fall out of is designed in the style of DL's HM, this is because both interior sets were built at the same time for both parks and the exterior of WDWs HM changed later and they kept the interior sets as they were.

Tom Morrow

- is this the actual logic behind the scene? Or just Cast Member-created lore?

- Tower of Terror gets struck by lightning multiple times every year.

gwhb75

- is this the actual logic behind the scene? Or just Cast Member-created lore?

I listened to an interesting podcast on the haunted mansion story a few weeks ago. The basic gist of the podcast is that there are several different stories out there. The one that seems to make the most sense, given the new intereactive que, is the sea captain/pirate.

To quickly summarize...Master Gracie was a pirate, and one of the things he did was marry rich young women, steal their money, and then murder them. He did this 6 times before he met Lucrecia (not sure of the spelling on that one), who he really fell in love with and was willing to give up the pirate life for (if you look at one of the tombstones outside, it lists the 6 wives who died, and the last one says something like "and Lucrecia did him in"). Anyways...Madame Leota wasn't happy about this as she had plans to inherit/take over Gracie's $, so she planned a way to kill Lucrecia. On the day of their wedding, they decided to play Hide and Seek, and Lucrecia went up to the attic and hid in a wardrobe. Leota followed her and locked the wardrobe and the attic door and that's where Lucrecia died (thus the bride in the attic...something kind of cool the podcast said was that if you go through one of the "staff" exits, there is a key hanger with keys for all the rooms, but the attic key is missing. Cool little attention to detail). So everyone looks for Lucrecia, and the find her dead in the attic. Master Gracie finds the attic key in Leota's pocket, and kills her. He then runs outside, throws the wedding ring down on the ground, stomps on it (the ring is now in the new interactive que area), goes back inside and hangs himself. The attic scene ends with the bride pushing you out the window (she's angry at you being up there) where you die when you hit the ground.

I know there are other versions of the story out there, but this was the one that I liked the most

Also...did you know that through the first half of the mansion you don't actually see any ghosts, just evidence that they are there (doors opening, etc). It's not until the ballroom scene that you actually see them (it's the point where the narrarator says something like "the ghosts have sensed your sympathetic vibes...".

Also, although not really going with the story above, if you look at the wedding pictures in the attic, each picture has a different man it it, and the bride is wearing an extra set of pearls in each picture, representing which marriage she is on.

Jakester

I never really thought about "dying" on the haunted mansion, Kind of explains also 999Happy Haunts, but theres room for 1000 (basically implying you become the 1000th ghost). Just food for thought on my own opinion.

2bornot2be

Wow I never knew about the falling out of the window thing.
Just to think; some may say Disney blog sites aren’t educational.

Skooterkid

Moving away from Haunted Mansion, but sticking with dead people, did you know that in the queue for Pirates of the Caribbean, the chessboard which the skeleton prisoners are playing on shows a stalemate? Presumably they died trying to figure out an impossible solution!

Tom Morrow

This has probably been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but its also probably lost deep in some forgotten thread, sooo...

Expedition Everest:
nVab3.jpg

- The main mountain peak of Expedition Everest is not supposed to be a recreation of Mt. Everest. Rather, it is "the forbidden mountain" - the mountain your train must pass through to reach Everest base camp. Mt. Everest is the smaller peak on the right (look up images of Mt. Everest and the peak really looks like that), implying that it is far in the distance.

While riding Expedition Everest, you don't actually make it to Mt. Everest.

- With the ability to run 5 trains at once, each carrying 34 passengers, Expedition Everest is one of the highest capacity and fastest loading roller coasters in the world (excluding coasters with dual tracks), capable of carrying over 2100 people in an hour.

- Expedition Everest's two track switches (excluding the maintenance spur) rotate 180 degrees and completely lock into position in just 6 seconds.

This part, I am paraphrasing so it might be slightly off:

- When riding Expedition Everest, per the story, you have booked an expedition to climb Mt. Everest through "Himalayan Escapes Tours and Expeditions." "Expedition Everest" is the title of their newest and most popular expedition offering, but they book other expeditions as well.

- Bob and Norbu are the proprietors of Himalayan Escapes Tours and Expeditions. The first building of the queue is their business office. The standby queue enters through Bob's office, the Fastpass queue enters through Norbu's office.

- Bob and Norbu, against the advice of the citizens of Serka Zong, have decided that using the newly re-opened Anandapur Rail Service route through the forbidden mountain will be an efficient way for Expedition Everest team members to travel to Everest base camp. The steam powered "tea trains" on this route were formerly used to transport tea to and from the mountain for the Royal Anandapur Tea Company, however the service was halted in 1934 (I could be wrong on the date) due to "continuing disturbances."

- Bob and Norbu do not believe in the Yeti, the Scared Guardian of the Realm of the Snows, but encourage their visitors and trekkers to visit the Yeti Museum to play up the spectacle of the expedition.

koryadams

Did you know that the future world is split down the middle? The side with the seas and the land have more rounded shaped planters and sidewalks and the side with test track has more sharp edges!
And the only pavilion with 2 floors is the Land and you enter on the second floor!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom