Full photo coverage of the very first appearance and welcoming ceremony of Duffy

sweetpee_1993

Go to Japan and you'll understand why, it fits right in with the Kawaii (cute) culture

I so would love to go to Japan. I would go into a total state of zen if immersed in the awesomeness of the Kawaii. Seriously. All the better fabrics are in the Japanese markets. I could make the most killer quilts with that stuff. But at $25/yard plus international shipping...well...I'll keep dreaming.

Oh yeah, this is cool. Giant Disney teddy bear. Duffy. Right.

Actually, I'm gonna hit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Later.

Okay. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out..... :wave:

Still, it's odd to me that the bear is bigger than Mickey. Scale issues there, guys. Love Duffy. I think the shop was mega overkill because each display was the same 2 or 3 shirts with various Duffy sizes. Disney has a way of overdoing stuff until people are gagged with it. Put out a couple displays, some signage, and let the people come to the product vs. chasing 'em down & trapping them with it.

Wow! Did ya see the LINE to MEET DUFFY?! Awesome! And even if I think Duffy in moving character is slightly odd, the thought of a pic with Duffy & Mickey together is cool in it's own little way!

I really need one of the tiny ones..... ((off to go find the merch # so I can call))

CM's have already taken the bear around the world and have several photos of him in very exotic and exciting places in a company video playing backstage. It's just an attempt to gain more interest in adults to get them to bring their children to Epcot. You and I might not like more kids in that park but it's simply marketing.

I wonder if it's playing on the Hub. I'd love to see that but sadly, I'M FREAKING SEASONAL =( And yup, back in 2006 he really didn't make it so I wonder how he'll make out the next few months. With that said, I need a picture with Sailor Mickey A.S.A.P! So adorable!

Neverland

I don't really get the bear-on-a-stick thing. I mean, I guess the stick makes the Duffys (Duffies?) that kids color easier to carry around... But it's still a bear on a stick. :lookaroun At least the sticks with the masks made sense.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I wonder how many people are going to look at Duffy and think: "What Disney movie was HE in?"

I think most people would say the same about Splash Mountain, since they pretty much pretend Song of the South does not exist. I know my daughter will grow up not knowing anything about the Brer family outside of Splash Mountain.

I actually like this a bit more than I thought I would. Not the meet and greet really, though in a few years I think my DD will be old enough to want to do this, but I think that the merch and tag line of "Where in the world will you take him" works quite well.

Also, Raven makes a great point. For those with children, the WS can seem fairly dry to them, and this gives them something to help tie their little stuffed toy with some of the countries on the WS. Anything that gets me some more time in the WS is ok with me.

aladdin2007

Okay aside from all of our various opinions about whether Duffy is good or bad here, what I dont get is was all the hoopla with ambassadors, managers and their speeches necessary for a bear on a stick and a meet n greet? Has it really come down to that are they hurting that much? You would think a new pavilion or mega ride had opened. :brick: Just sayin.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay aside from all of our various opinions about whether Duffy is good or bad here, what I dont get is was all the hoopla with ambassadors, managers and their speeches necessary for a bear on a stick and a meet n greet? Has it really come down to that are they hurting that much? You would think a new pavilion or mega ride had opened. :brick: Just sayin.

Disney always have an opening event for anything new, particularly something that involves new construction.

dreamfinder

I think the shop was mega overkill because each display was the same 2 or 3 shirts with various Duffy sizes. Disney has a way of overdoing stuff until people are gagged with it. Put out a couple displays, some signage, and let the people come to the product vs. chasing 'em down & trapping them with it.

Ayup. Merch seems like a bit of overkill. I understand wanting to make something seem more popular than it really is, as well as trying to make sure that they don't have empty display spaces (which seems to be the main reason to cram as much plush in anywhere that Disney does) but 4 or 5 displays of the same exact item in the same store is a bit much. I do have to admit though, the smaller plush looks like he would be really cuddly for the kids.

And that line, wow. I wonder if that is going to stay that way, or was just first day excitement.

NadieMasK2

I like him and the meet and greet area. I think my daughters will LOVE him. As Raven said it's a move to get kids more interested in WS. I don't think it takes anything away from adults' experience in the parks (except maybe from your wallet). He's an original character much like Figment - not from a movie or tv show. No harm here.

NewfieFan

You have to look at it in this light:

Epcot has always had problems getting the interest of children because the main focus of Epcot is on adults. Some families only visit MK during their visit because they fear they would be bored of the other parks. Disney is simply trying to make World Showcase something of interest for those younger children. The masks only go so far but also have to be staffed and supplies ordered. Having a teddy bear with the tag line "Where will you take him?" is a great way to get the children to take their bear around the "world" and get photos with him without paying for additional staff. The children can also take the bear on other vacations and submit photos of their bear to the company. CM's have already taken the bear around the world and have several photos of him in very exotic and exciting places in a company video playing backstage. It's just an attempt to gain more interest in adults to get them to bring their children to Epcot. You and I might not like more kids in that park but it's simply marketing.

Thanks for the insight. My children love Epcot, always have... but not every child is like mine nor is every family like mine. A lot (and I mean a lot) of families around here think Epcot is for adults and there is nothing for children to do there. Yes, these people are only speaking from what they've heard and have probably never researched it for a second... but that's the opinion around here!

I don't really get the bear-on-a-stick thing. I mean, I guess the stick makes the Duffys (Duffies?) that kids color easier to carry around... But it's still a bear on a stick. :lookaroun At least the sticks with the masks made sense.

I understand what you're saying... the mask made a little more sense on a stick... but the stick will still be stamped at each Kidcot location. So, basically it's an area for the stamps!

I wonder if they will attach the little symbols to Duffy's body like they did with the mask?

I showed my daughters (7 and 10) the pic of Duffy and as expected they were totally excited to meet him and worse yet, buy the stuff. I told them to start saving their money now! :zipit:

I don't think there be little attachments anymore (there wasn't anything mentioned about it at the Passholder event). It will just be stamps from every country!

I like the new Kidcot "Duffy on a stick". The masks were cool but for someone like us who's been to Epcot and collected the masks a dozen times... we were in the mood for something new!

Magenta Panther

I think most people would say the same about Splash Mountain, since they pretty much pretend Song of the South does not exist. I know my daughter will grow up not knowing anything about the Brer family outside of Splash Mountain.

I actually like this a bit more than I thought I would. Not the meet and greet really, though in a few years I think my DD will be old enough to want to do this, but I think that the merch and tag line of "Where in the world will you take him" works quite well.

Also, Raven makes a great point. For those with children, the WS can seem fairly dry to them, and this gives them something to help tie their little stuffed toy with some of the countries on the WS. Anything that gets me some more time in the WS is ok with me.

You make a good - and sad - point about Splash Mountain. But at least those characters WERE in a Disney film, plus the book it was based on is still in print. So there's at least some reference there.

I still say that if Disney wants a mascot character for EPCOT, why not use Figment? He's awesome. Better than some dopey nondescript teddy bear.

hpyhnt 1000

I still say that if Disney wants a mascot character for EPCOT, why not use Figment? He's awesome. Better than some dopey nondescript teddy bear.

This. Epcot already has a character that makes a cute plush toy: Figment! Why do we need to import Tokyo's Duffy Bear? And personally, I think Figment would fit MUCH better into the Kidcot areas than Duffy ever can (the themes of imagination and creativity fit perfectly).

And Figment is an Epcot original; it makes no sense why he isn't used. :veryconfu

ERich2010

in an unrelated question: how do you suppose they see out of that head?

secondly, Duffy's not going to ruin Epcot anymore than Kim Possible did. in fact, this at least is a little more relevant, seeing as though kim possible hasnt been on tv in years. and itll be a lot less annoying (if i hear "doo doo DOO-doot" one more time...). I don't really see any problem with Duffy. its just for the kids and stuff

Tigger1988

This. Epcot already has a character that makes a cute plush toy: Figment! Why do we need to import Tokyo's Duffy Bear? And personally, I think Figment would fit MUCH better into the Kidcot areas than Duffy ever can (the themes of imagination and creativity fit perfectly).

And Figment is an Epcot original; it makes no sense why he isn't used. :veryconfu

Because Figment is used in Future World and Duffy in World Showcase. It makes perfect sense.

But if we use Magenta's argument even Figment isn't fit to be there, he's not based on a movie or book!!! :hammer:

ttalovebug

First of all, the amount of references to an new, unknown character is a bit overwhelming, and so blatant. But the thing that bothers me? Look at all the thought, effort, money put into this idea. The m&g, merch, kidcot stops, etc.; if only they put this amount of energy into a new attraction or pavillion, or even an existing one that needs work.

Doesn't it bother you that there are press conferences and all this hoopla for a freaking teddy bear, and yet they don't care enough to keep basic maintenance up or fix broken elements on exisiting attractions? It bothers me.

RadioHead

First of all, the amount of references to an new, unknown character is a bit overwhelming, and so blatant. But the thing that bothers me? Look at all the thought, effort, money put into this idea. The m&g, merch, kidcot stops, etc.; if only they put this amount of energy into a new attraction or pavillion, or even an existing one that needs work.

Doesn't it bother you that there are press conferences and all this hoopla for a freaking teddy bear, and yet they don't care enough to keep basic maintenance up or fix broken elements on exisiting attractions? It bothers me.

Nope doesn't bother me in the slightest. My daughter cares way more about meeting Mickey, or any other character, than she does about the attractions. To her every ride is the best. She doesn't notice the small details, nor does she notice any slight mechanical errors that we obsess about.

I can definitely see how this would be a big deal for her, than some new attraction.

Just sayin'......:lookaroun

Tigger1988

Considering that it's not a "one or the other" deal, no it doesn't bother me. Merchandise, Duffy or otherwise is going to be promoted and sold regardless of what "energy" is being put into attractions or pavilions. Not to mention Disney does in park press conferences for just about everything. I doubt any new rides/refurbs/whatever were cast aside in favor of new merch, one has nothing to do with the other.

I have zero interest in ever buying a Duffy bear but I can see why this is a very smart move for Epcot, like Raven stated.

hpyhnt 1000

Because Figment is used in Future World and Duffy in World Showcase. It makes perfect sense.

But if we use Magenta's argument even Figment isn't fit to be there, he's not based on a movie or book!!! :hammer:

I wouldn't say it makes perfect sense, but Disney has done worse. There was at least some thinking put into this move.

I just don't buy the idea that Figment can/should only be used in Future World; I see Figment as being no different than Donald in Mexico or Belle and Beast in France. If the Fab Five and princesses can be in World Showcase, why can't the original character of EPCOT Center be as well? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom