Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

But how? I think it's good enough that they added a touch of Ratatouille to the restaurant in France. Why is it worth messing up?

They got rid of that "touch" of Remy in France.

Going back to an earlier point, I'd love to see an attraction in France where Remy is your "guide" to France whether as a movie or a ride. That is a good use of characters in Epcot. What I don't want to see is a ride that just a retelling of Ratatouille.

Edit: That said, if you wanted to do an attraction based on a Disney property, having a Hunchback of Notre Dame attraction in France wouldn't be a bad idea. At least Notre Dame Cathedral is a cultural icon and the novel is a renowned classic So even if it were "toons", it would feel like it had cultural/education value.

Last edited:

doctornick

All I've got to say is that WDW should have done their original plans for a roller coaster in Japan. It's all because of Kodak's rivalry with Fuji Films...

Historically, there was two different attraction options for Japan that were considered: A bullet train across the Japan countryside, including views of Mt. Fuji (and possibly an encounter with Godzilla). And a Carousel of Progress type ride except the stage rotated around the seats. I think the existing empty show building in Japan was for the latter.

More recently, Martin mentioned that they have plans for a Japan dark ride (don't know if it is the bullet train idea or not) but aren't willing to built it without a sponsor footing most of the bill.

Voxel

President of Progress City
My only major complaint with Maelstrom is how short it is. I would be ok with a Frozen enhancement if they kept the polar bears, trolls, made the ride 5 minutes longer and increased capacity.
The word on the street concerning this is that the supposedly got budget to begin blue-print ways to enhance the ride into something Frozen oriented. Supposed the play is to look to changing the ride system, enhancing, maybe even tearing it down to start from scratch. However the sources mention right now have been fairly anonymous and should be taken with a grain of salt until we hear more concert rumors.

Historically, there was two different attraction options for Japan that were considered: A bullet train across the Japan countryside, including views of Mt. Fuji (and possibly an encounter with Godzilla). And a Carousel of Progress type ride except the stage rotated around the seats. I think the existing empty show building in Japan was for the latter.

More recently, Martin mentioned that they have plans for a Japan dark ride (don't know if it is the bullet train idea or not) but aren't willing to built it without a sponsor footing most of the bill.
I have heard the same thing. Though I can understand Japanese corporations being on the fences about sponsoring. Japan has had an up and down economy since the 80s. It hasn't fully recovered from when the bubble popped.

willtravel

:(

CDavid

How do you keep the cartoon characters out of Disney, it was all started by a mouse (I hope I do not bust your bubble, but he is a cartoon character). All the Princesses are also cartoon characters. I go to Disney cause it is a fantasy. If I did not want cartoon characters, then I would go to the Universal where I would get comic characters. Wow, reality really does escape us here. Off to SeaWorld then.

Nobody is suggesting keeping characters out of Walt Disney World. What we are saying is that such fictional characters have no place in Epcot in general, and World Showcase in particular. This park doesn't have a Fantasyland, nor a movie tie-in, or is it even associated with animals. Rather, Epcot is a park with a more science oriented view of future living (Future World) and an authentic representation of the nations of the world (World Showcase). Fictional (primarily animated) characters have really no place in either, cameo appearances or an unobtrusive host possibly excepted. Once you bring such characters in a major role you almost invariably dumb-down the presentation.

Yes, Epcot could really use a roller coaster that is themed well. Japan would prob be the best place.

The very last thing Epcot needs at this point is a roller coaster. The parks very foundation has been perhaps irreparably undermined already. Notably, this may have been very different if such a coaster had went in Japan back when Future World still held the three major "E" ticket omnimovers we've since lost.

A Ratatouille ride in France would've been fine too....

Which would have a similar problem to Frozen in Norway - just not where such an attraction belongs. I'd love to see the Ratatouille ride built in WDW (and probably Frozen too), but it should go to the Studios ideally, or else the Magic Kingdom. Ratatouille belongs in France about as well as Space Mountain works in Adventureland. Lack of proper attention to theme is the sort of thinking that gives us High School Musical in Tomorrowland, or worse, blue aliens in an animal themed park, but that's another thread.

doctornick

I have heard the same thing. Though I can understand Japanese corporations being on the fences about sponsoring. Japan has had an up and down economy since the 80s. It hasn't fully recovered from when the bubble popped.

Of course, you only need one company. Hopefully, it is out there -- even if many are closely watching their bottom line, hopefully one might step up who feels the advertising value would be worth it.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Of course, you only need one company. Hopefully, it is out there -- even if many are closely watching their bottom line, hopefully one might step up who feels the advertising value would be worth it.
I would like to state that if the Godzilla movie coming out this year is successful you may see renewed interest in the Mt Fuji concept. ;)

Nobody is suggesting keeping characters out of Walt Disney World. What we are saying is that such fictional characters have no place in Epcot in general, and World Showcase in particular. This park doesn't have a Fantasyland, nor a movie tie-in, or is it even associated with animals. Rather, Epcot is a park with a more science oriented view of future living (Future World) and an authentic representation of the nations of the world (World Showcase). Fictional (primarily animated) characters have really no place in either, cameo appearances or an unobtrusive host possibly excepted. Once you bring such characters in a major role you almost invariably dumb-down the presentation.

The very last thing Epcot needs at this point is a roller coaster. The parks very foundation has been perhaps irreparably undermined already. Notably, this may have been very different if such a coaster had went in Japan back when Future World still held the three major "E" ticket omnimovers we've since lost.

Which would have a similar problem to Frozen in Norway - just not where such an attraction belongs. I'd love to see the Ratatouille ride built in WDW (and probably Frozen too), but it should go to the Studios ideally, or else the Magic Kingdom. Ratatouille belongs in France about as well as Space Mountain works in Adventureland. Lack of proper attention to theme is the sort of thinking that gives us High School Musical in Tomorrowland, or worse, blue aliens in an animal themed park, but that's another thread.
If they can kept the ride educational and not a rehash of the story I am 100% for Disney Characters for Epcot. Maybe because I grew up with reruns of Von Drake teaching me about color and concepts in science. Disney Character could work with out ruining the integrity of culture needed for Epcot. Now I am not saying that every World Show Case needs a Disney character teaching us but one or two could work if done right.

doctornick

And, yet, you have tons of people complaining about the FP+ tiering in Epcot because "only two rides even need FP+". I think people would be totally cool with a roller coaster in Epcot if it fits the theme properly. I think the bigger issue would be the space required for such a ride and how it would affect the views in the World Showcase.

Anyhow, I don't think the bullet train idea was a roller coaster per se and I think that the thril level would have been mild. IIRC, there was plans for a Swiss pavillion that would have a Matterhorn clone though.

FigmentJedi

The Three Caballeros work for Mexico just fine seeing as the third act of that movie and the original El Rio del Tiempo were kinda the same thing: Surreal travelogues of Mexico with a Mary Blair inspired scene.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Could you post a link to the article?

I'm not a fan of the idea but it beats a themed bathroom which is all that Tangled got.

I'm curious. Just how popular now in Tangled in 2014? Tangled was a perfectly fine movie IMO, found Frozen and the music better, enjoyed it, still I'm not sure Frozen fall into a classic slot and maybe to early to make that call.
I wonder in 5 years of the new, small fans will even have a clue what the Tangled potties represent.

I'm kinda cautious about Disney retheming or renaming attractions based on blockbuster movies prior to waiting to see if the movies have that classic staying power. Just because they are wildly popular the year they are released doesn't translate often into classic movies.

My same reservations about Avatar and the AK attraction Dinosaur which I believe should have left as it was, Countdown to Extinction. I wonder if Tangled is going to fall into the Dinosaur category. I ponder the same thing about all the Princesses being added into the Classic Princesses line-up.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The Three Caballeros work for Mexico just fine seeing as the third act of that movie and the original El Rio del Tiempo were kinda the same thing: Surreal travelogues of Mexico with a Mary Blair inspired scene.

And IMO neither work in Mexico. I found both El Rio del Tiempo and The Three Caballeros boring as heck. Still can't believe Disney Imagineering came up with such a painfully dull attraction.

JEANYLASER

Frozen Attraction - Blue Sky Rumor - (1/3/14) This could just be a fanboy rumor, but according to an email sent my way, WDI has been given the initial nod to do a little Blue Sky dreaming to determine just how they could transform the Maelstrom ride in the Norway Pavilion into a new Frozen themed attraction concept. (Credit to “Allen W” for the tip…)
Since this is Blue Sky phase, they are looking at all budget levels here, from a simple rethemed of the existing boat ride system and layout, to the installation of a new kind of flume ride system, possibly the one rumored to be put to use on the Pirates ride at Shanghai Disneyland. Given a big enough budget, the entire current ride structure could be demolished to make way for a new trackless ride system concept. Given the cold snow and ice theme of frozen, I would love to see trackless ride cars used, themed as a sleigh ride through the wilderness, scooting across the frozen landscape.
Just remember… a new ride has not been approved. WDI was only approved to do some initial Blue Sky dreaming to see what might work best in response to the stellar box office results Frozen has been bringing in, as well as guest reactions to the Frozen character meet & greet already in Epcot.

this is from Screamscape!

taz0162

I could support some small touches of Frozen to this ride. It was good movie. Keeping with the historical theming of Norway and adding a few Frozen aspects would be a great addition. I wouldn't have Olaf singing about Summer though.

elchippo

My thoughts, for what it's worth:
Halfway through watching Frozen, i thought "this movie NEEDS a ride", but imagine, with all that need for a pristine white snowscape, the dusting needs! And I'm pretty sure no ride would have a better air conditioning system in place. Putting something so relieving in Epcot would threaten Ellen's Energy Adventure's attendance:)

Anyways, at first I thought they'd logically go after a Maelstrom overhaul first, which I disagree with as much as anyone else. Keep whatever is at the Stave Church, and change the Akershus princess breakfast to "Anna, Elsa, and Friends".....at last! a princess breakfast in Norway would finally make some sense! That's all Norway needs. China didn't overhaul itself into "Mulanland", so "Frozenland" isn't necessary either.

Too bad this wasn't out a little sooner before the Fantasyland expansion was wrapping up...THIS could have gone in the Snow white building instead (which probably could not have sustained the inevitable popularity). Another thought-adjacent to the Mermaid ride would be a great spot, as the winter theming could be a bit more isolated that far back, and the Danish influence from Mermaid provides a natural transition into Arendelle.

Last edited:

doctornick

I'm curious. Just how popular now in Tangled in 2014? Tangled was a perfectly fine movie IMO, found Frozen and the music better, enjoyed it, still I'm not sure Frozen fall into a classic slot and maybe to early to make that call.
I wonder in 5 years of the new, small fans will even have a clue what the Tangled potties represent.

Rapunzel is a massively popular princess. I don't think the film's popularity is going to wane to any appreciable degree. Or, to put it another way, I would think that the film will be popular enough for years to warrant getting its own attraction.

Speaking of which, I might as well re-mention a plan I think would work out great for WDW: Build an It's a Small World attraction in World Showcase on one of the empty plots, together with a DL-style facade that can be used for a light show in the evening. IASW fits in perfectly with the WS and would increase the ride count for Epcot, which needs it.

Then use the gutted IASW building (I'm assuming you move all the AAs and such to Epcot for the new ride) and make that water ride space into a Tangled ride. A water ride makes since given the boat/flying lantern scene, it would be located right next to the existing Tangled bathrooms, and it would put in a ride that thematically fits better to the medieval Europe Fantasyland motif.

Both Epcot and MK get new rides, for the cost of roughly one new ride. Themes strengthened. Everyone wins.

pwnbeaver

I'm kinda cautious about Disney retheming or renaming attractions based on blockbuster movies prior to waiting to see if the movies have that classic staying power. Just because they are wildly popular the year they are released doesn't translate often into classic movies.

My same reservations about Avatar and the AK attraction Dinosaur which I believe should have left as it was, Countdown to Extinction. I wonder if Tangled is going to fall into the Dinosaur category. I ponder the same thing about all the Princesses being added into the Classic Princesses line-up.

Did you seriously just compare Tangled to Dinosaur? If anything, Tangled's best current comparison would be The Little Mermaid as the first great movie in what looks to be a string of winners.

As for Frozen coming in, I'm surprised they would place it inside an already really popular ride. Maelstrom already reaps in loads of crowds. Wouldn't they try to stick Elsa and Anna somewhere that needs help? I'm certainly not against Frozen replacing a lesser tier ride. I loved the movie. I think everyone else in the world did too considering how fast the merchandise is flying.

doctornick

Keep whatever is at the Stave Church, and change the Akershus princess breakfast to "Anna, Elsa, and Friends".....at last! a princess breakfast in Norway would finally make some sense! That's all Norway needs. China didn't overhaul itself into "Mulanland", so "Frozenland" isn't necessary either.

Agreed. Having the Akershus meal with Anna and Elsa as the hosts makes a ton of sense.

FrankLapidus

Disney have fallen into the habit of short-termism. I don't disagree with a lot of what you say but Disney don't think in this way anymore, Avatar is indicative of that. Its why rumours about Imagination! receiving a Phineas & Ferb overlay or the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse being re-themed to the Fairies franchise are easy to believe, an appreciation for the company's classic tradition and innovation is being eroded by an obsession with franchises and bleeding the latest trends dry.

For what its worth I do believe that Tangled and Frozen could be regarded as classics in years to come because I think they've both very good films but there are proven classics in the Disney library that have barely any or no presence in the parks and are largely ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom