Fun Facts

GenerationX

Did you know that when fish in the Living Seas do not maintain a "meets expectations" score on their annual performance reviews they are unceremoniously dumped in the World Showcase Lagoon?

Did you know that the snow atop the peaks of Expedition: Everest is actual snow regenerated nightly? It's the daily melting of that snow that rusted the yeti's gears and forced him into disco mode.

Did you know that the Haunted Mansion storyline was reverse-engineered? WDI threw a bunch of spooky stuff together, wrote a nonsensical script, and added a couple of hidden mickeys. Walt thought it was "a complete waste of space" until a quick-thinking imagineer created the back story on the spot. This pleased Walt, who then expressed his wish that someday the queue would contain whimsical interactive elements.

Cmdr_Crimson

One thing I love about Disney is all the detail in the lands that are created..No so more than Dinoland at AK..One thing I do enjoy is looking at something not too many guests pay attention to and it is this...
DSC01235.jpg

These bulliton boards have so much to look at and if you spend a lot of time when not doing the rides you find out way more about the area..One especially as well...If you see that Newspaper clipping in the right case on the bottom left..You will find out all about Why Chester & Hester are Bad and Unwelcomed (Very Ironic), How the Dino Institute got it's new director Dr Marsh, And how the Time Machine project began which was Called Chrono-Tech...Here's a closeup of the article.
DSC012380.jpg

Also in another Board there is a Map of Dinoland still in the case that shows the area Prior to Chester & Hester's Din0-Rama Demise to the land, Dinosaur Jubilee exhibit, And Also showing Countdown To Extinction before Dinosaur...Ahh Memories..
DSC01242.jpg

tink27

Have you ever read the book 'the hidden magic of walt disney world'?? It really makes you see the parks in a different more magical way... Like the fact that the red bricks on main street are to represent a red carpet to make you feel likr you are entering/part of the show!

captainkidd

Did you know that in the pre-show for the Tower of Terror, although the Rod Serling lines are dubbed by an impersonator, the dialogue and motion of Serling is taken directly from the Season 3 episode entitled "It's a Good Life"? Most will remember this as the episode with the little boy who can control the town with his thoughts. In the episode, Serling points to a map of the US and says "This as you may recognize is a map of the United States." During the pre-show, they cut away from Serling just as he is about to say the word map and instead he says "This as you may recognize is a maintenance service elevator", and instead of pointing to a map, he's pointing at the elevator.

Florida_is_hot

Imagination has two floors but guests are no longer allowed on the second floor unless you are on the undiscovered Future World tour.

Underseas whatever they call it now, two floor fully accessible too.

Sharkreef11

Did you know that in the pre-show for the Tower of Terror, although the Rod Serling lines are dubbed by an impersonator, the dialogue and motion of Serling is taken directly from the Season 3 episode entitled "It's a Good Life"? Most will remember this as the episode with the little boy who can control the town with his thoughts. In the episode, Serling points to a map of the US and says "This as you may recognize is a map of the United States." During the pre-show, they cut away from Serling just as he is about to say the word map and instead he says "This as you may recognize is a maintenance service elevator", and instead of pointing to a map, he's pointing at the elevator.

I knew the lines were dubbed but wasn't aware of all the other details. Thanks for the fun facts!!:D I have been on it so many times and now I just get anxious to get through the doors and onto the ride that I don't really pay attention to the video anymore. I certainly am going to now.

MissM

Moving away from Haunted Mansion, but sticking with dead people, did you know that in the queue for Pirates of the Caribbean, the chessboard which the skeleton prisoners are playing on shows a stalemate? Presumably they died trying to figure out an impossible solution!
NOT TRUE!!

While it's true that Marc Davis planned it to be that way and there was art that showed it that way, in reality, it's totally random. And in fact, it routinely changes as pieces get bumped from cleaning.

I've been taking pics of it for YEARS. I actually have more that published on my site but I haven't updated the site in awhile.

Info http://www.giveneyestosee.com/pirates/
Pics 2003-2009: http://www.giveneyestosee.com/pirates/chess-moves.html

The whole thing started with that very rumor. So we started taking pics to find out the truth.

Update to add: I've updated another 2 years worth of shots and moved them all here for easier updates: http://www.thefloridaproject.com/blog/pirates-of-the-caribbean-chess-stalemate-rumor/

Minnie1976

It might be Mouse Gears or the other big store in Epcot, but one of them had a 2nd floor for shopping. It was back in 1985 that we went upstairs there were a lot of 1984 Epcot shirts on sale. The name of the store may be different from what it is today.

Skooterkid

NOT TRUE!!

While it's true that Marc Davis planned it to be that way and there was art that showed it that way, in reality, it's totally random. And in fact, it routinely changes as pieces get bumped from cleaning.

I've been taking pics of it for YEARS. I actually have more that published on my site but I haven't updated the site in awhile.

Info http://www.giveneyestosee.com/pirates/
Pics 2003-2009: http://www.giveneyestosee.com/pirates/chess-moves.html

The whole thing started with that very rumor. So we started taking pics to find out the truth.

Update to add: I've updated another 2 years worth of shots and moved them all here for easier updates: http://www.thefloridaproject.com/blog/pirates-of-the-caribbean-chess-stalemate-rumor/

OK, your evidence is pretty substantial lol. I retract my 'fact' :)

Cmdr_Crimson

It might be Mouse Gears or the other big store in Epcot, but one of them had a 2nd floor for shopping. It was back in 1985 that we went upstairs there were a lot of 1984 Epcot shirts on sale. The name of the store may be different from what it is today.

Yep MouseGears was originally named Centorium

92007Centorium.jpg

SnowWhite71

I love this thread too!
Did you know that on PotC if you enter the righthand line and come close to the boat-entering lines there is a cave on your right and if you lean over the fence and listen closely you can hear the pirates digging and talking.
Did you also know that as you leave fantasy land and enter liberty square there is a "road" of brown that is to imitate an open sewer as they had back in those days. People threw waste out of their windows and that is why women carried parasols. I do love some "fun facts"!!!!

rufio

I love this thread too!
Did you know that on PotC if you enter the righthand line and come close to the boat-entering lines there is a cave on your right and if you lean over the fence and listen closely you can hear the pirates digging and talking.
Did you also know that as you leave fantasy land and enter liberty square there is a "road" of brown that is to imitate an open sewer as they had back in those days. People threw waste out of their windows and that is why women carried parasols. I do love some "fun facts"!!!!

Someone's been reading "Hidden Magic!" ;)

Skooterkid

When you visit the Magic Kingdom, be sure to note the Grandma on Carousel of Progress. The Grandma who switches the channel over to watch the wrestling (or boxing?:confused:) is different to the Grandma playing the video game in the final scene! But perhaps she is the Mom, Sarah's, mother when the other lady was the Dad, John's, mother? This seems to make sense, as on the Haunted Mansion the old lady in the rocking chair in the ballroom scene looks identical to the Wrestling-fan Grandma of Carousel of Progress, so supposedly she passed away some time between the 1940s and the last scene?
4562298-18260418-thumbnail.jpg

I took this fact and photo from http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/b...-mansion-like-youve-never-seen-it-part-2.html - you can read more about it there!

VDisneyFan18

When you visit the Magic Kingdom, be sure to note the Grandma on Carousel of Progress. The Grandma who switches the channel over to watch the wrestling (or boxing?:confused:) is different to the Grandma playing the video game in the final scene! But perhaps she is the Mom, Sarah's, mother when the other lady was the Dad, John's, mother? This seems to make sense, as on the Haunted Mansion the old lady in the rocking chair in the ballroom scene looks identical to the Wrestling-fan Grandma of Carousel of Progress, so supposedly she passed away some time between the 1940s and the last scene?
4562298-18260418-thumbnail.jpg

I took this fact and photo from http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/b...-mansion-like-youve-never-seen-it-part-2.html - you can read more about it there!
very cool!!!!!

raven

Also, although not really going with the story above, if you look at the wedding pictures in the attic, each picture has a different man it it, and the bride is wearing an extra set of pearls in each picture, representing which marriage she is on.

The additions of necklaces of pearls are also to show you that she keeps marrying wealthier gentlemen. The items around each picture in the attic are the wedding gifts they received. You will notice as you progress that the gifts get more elaborate and expensive as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom