Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

All I have to say is Olaf should have been a meetable character. Whether that's in Norway or somewhere else I don't care.

They missed out on not having in the parks.
Once you miss the initial studios subsidy it's a tough sell to add him in later sadly

atigs

I agree that the countries in Epcot should remain focused on the countries themselves, versus the characters and stories that are, in Frozen's case, solely inspired by the countries displayed. That being said, bring on a Frozen dark ride! I'm all for any additional dark rides, super excited to see imagineers work their magic, etc., but please, don't replace Maelstrom with it. That'll cause uproar.

FigmentJedi

You have to admit an 8ft tall Olaf would look a bit strange though.
They already sell giant Olaf plushes at the Disney Store, so its not that much of a stretch

tumblr_mvgboqz1He1qa2r95o1_500.jpg

SirLink

He would be small like Mickey's size.

Even better would of been if they take a page out of the Donkey photo op at Universal. Have the the two face characters then on a little table have a puppet/Muppet Olaf talking to guests.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Um, I did not suggest getting rid of IASW, I said to move it to Epcot where it fits in thematically. If anything, given that IASW originated in a World's Fair -- and Epcot is basically a permanent World's Fair -- it would finally be in the ideal place. And then it could have the proper facade like in DL.

WDW would still have IASW, just in a different place. I think most Disney fans would be thrilled to have IASW in Epcot and have a new Tangled ride in MK.

I don't agree. The World Showcase and Disneyland IASW facades are like oil and vinegar, do not mix and would not complement each other. That would be an eyesore in the WS. Future World needs new innovation not cherished classics, that isn't what the future should be.

To build and engineer a new home for a IASW is not like moving Dumbo, it would be over the top expensive and likely at its age not fair well with being disassembled transported and reassembled. End result after millions and millions of dollars still not having anything new in the WS and you would be adding yet another Princess attraction into Fantasyland which would not be gender neutral or something for the boys given all that was built for the princess crowd.

I just could not justify that expense or concept, but maybe Meg would be on-board for that type of attraction swap between parks in the new millenium, sounds like something Meg would do.

Animaniac93-98

As much as meeting a 4ft 9in mouse. But, hey no one seems to notice

When was the last time Mickey was drawn to be the size of a mouse? He's bigger than his own dog Pluto.

Seeing an out of scale Olaf next to Anna and Elsa would look weird, much like it does for Mushu standing next to Mulan.

If they do a living character puppet, that would be cool.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Rapunzel is a massively popular princess. I don't think the film's popularity is going to wane to any appreciable degree. Or, to put it another way, I would think that the film will be popular enough for years to warrant getting its own attraction.

Speaking of which, I might as well re-mention a plan I think would work out great for WDW: Build an It's a Small World attraction in World Showcase on one of the empty plots, together with a DL-style facade that can be used for a light show in the evening. IASW fits in perfectly with the WS and would increase the ride count for Epcot, which needs it.

Then use the gutted IASW building (I'm assuming you move all the AAs and such to Epcot for the new ride) and make that water ride space into a Tangled ride. A water ride makes since given the boat/flying lantern scene, it would be located right next to the existing Tangled bathrooms, and it would put in a ride that thematically fits better to the medieval Europe Fantasyland motif.

Both Epcot and MK get new rides, for the cost of roughly one new ride. Themes strengthened. Everyone wins.
I supported this idea the first time you suggested it, and it's done nothing but grow on me since. Too bad we don't have a say.

Tigger1988

Ok, Im gonna say it...why all the love for Maelstrom? I remember the first time I rode it at the height of EPCOT Center, being utterly disappointed. And the movie to me was more boring than the others in WS even in '88.

When you have SE, JII, WOM, Horizons, WOL, LTTL, KK, Living Seas, Communicore, I mean, Maelstrom kinda sucks. Do people just like it by default cuz theres so little there now?

Trackless Frozen ride? Now that may be enough to get me back to the side of the pixie dusters.

#sorrynotsorry
Seriously. Maelstrom was laughably bad in the 1990s when it was still "new" now it's just flat out embarrassing. People are clinging to it because it opened when the park still had Center in the name.

Also was I the only one shocked to see it described in this thread as "really popular"?

vinnya1726

Rapunzel is a massively popular princess. I don't think the film's popularity is going to wane to any appreciable degree. Or, to put it another way, I would think that the film will be popular enough for years to warrant getting its own attraction.

Speaking of which, I might as well re-mention a plan I think would work out great for WDW: Build an It's a Small World attraction in World Showcase on one of the empty plots, together with a DL-style facade that can be used for a light show in the evening. IASW fits in perfectly with the WS and would increase the ride count for Epcot, which needs it.

Then use the gutted IASW building (I'm assuming you move all the AAs and such to Epcot for the new ride) and make that water ride space into a Tangled ride. A water ride makes since given the boat/flying lantern scene, it would be located right next to the existing Tangled bathrooms, and it would put in a ride that thematically fits better to the medieval Europe Fantasyland motif.

Both Epcot and MK get new rides, forthe cost of roughly one new ride. Themes strengthened. Everyone wins.

Brilliant!

asianway

Seriously. Maelstrom was laughably bad in the 1990s when it was still "new" now it's just flat out embarrassing. People are clinging to it because it opened when the park still had Center in the name.

Also was I the only one shocked to see it described in this thread as "really popular"?
Popular in terms of wait times but there's a bit of a TSMM factor there too I think in that it's family friendly. I'd take Rio or Gran Fiesta over it any day.

SirLink

Ok, Im gonna say it...why all the love for Maelstrom? I remember the first time I rode it at the height of EPCOT Center, being utterly disappointed. And the movie to me was more boring than the others in WS even in '88.

When you have SE, JII, WOM, Horizons, WOL, LTTL, KK, Living Seas, Communicore, I mean, Maelstrom kinda sucks. Do people just like it by default cuz theres so little there now?

Trackless Frozen ride? Now that may be enough to get me back to the side of the pixie dusters.

#sorrynotsorry

Eh yeah I mean a book that is set in the North Pole by a Danish author, yep Norway pavilion makes perfect sense. Oh I'm sorry you mean a hacked together 'meh' film by WDAS to support the Princess brand. Gotcha.

If they really want to do a new ride for Norway, how about a trackless ride through Norways Fjords? ... The reason why people are upset is and quite honestly this park should be a 'Toon-free zone', not a get out of jail-free card to stop parents coming to guest services, because there is nothing for lil Jimmy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom