Full Holiday line-up for the 2010 festive season

WDWFigment

Bummer...no mention of the Lights of Winter.

"Holiday line-up for the 2010 festive season" now that's one PC Christmas at WDW! ;)

tirian

Bummer...no mention of the Lights of Winter.

"Holiday line-up for the 2010 festive season" now that's one PC Christmas at WDW! ;)

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting, and Disney only does that in America. Holiday celebrations in Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong are all labeled "Christmas"; plus, they're included in the price of admission.

I do have some Jewish friends, all of whom think Disney's "Holiday" tagline is a joke. The place is obviously decorated in red and green, with Christmas trees and music, and Santa Claus hats everywhere. They aren't offended by the decorations, but they said the way Disney tries to gloss over the Christmas season by calling it "holiday" is "like suggesting we're too stupid to know the difference." I agree. :lol:

In every other major country, people accept Christmas as a holiday, regardless of whether or not everyone celebrates it. Only in America would people be too afraid of each other to enjoy the season of "peace on earth."

kaos

I'm Jewish- my wife has a convention of Jewish teens going to Orlando this year for christmas, and we all wear our Santa hats! Let's face it, Christmas has become Americanized to the point in this country that it has lost a lot of its religious meaning in the USA. It's a retail and marketing bonanza. I don't get offended, in fact, I still wish people that shop at my store a Merry Christmas, but I also add Happy Hannukah.

tirian

I'm Jewish- my wife has a convention of Jewish teens going to Orlando this year for christmas, and we all wear our Santa hats! Let's face it, Christmas has become Americanized to the point in this country that it has lost a lot of its religious meaning in the USA. It's a retail and marketing bonanza. I don't get offended, in fact, I still wish people that shop at my store a Merry Christmas, but I also add Happy Hannukah.

That's my friends' opinion, too. :wave:

tirian

Dear Steve,

I'm sorry for almost derailing this thread.

:eek:

Back to the Christmas announcement...

So, no Lights of Winter, despite last year's PR fiasco. :brick:

WDWFigment

Dear Steve,

I'm sorry for almost derailing this thread.

:eek:

Back to the Christmas announcement...

So, no Lights of Winter, despite last year's PR fiasco. :brick:

You are such a fool. Once something is obsolete, there's no hope for it. They can't just use magic or pixie dust to bring them back from obsolescence. If only there were some sort of miracle-technology that could make the lights 'work' again. Sigh...maybe in the future!

:p :animwink:

WDWFigment

I think we should hijack the comments to whatever DisneyParks blog post is next posted that pertains to WDW expressing our disappointment that the LoW aren't mentioned on the release. Perhaps it's still not too late...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yeah, it's pretty disgusting, and Disney only does that in America. Holiday celebrations in Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong are all labeled "Christmas"; plus, they're included in the price of admission.

I do have some Jewish friends, all of whom think Disney's "Holiday" tagline is a joke. The place is obviously decorated in red and green, with Christmas trees and music, and Santa Claus hats everywhere. They aren't offended by the decorations, but they said the way Disney tries to gloss over the Christmas season by calling it "holiday" is "like suggesting we're too stupid to know the difference." I agree. :lol:

In every other major country, people accept Christmas as a holiday, regardless of whether or not everyone celebrates it. Only in America would people be too afraid of each other to enjoy the season of "peace on earth."

As a Jew, I tend to agree with most of this. It's obvious the celebration is mainly Christmas, and I'm not going to be fooled by the tagline or anything else. That being said, I welcome the attempt to acknowledge that we don't all celebrate Christmas --- I just don't know that it's necessary.

For example, if I walk into the Magic Kingdom, and there's a big Merry Christmas sign, or a parade with Santa in it, that bothers me not one bit, because I know that most of the people who are there do indeed celebrate Christmas. However, I always did (and still do) resent when people say things like "And what is Santa bringing your son for Christmas". The assumption from people I don't know that I, as an individual, celebrate Christmas, is annoying, while seeing a group message about Christmas is not.

Translated, I'm happy if Disney says it is rolling out the Christmas decorations, and I'm happy if Santa says Merry Christmas, and Mickey has a Very Merry Christmas Party, but I'd prefer the cast member who rings up my purchase to say "Happy Holidays!" I know the sentiment is still a kind one if the CM says "Merry Christmas", but the implicity presumption that I am Christian is annoying.

jt04

Oh yeah I remember this from last Christmas. I might have said last year that the D'Vine Voices gospel choir was a way to transition Epcot off of any and all playing of traditional Christmas music. The choir did sing some traditional songs but there is no mention of them returning this year from what I saw. So the process appears to be complete. This is not thread drift and I don't want to start a contoversy but it does warrent mentioning. Disney is great at marketing the season but I guess it would be a crime to mention the reason for the season. Or even play an orchestral song without lyrics. So MJ is celebrated at Epcot, but any mention of the Christ is banished. Yeah, I'll be paying for that experience? Not a chance.

Ho Ho Ho Jingle all the way.

PS- Something tells me someone will be grabbing the phone and looking up D'Vine Voices phone number soon.

tirian

You are such a fool. Once something is obsolete, there's no hope for it. They can't just use magic or pixie dust to bring them back from obsolescence. If only there were some sort of miracle-technology that could make the lights 'work' again. Sigh...maybe in the future!

:p :animwink:

Remind me that I do not want to hang out with you next time I recognize you and your super-cool, old-school EPCOT Center camera strap. ;)

As a Jew, I tend to agree with most of this. It's obvious the celebration is mainly Christmas, and I'm not going to be fooled by the tagline or anything else. That being said, I welcome the attempt to acknowledge that we don't all celebrate Christmas --- I just don't know that it's necessary.

For example, if I walk into the Magic Kingdom, and there's a big Merry Christmas sign, or a parade with Santa in it, that bothers me not one bit, because I know that most of the people who are there do indeed celebrate Christmas. However, I always did (and still do) resent when people say things like "And what is Santa bringing your son for Christmas". The assumption from people I don't know that I, as an individual, celebrate Christmas, is annoying, while seeing a group message about Christmas is not.

Translated, I'm happy if Disney says it is rolling out the Christmas decorations, and I'm happy if Santa says Merry Christmas, and Mickey has a Very Merry Christmas Party, but I'd prefer the cast member who rings up my purchase to say "Happy Holidays!" I know the sentiment is still a kind one if the CM says "Merry Christmas", but the implicity presumption that I am Christian is annoying.

I know when I was a CP it was "suggested" (Disney training speak for expected) to us to say "Happy Holidays" because it's kinda like the finger/ hand point, some people are offended by the assumption that everyone celebrates Christmas. I still say "Happy Holidays" to most people now because in my school (I'm a teacher) we have a very diverse community. It's just one of those good practices to do. :xmas:

kaos

I sell toy trains in my shop, and the inventor of toy trains as we know them today was a Jewish boy from New York (Joshua Lionel Cohen)... and I do tend to say both- then again, the shop is in Buffalo Grove, so you know...

jt04

I know when I was a CP it was "suggested" (Disney training speak for expected) to us to say "Happy Holidays" because it's kinda like the finger/ hand point, some people are offended by the assumption that everyone celebrates Christmas. I still say "Happy Holidays" to most people now because in my school (I'm a teacher) we have a very diverse community. It's just one of those good practices to do. :xmas:

Well obviously you are just better than folks who use the phrase "Merry Christmas".

Thanks Miss Manners. :lol:

CDavid

While there is nothing wrong in wishing someone "happy holidays", it isn't the "festive" season - it's the Christmas season! By awkwardly referring to the holidays as the festive season it is plainly obvious people are just trying to avoid Christmas, and in doing so you still offend people, just a different group.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Thank you, sweetie. :xmas:

I sell toy trains in my shop, and the inventor of toy trains as we know them today was a Jewish boy from New York (Joshua Lionel Cohen)... and I do tend to say both- then again, the shop is in Buffalo Grove, so you know...

Well, in BG you're better from a percentage standpoint saying Happy Hannukah to everybody!

You're around the corner from me. We oughtta have a Chicago-area meet-up sometime, including the guy quoted just below.

No LoW = fail.

And no replacement for LoW = EPIC FAIL.

While there is nothing wrong in wishing someone "happy holidays", it isn't the "festive" season - it's the Christmas season! By awkwardly referring to the holidays as the festive season it is plainly obvious people are just trying to avoid Christmas, and in doing so you still offend people, just a different group.

By that logic, it is also the Hannukah season, so it should be just fine to say Happy Hannukah to everybody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom