Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Lol. Yes..."WE" need to move on and realize that the attractions are not museums and need to be refreshed similar to the entertainment. "WE" come to Disney to experience the new and unbelievable, but lately "OUR" guest are continuing to get stale attractions and nothing new to WOW! I applaud the opportunity to change and provide a new opportunity to explore. like the song wm49rs....Let It Go!
Yes it's not a museum, but it's not like they're desperate for space and the only choice they have is to replace old rides with new ones. Believe or not there is space elsewhere for Frozen and Maelstrom still could've gotten a much needed and more appropriate refurb.

Edit to add, Disneyland is currently in the midst of updating their Fantasyland dark rides and has already given updates to BTMRR, TLM and Alice recently which all turned out great. Now why can't this kind of love be given to Maelstrom and other WDW rides that could really use it? Food for thought.

Last edited:

cw1982

Lol. Yes..."WE" need to move on and realize that the attractions are not museums and need to be refreshed similar to the entertainment. "WE" come to Disney to experience the new and unbelievable, but lately "OUR" guest are continuing to get stale attractions and nothing new to WOW! I applaud the opportunity to change and provide a new opportunity to explore. like the song wm49rs....Let It Go!

With all due respect, no one is forcing you to engage in a thread that you find to be lacking value worth your time. Feel free to move on if you don't see the point in participating.

I, for one, would rather see updates about this topic stay in one thread rather than have a situation where there are multiple threads on the same topic simply because one poster no longer sees a thread as useful. If it gets closed now, there will be another thread the minute any kind of update happens, which seems redundant.

Mike S

One, I am not necessarily using this as some kind of justification, just stating the fact.
Two. I know many will disagree with me here on this board , considering the kind of people who visit this board , but The whole purpose of World showcase IMVHO is to get people interested in other cultures and countries. Using a fantasy movie that does not really take place in said country or was not written by a person who is not from that country can still do that effectively. Just look at New Zealand and the whole Lord of the Rings thing. That has done a lot for New Zealand.

Some of the movie was inspired by Norway and if Having the incredibly boring ride ( in my children's opinion ) being turned into a must do attraction and getting them to take notice of Norway is then a plus for my family

I dont want them to turn the WHOLE land into Frozen, but the ride and the princess breakfast thing being turned into Frozen stuff, is a very good idea for MY FAMILY's enjoyment and will increase my kids interest in Norway.

JUST MY 2 cents

Mike S

One, I am not necessarily using this as some kind of justification, just stating the fact.
Two. I know many will disagree with me here on this board , considering the kind of people who visit this board , but The whole purpose of World showcase IMVHO is to get people interested in other cultures and countries. Using a fantasy movie that does not really take place in said country or was not written by a person who is not from that country can still do that effectively. Just look at New Zealand and the whole Lord of the Rings thing. That has done a lot for New Zealand.

Some of the movie was inspired by Norway and if Having the incredibly boring ride ( in my children's opinion ) being turned into a must do attraction and getting them to take notice of Norway is then a plus for my family

I dont want them to turn the WHOLE land into Frozen, but the ride and the princess breakfast thing being turned into Frozen stuff, is a very good idea for MY FAMILY's enjoyment and will increase my kids interest in Norway.

JUST MY 2 cents
What about other families, maybe one like mine perhaps? One that was perfectly fine with Maelstrom while growing up and didn't need cartoons shoved in our faces to keep hold of our attention spans? I'd like to think there's more of us than you think.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Can I let you in a little secret that you might find surprising, there are people on this board with opinions that differ from yours, thus the continued discussion. If you have already made up your mind on this topic, then stop reading this thread.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

JUST MY 2 cents
New Zealand may have seen an uptick in tourism due to LoTR, but it was because the film sets themselves were of interest, not because the studio was pushing a link between the books and the country....

And if TDO is that interested in promoting and improving its Norway pavilion (or any other) they have the resources to do so without introducing a animated film whose scenes were merely "influenced" by the land. But they're not so inclined....

Captain Chaos

What about other families, maybe one like mine perhaps? One that was perfectly fine with Maelstrom while growing up and didn't need cartoons shoved in our faces to keep hold of our attention spans? I'd like to think there's more of us than you think.
You don't matter... As long as jam's family is happy, screw you mike!!!

You must be delusional if you dont think you had things shoved in your face when you were a kid to keep a hold of your attention span ( for one very good example how about.....................going to EPCOT ) , ones that now influence your adult life decisions.

Thats like your Great grandfather saying, we didnt need EPCOT we had BOOKS and pictures to read ect ect

New Zealand may have seen an uptick in tourism due to LoTR, but it was because the film sets themselves were of interest, not because the studio was pushing a link between the books and the country....

And if TDO is that interested in promoting and improving its Norway pavilion (or any other) they have the resources to do so without introducing a animated film whose scenes were merely "influenced" by the land. But they're not so inclined....

have you seen the tours to new zealand that revolve around LOTR ? most of it is NOT about seeing the movie sets because most of them do not exist but seeing the natural wonders where it was filmed . The Landscape itseslf, the mountains, the rivers. Of course you get hobbington or whatever its called LOL but I think thats the only set that still exist.

And the country itself is sure pushing a link between the country and the movies/books, really hard. The minute you step off the plane you see LOTR stuff every where at the airport

The movies are a stepping stone and New Zealand sees that. People see it, get interested in it and then want to know more about the REAL country /culture/people

Last edited:

Lets be fair, that works both ways Captain Chaos, so let me show you how to be fair and add to your ridiculous statement to show how "fair" can be

You don't matter... As long as jam's family is happy, screw you mike!!

and

You don't matter...As long as Mike S's Family is happy , screw you Jamarmiller!!

Mike S

sadtrick.gif

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
have you seen the tours to new zealand that revolve around LOTR ? most of it is NOT about seeing the movie sets because most of them do not exist but seeing the natural wonders where it was filmed . The Landscape itseslf, the mountains, the rivers. Of course you get hobbington or whatever its called LOL but I think thats the only set that still exist.

And the country itself is sure pushing a link between the country and the movies/books, really hard. The minute you step off the plane you see LOTR stuff every where at the airport

The movies are a stepping stone and New Zealand sees that. People see it, get interested in it and then want to know more about the REAL country /culture/people
And? So a country is capitalizing on where a set if movies was filmed. That's not inherently the same as replacing a ride or or pavilion of a country because it "inspired" a ride.

Well its clear that I am going to have to politely disagree with you 100 percent on this. Its exactly the same thing IMVHO, oh your changing a few nouns/pronouns and what not, but its the same thing at its core , again IMVHO

BrerJon

I think a compromise would be quite easy to achieve, maybe if it's in the context of the Frozen characters visiting Norway.

Would it be possible to reverse it and have the cinema before the ride, like in TGMR? I can imagine the attraction starting with a short Frozen film where we see Anna, Elsa and the gang packing for their vacation to Norway. Then throughout the rest of the ride, that's very similar to Maelstrom but updated, there will be a few Frozen animatronics here and there to show what the girls are seeing on their travels, in the same way the Caballeros were worked into El Rio del Tiempo.

It's still a clumsy shoehorn, but it allows them not to lose any of the Norwegian-ness, while still justify having the Frozen gang around.

BrerJon

And? So a country is capitalizing on where a set if movies was filmed. That's not inherently the same as replacing a ride or or pavilion of a country because it "inspired" a ride.

Imagine if there was a New Zealand pavilion, and they announced a Lord of the Rings ride to be the main attraction in it. That's the same kind of strange disconnect between having a Frozen ride in Norway.

Mike S

I think a compromise would be quite easy to achieve, maybe if it's in the context of the Frozen characters visiting Norway.

Would it be possible to reverse it and have the cinema before the ride, like in TGMR? I can imagine the attraction starting with a short Frozen film where we see Anna, Elsa and the gang packing for their vacation to Norway. Then throughout the rest of the ride, that's very similar to Maelstrom but updated, there will be a few Frozen animatronics here and there to show what the girls are seeing on their travels, in the same way the Caballeros were worked into El Rio del Tiempo.

It's still a clumsy shoehorn, but it allows them not to lose any of the Norwegian-ness, while still justify having the Frozen gang around.
That just sounds terrible. The best solution is not doing it at all, putting Frozen in Fantasyland where it belongs and giving Maelstrom a proper refurb like what Disneyland has been doing for some of their rides. But of course TDO would never go for this, too much money. Not cheap enough.

aladdin2007

That just sounds terrible. The best solution is not doing it at all, putting Frozen in Fantasyland where it belongs and giving Maelstrom a proper refurb like what Disneyland has been doing for some of their rides. But of course TDO would never go for this, too much money. Not cheap enough.

The thing is while fantasyland seems like the best fit, not every single thing can be put in fantasyland. DHS however would be a great spot for something large and grand. But no we cant have grand new attractions, we get sing alongs, olafs on sticks, and chuffed in rethemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom