Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

I don't think the still broken Yeti can be attributed to my own human nature.

Well, it's been well documented that fixing the Yeti would require extensive work, causing the attraction to be shut down for a long time. Now, when you factor in that many complain about AK not having enough rides or being a "half-day" park, you can see why TDO is reluctant to do that at this point. Now, once the nighttime entertainment debuts and Avatar Land opens, that will be a different story.

MotherOfBirds

I think a lot of the purist/old standard camp have rosy memories of WDW past. I know I do (and I wasn't even alive for "old disney"). It's very easy to romanticize it because the parks are less than 60 years old. Give it another couple of decades and we'll all be pining for the glitter-encrusted 2000's. Heck, I'm already pining for Disney's golden age of film of the 90's.

lazyboy97o

While there are issues, I'm sure part of the perceived drop in quality is simply due to human nature. "The Golden Age was never the current age", to quote Ben Franklin in The American Adventure Experience.
Except that in the case of Walt Disney World there are objective means of demonstrating how there has been a change. The biggest would be the changes regarding show quality standards and their impact on operation, which is now at a point where they have no impact. It is also possible to make cross comparisons between he other park operations.

Well, it's been well documented that fixing the Yeti would require extensive work, causing the attraction to be shut down for a long time. Now, when you factor in that many complain about AK not having enough rides or being a "half-day" park, you can see why TDO is reluctant to do that at this point. Now, once the nighttime entertainment debuts and Avatar Land opens, that will be a different story.
Actually, it has not been documented and even then, the loss of the primary show element would point to the lower set of standards that you deny.

jdmdisney99

"The Golden Age was never the current age"
Not necessarily agreeing with you, as I haven't read through the entire discussion, but this quote is perfect in describing the views of WDW. As long as kids grow up with it, and as long as changes continue to be made, adults will yearn for the "golden" age they experienced and loved as children.

However, I never experienced the World pre-1999, and I know it was better before then. I yearn to visit 1980s WDW though I never even lived it, because I know there were higher standards on every level of the resort.

Cesar R M

Yep!

I mean, to each their own, but it's sad so many don't seem to appreciate the great theming DISNEY does.
Well, The less awful lifestylers at POR... the better for us who like that resort. I was there last year at POR and loved it!

this..

...will be my 2nd time staying at resort other then a value.

staying at POR in sept.and really excited for it.
stayed at the contemp. back in the day.
POR is really nice, just be careful with the huge influx of people in the quick service breakfast food court. D:

Crazy Harry

I am not diligent enough to read all of the posts to see if someone else mentioned this, but would it really make sense to have a ride themed after 'Frozen' when the ride vehicles are reliant on flowing water to operate? Just a thought. But then again Disney has been pretty loosey goosey when it comes to theming, so it probally doesn't matter anyway.

Matt_Black

That's the same stuff that just repeats itself. What's lacking is Disney desire, that is all, but it doesn't matter to them. Besides, sending guests past a large structure that is known to be unsound is far worse than lower show quality standards.

So, you think it's sound business to close arguably the only E-Ticket ride in a park that is already low on attractions for six months or longer? And if it were unsound enough to constitute a safety risk, they'd absolutely shut it down.

lazyboy97o

So, you think it's sound business to close arguably the only E-Ticket ride in a park that is already low on attractions for six months or longer?
Putting aside that the park existed for years without the attraction, it has been discussed that there are proposals which involve minimal to no downtown. The far bigger issue is who pays, and thus takes the blame for the problems.

Bocabear

OK, So....Frozen Ride replacing Maelstrom...
I feel like I often fit into the category of the Disney Purist, and initially I hated this idea...but after riding Maelstrom last week, and looking through the Frozen exhibit in the Stave Church, I can see how it could work. Using the real Norway to show the inspirations for the fictional film... The Maelstrom ride was a welcome addition to World Showcase and often has very long lines, but mostly because it is ont of the few rides in the park. If blending the characters from a fairy tale into the attraction make for a more engaging experience that will ultimately allow more people to understand the culture of Norway, I think it is a pretty good idea... And while they are at it, get rid of the smarmy Princess Dining and re theme it to Anna and Elsa's Coronation Feast...then it at least has a bit of a reason to be in the world showcase...of course, the caveat is that they do a wonderful job with it...

dadddio

So by that logic, any position I take is circular logic if I dont agree with you. Your logical fallacy would be tu quoque. You always answer criticism with criticism.
I think that you picked the wrong fallacy. While my logic probably isn't always perfectly perfect, 'You, too' isn't an argument that I typically make and certainly wasn't making in the posts in question.

Last edited:

dadddio

Putting aside that the park existed for years without the attraction, it has been discussed that there are proposals which involve minimal to no downtown. The far bigger issue is who pays, and thus takes the blame for the problems.
Unless those proposals aren't, you know, real (or realistic).

dadddio

And while they are at it, get rid of the smarmy Princess Dining and re theme it to Anna and Elsa's Coronation Feast...then it at least has a bit of a reason to be in the world showcase...of course, the caveat is that they do a wonderful job with it...
They could actually have their school bread and eat it, too.

Retheme the dining to Anna and Elsa's coronation feast. Get pics taken with Elsa (or Anna and Elsa) instead of Belle. Other princesses wander about during the meal. Having these other Disney princesses present works thematically just as it did in the movie.

ToTBellHop

Retheme the dining to Anna and Elsa's coronation feast. Get pics taken with Elsa (or Anna and Elsa) instead of Belle. Other princesses wander about during the meal. Having these other Disney princesses present works thematically just as it did in the movie.
Sometimes I wonder how Belle ended up in Norway. She needs to get her head out of books and pay attention to where she's going!

Mike S

I could accept that. Just leave the ride alone unless it's an update that would still fit World Showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom