Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Nevertheless all the evidence points towards it. To me the biggest clue that Norway is for the chop seems to be that point made earlier about no more Cultural Representatives being sent out for attractions or merchandise after this month.

We can deduce a lot from this. One of the strict terms of the Q visas the participants get is that they can only be hired to directly represent the country in which they are working, which is their home country. Nobody is allowed to work anywhere outside their pavilion, or represent anywhere else, and this is strictly enforced by the US government.

If the only people still being hired are for foods, we can assume that Akershus and the bakery, along with the front of the pavilion, are safe, but the whole back area with the shops and Maelstrom is being turned into Arrendale. If they were doing that, legally they couldn't hire Norwegians to man the roles (as they would be representing a fictional country rather than their own), so would have to freeze (ho-ho) the hiring process, and that appears to be exactly what they've done.
There is no question in my mind (and I have a bit of experience, just a bit, with the visa stuff) that a Frozen attraction would qualify as "Norway" content for the purpose of these visas. If Disney is cutting back on the staff, it's not because "Arendelle" doesn't count as "Norway", it's because the attraction will be closed for a year (or more) and therefore no staff is needed to run it during that time.

Magenta Panther

Am I the only one who has doubts that this projects is actually going to happen? I'm not saying I 100% think it's not, but, currently, I'm 60/40 for it still being the Maelstrom in five years.

Anyone else?

Count me in. I have a lot of respect for the insiders here and appreciate their info, but a Frozen overlay on Maelstrom just seems so...stupid. At the very least, the crowd levels in that little area would be a nightmare. It would be a mob scene every single day. Can you imagine the destruction that would be inflicted on the facades, and what it would be like to navigate through that area of WS? I just can't believe that even TDO could be so blind...

ToTBellHop

Count me in. I have a lot of respect for the insiders here and appreciate their info, but a Frozen overlay on Maelstrom just seems so...stupid. At the very least, the crowd levels in that little area would be a nightmare. It would be a mob scene every single day. Can you imagine the destruction that would be inflicted on the facades, and what it would be like to navigate through that area of WS? I just can't believe that even TDO could be so blind...
To get this right, you are questioning our insiders merely because you think the decision is stupid? Do you view all news stories through that same filter? 90% of what's on CNN would then be "false."

WDWResort

Am I the only one who has doubts that this projects is actually going to happen? I'm not saying I 100% think it's not, but, currently, I'm 60/40 for it still being the Maelstrom in five years.

Anyone else?

I want to believe that it's going to close for a major refurb and reopen as Maelstrom still. Count me in.

Why didn't they announce the "new" attraction on the Frozen special? If construction is starting in less than a month, why on earth would they not take advantage of a large prime time audience to make the announcement? I know Disney likes to do press releases, but wouldn't making the announcement on TV reach much more of their target demographic (families with small kids), than inviting in a bunch of bloggers/podcasters and the Orlando Sentinel. I feel like its just stupid decisions on top of bad decisions and I just want to hide my head in the sand and just pretend it is still 1988.

muteki

Why didn't they announce the "new" attraction on the Frozen special? If construction is starting in less than a month, why on earth would they not take advantage of a large prime time audience to make the announcement? I know Disney likes to do press releases, but wouldn't making the announcement on TV reach much more of their target demographic (families with small kids), than inviting in a bunch of bloggers/podcasters and the Orlando Sentinel. I feel like its just stupid decisions on top of bad decisions and I just want to hide my head in the sand and just pretend it is still 1988.
Disney can have a large prime time audience whenever they want to, and would probably want to announce as close to reopening as possible as to avoid people changing their travel plans because of it.

Next week Apple will announce a phone that has likely been in production for weeks, to be sold in just a few days. No one has to announce anything before they are ready.

As for myself, I believe that the attraction will close at the end of the month, but I would be extremely surprised if we saw any signs of construction any time soon. Not because there haven't been any announcements, just that's how they do things.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
No one has to announce anything before they are ready.
;)
image.jpg

I know you're totally right, but that just made me think of this.

BrerJon

Why didn't they announce the "new" attraction on the Frozen special? If construction is starting in less than a month, why on earth would they not take advantage of a large prime time audience to make the announcement?

Disney of 2014 has a reputation for taking a very, very long time to build anything. There's not much to the Mine Train, but it felt like it was in construction for decades. When Avatar opens it will have been almost 7 years after it was announced, longer than the time it took to build DCA, Hong Kong Disneyland and DLP combined.

Sure, Frozen is not a brand new ride building, but knowing Disney it's very possible it will still take them 18 months. My guess is they're hoping for Thanksgiving 2015, but it could easily be an early 2016 opening, especially if they're still working out some of the details.

This time of year is when they start ramping up the promotions to get people to book 2015 vacations, and nobody is yet booking for 2016. If Frozen isn't going to open until 2016, or at the earliest Thanksgiving 2015, why announce it now and risk people delaying their vacation? Much better to wait until the time period when they'e trying to get people to book for when it's due to open, once you have summer 2015 bookings locked in, so no need to announce it for another six months or so.

aladdin2007

Is Norway the smallest pavilion? It always seems so.

Norway and Japan are actually a couple of the largest ones in terms of scope and buildings, except for American Adventure. I would say UK is the smallest. Though they all have a 3 acre land plot to use.

Norway at one time was the only one to offer one of everything: ride, movie, exhibit, store, restaurant, bakery, playground.

Last edited:

misterID

I remember hearing something about a river raft ride in Canada rumor years ago, I don't remember it being Brother Bear, but it very well could have been. I thought it was a clone of the DCA version.

minsmk

All rumors here....please close this forum. It isn't going to happen. Disney will not change Maelstrom.

Err sorry but a trusted cm told me that "Maelstrom is going to go, Frozen or not it's going away very soon."

Another cm told me the same thing.. I know that no one probably trusts me online but I trust these cms irl. I normally don't write anything though, don't want to upset them.

aladdin2007

Err sorry but a trusted cm told me that "Maelstrom is going to go, Frozen or not it's going away very soon."

Another cm told me the same thing.. I know that no one probably trusts me online but I trust these cms irl. I normally don't write anything though, don't want to upset them.

yep what minsmk said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom