Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttalovebug

This trend for mixing fictional countries inspired by real ones, in their real life counterpart pavilion, may just catch on big time.

Big Hero 6 is set in San Fransokyo. If that movie is a big hit, can't you see TDO licking their lips at that big empty show building in Japan?

As a M&G or shop, of course. Not a new ride or anything really good. That would be ridiculous.

Beyond just losing the Norway pavilion in it's current form, this ^ is what makes this Frozen business so, so disconcerting for me as an Epcot fan. It's going to be successful, because it's Frozen. And that's going to give them the go ahead to do god knows what else to the rest of World Showcase. :banghead:

(I wish we still had that animated vomiting smiley. It expresses my feelings toward TDO unlike any other emoticon. :rolleyes:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It can't really be both a knee jerk reaction and part of a larger trend. There are reports of Star Wars being mired in demographic concerns.
Like Avatar isn't? Like HWTBAM and AI wasn't? And both show attractions were created well past the prime of their TV counterparts effectively killing a lot of their demographics.

I just really don't think that they understand their own demographics at ALL.

AndyMagic

It really does feel like a Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom will be the tipping point. It's the point of no return for World Showcase as we know it. All 4 parks have never been more disjointed and it won't be long now before they become hideous, giant versions of Fantasyland. We're just a few years away from Disney Princesses waving us goodbye during the final descent of Spaceship Earth.

Last edited:

azox

My kids always liked looking at the Norwegian merchandise the most, I hope they can find someway to still showcase this stuff and it's not completely replaced with Frozen.

I always found it funny that a bunch of things for sale in the Norway pavilion were actually made in china. I never did look to see if the things in the china pavilion were made in china or not... :)

BrerJon

It really does feel like a Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom will be the tipping point. It's the point of no return for World Showcase as we know it. All 4 parks have never been more disjointed and it won't be long now before they become hideous, giant versions of Fantasyland. We're just a few years away from Disney Princesses waving us goodbye during the final descent of Spaceship Earth.

Here's a vision of World Showcase in fifteen years time:

You start off at the Pixar's Day of the Dead pavilion, with rethemed boat ride, then go to Frozen's Arrendelle, then a land themed around a film targeting the Chinese market that we don't know about yet. After that, there is Rapunzel's village, followed by a trip to Lady & The Tramp Land.

After walking past the shuttered and closed building in front of the main stage, you get to San Fransokyo. Progressing through Aladdin's Agrabah, we go to Ratatouille's Paris (with no ride but a 3D movie), Peter Pan Land, then finally grab a Bear Beer in Brother Bear Land.

No extra attractions, just a couple of reskins, and a bit of retheming and paint jobs, and boom - you've suddenly got a whole new place to promote Disney merch, without any of the pesky real world countries interfering.

Mike S

Here's a vision of World Showcase in fifteen years time:

You start off at the Pixar's Day of the Dead pavilion, with rethemed boat ride, then go to Frozen's Arrendelle, then a land themed around a film targeting the Chinese market that we don't know about yet. After that, there is Rapunzel's village, followed by a trip to Lady & The Tramp Land.

After walking past the shuttered and closed building in front of the main stage, you get to San Fransokyo. Progressing through Aladdin's Agrabah, we go to Ratatouille's Paris (with no ride but a 3D movie), Peter Pan Land, then finally grab a Bear Beer in Brother Bear Land.

No extra attractions, just a couple of reskins, and a bit of retheming and paint jobs, and boom - you've suddenly got a whole new place to promote Disney merch, without any of the pesky real world countries interfering.
Who knows, maybe Pixar's Day of the Dead movie could be a good fit for the pavilion. Even better than Three Caballeros. Everything else sounds absolutely terrible though.

dadddio

This trend for mixing fictional countries inspired by real ones, in their real life counterpart pavilion, may just catch on big time.

Big Hero 6 is set in San Fransokyo. If that movie is a big hit, can't you see TDO licking their lips at that big empty show building in Japan?

As a M&G or shop, of course. Not a new ride or anything really good. That would be ridiculous.
That must be why they put Japan right next to the American pavilion. Come to think of it, isn't there a bit of space in between the two? That might be the perfect spot for San Fransokyo!

RSoxNo1

I'll play Devil's Advocate, I don't remember people this upset about a Brother Bear raft ride in Canada.

bhg469

I'll play Devil's Advocate, I don't remember people this upset about a Brother Bear raft ride in Canada.
You're right... I think I would be slightly more acceptable of it because Canada would still be more than just the ride. Once Maelstrom is done, the gift shop will go with it and then you really just have the bakery. Canada has quite a good bit of retail space, a stage, and oh canada.
I don't recall the ride, removing much of that.

Clamman73

Am I the only one who has doubts that this projects is actually going to happen? I'm not saying I 100% think it's not, but, currently, I'm 60/40 for it still being the Maelstrom in five years.

Anyone else?
Well, if going by fastpass availablity, now it's 10/2 that has the last available option to make a fastpass for it vs when it was 9/27 or 9/28. We'll see...

aladdin2007

Am I the only one who has doubts that this projects is actually going to happen? I'm not saying I 100% think it's not, but, currently, I'm 60/40 for it still being the Maelstrom in five years.

Anyone else?

spirit verified again yesterday its happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom