Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the minority, but I would be excited if they turned maelstrom into a frozen attraction. I loved the movie and the music, and think it could be a great ride. I also really liked the nemo, and three caballeros additions to epcot. I know I'm in the minority but I don't have a problem with them making Epcot more kid friendly.

CDavid

Avatar will break ground on Monday. All of the construction vehicles have started to arrive today. Cast bicycle routes backstage close on Sunday due to the construction presence.

This is confirmed? Construction equipment is on-site at Animal Kingdom (other than FOTLK theater construction, of course)?

doctornick

I'm in the minority, but I would be excited if they turned maelstrom into a frozen attraction. I loved the movie and the music, and think it could be a great ride.

I doubt anyone is against a Frozen ride in principle (though some might not like the idea of one being in Epcot specifically), more of the anger is against losing Maelstrom.

If TDO announced they were putting a Frozen ride in some new expansion in MK, I'm sure most people would support that.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I doubt anyone is against a Frozen ride in principle (though some might not like the idea of one being in Epcot specifically), more of the anger is against losing Maelstrom.

If TDO announced they were putting a Frozen ride in some new expansion in MK, I'm sure most people who support that.
As a fantasy in film, and not really having much to do with EPCOT, so would I....

Disneykidder

I'm not opposed to anything Frozen....brilliant beyond brilliant movie but I do not agree with it replacing Maelstrom. It is a classic and I think there will be many many DL annual passholders that will highly object to it.

RSoxNo1

At one time (maybe 15 years ago???) Jim Hill may have had a semi-reliable source somewhere to feed him information, but that is certainly long gone. Since then, he's been so mistaken about so many obvious rumors that people (half-seriously) take the position that if Jim Hill says its a go, you can count on it not happening.
Right, I mean it's not like he broke any of the following recently:
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train replacing the meet and greets in Fantasyland
  • C3PO being the pilot on Star Tours the Adventures Continue
  • Art of Animation Resort (I'll have to double check on this one, but I think he broke this one)
  • 3rd theater for Soarin'
FYI, he put this out there on the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish episode from December 23rd. Also, if you go back to August 2012, user raven mentioned that changes were coming to Maelstrom. It's not unrealistic that changes are coming to the attraction, and if the 5+ hour waits on NYE for the meet and greet are any indication, Frozen would be just the thing for pencil pushers to do. The good thing is, it takes a good 20 years before Disney builds an attraction based on a movie.

tl77

It's not unrealistic that changes are coming to the attraction, and if the 5+ hour waits on NYE for the meet and greet are any indication, Frozen would be just the thing for pencil pushers to do. The good thing is, it takes a good 20 years before Disney builds an attraction based on a movie.

Actually it takes Disney 20 years to build a ride based on a "Disney" movie, but Pixar, Star Wars, Avatar... those movies get rides built in much less time :D

Magenta Panther

Avatar will break ground on Monday. All of the construction vehicles have started to arrive today. Cast bicycle routes backstage close on Sunday due to the construction presence.

Wow, that's...great. :p Yeah, Diz, build a ride around a movie you didn't produce and that no-one will care about by the time the ride's completed. Jeezus!

tl77

Maelstrom is a great ride and I would hate to see it go. If anything, it should provide a blueprint for other rides in the World Showcase which exhibit the culture of the countries.

I completely agree, each World Showcase county has centuries of culture, myths and folk lore to base some type exciting ride around, why they stopped with Maelstrom I'll never know

And I really wouldn't mind them using the Disney characters through out EPCOT, if it was done in the same way as Lion King characters in "The Circle of Life" film at the Land, using them as hosts for the various exhibits.

George1995

Of course I'm against this, they can't possibly do that to what many consider a staple of the WS and EPCOT in general (well they can, but shouldn't).

However, I think the addition of a frozen attraction in MK would be a huge step in the right direction for the parks. Frozen is a huge hit currently and IMO a classic Disney movie that will live on for a long time. I think a Frozen attraction in the park would be a huge hit as long as it is done the classic Disney way with great theming and proper care.

Sped2424

Called this months ago and I was told I was jumping the gun. I knew if the film was on any success of tangled's level this would be the outcome. The movie is exceding tangled's expecations and records, do you guys honestly think they are just going to let it sit especially when they can princess up a pavilion? Now what I wish would happen is that they would build the ride as a seperate area away from malestrom and all of that but that simply isn't going to happen. Maelstrom is living on life support.

Sped2424

.....the 'dumbing down' of society now requires that anything with a semblance of possible educational attributes ...be cartoonized. (ie: Spaceship Earth)

...wanna' mess with Maelstrom? Then use the newest generation of animatrionics to update the trolls, vikings and the polar bear ....but keep the damn cartoon characters out of there.

....all I'm envisioning is a replica of that abortion of a ride in Mexico with those idiotic ducks yapping through the entire trip ...and a display case of representative 'plushie' toys staring you in the face as you exit.
Dont get me wrong when ip's are tied in without thought and care the end result is bad. But I believe there is a cartoon figment who proves when done right the end result is educational and on par with epcots message.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is confirmed? Construction equipment is on-site at Animal Kingdom (other than FOTLK theater construction, of course)?

I can't confirm the equipment but permits were filed back in November for "Morpho - Area Development Early Package" which is likely for prep work for Avatar. We still haven't seen a South Florida Water Management District permit for this project yet so I don't image they can do much beyond some demolition and site prep.

DVC91

Actually it takes Disney 20 years to build a ride based on a "Disney" movie, but Pixar, Star Wars, Avatar... those movies get rides built in much less time :D
Good thing Frozen was a Disney only production then, huh?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind it if they expanded behind Norway and had a section dedicated to Frozen with a family E-ticket as per an earlier post (the film was spectacular), but if you're gonna futz with Maelstrom, at most just update the animatronics and refurb the existing elements.
If they're unwilling to expand the pavilion (more than likely), they'll at least plug them into the princess dinner at Akershus, probably making them a staple with the other princesses revolving as they do now.
As for the Stave Church actually being an exhibit on the life and architecture as presented in the film, it makes me feel like they may be making an effort to move toward updates and additions for quality (I may be setting myself up for failure).

I have to say though - while I'm here - the area where you get off the boat may be one of my favorite exit areas in WDW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom