Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think Off Kilt and Mo'Rockin sincerly contributed to the parks success on their own.

No one thing contributes to the success of any park on it's own, it's the sum of the parts that makes a good park., I have said this before, but there are 100's if not 1000's of details in Disney parks that could be cut individually without diminishing the quality of the parks, but cut to many of them, then you loose what made Disney parks so great.

Where, might I ask, would a Frozen attraction be better suited?

Fantasyland.

cw1982

Except Norway doesn't care about showcasing their history or culture anymore. And I haven't read any posts from outraged Norwegians...

You're showing that you didn't read as much as you claim again. There were even video clips posted of a Norwegian news broadcast where the Norwegians were clearly upset about this. The Norwegian government may not care, but that doesn't make such a thing true of all of Norway.

Where, might I ask, would a Frozen attraction be better suited?

Again, read. It must have been said at least 50 times by now that the best place for such an attraction is MK, followed by HS mainly because HS needs the most help.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Except Norway doesn't care about showcasing their history or culture anymore. And I haven't read any posts from outraged Norwegians...

I don't think Off Kilt and Mo'Rockin sincerly contributed to the parks success on their own.

In this instence, it was the cost of keeping it open combined with decreased interest that lead to its demise. And I didn't say I didn't like WoL, I loved Body Wars when I was younger, but I would rather stand in line for Test Track then check out WoL if it was still open.

CM's are not being let go because of the update. They are being relocated because of the closure.
A lot of Norwegians read this forum, do they?

And who said anything about those acts contributing on their own?

Actually, TDO is no longer currently CMs from Norway to work the pavilion in the future....

And as for where Frozen should go, there's at least two other parks to choose from. But that's discussion for the Imagineering forum, or a podcast....

PlutoHasFleas

If they build an entire attraction based solely around Frozen in Fantasyland, or god-forbid DHS, they will be running the risk of losing a huge investment when this Frozen phenomenon "cools down". An overlay on Maelstrom leaves open the ability to remove the sisters and return it to its original state in the future, allowing them to capitalize on the nostalgiaphiles who will return to see it in its original form.

You're showing that you didn't read as much as you claim again. There were even video clips posted of a Norwegian news broadcast where the Norwegians were clearly upset about this. The Norwegian government may not care, but that doesn't make such a thing true of all of Norway.
I did not make a broad statement about Norwegians. I was pointing out that American Disney fans seem to be vocalizing there objections about losing another part of their beloved World Showcase way more than I see Norwegians upset that their culture will be misrepresented in a theme park.

Again, read. It must have been said at least 50 times by now that the best place for such an attraction is MK, followed by HS mainly because HS needs the most help.
I was asking that question to make a point. You don't have to be so rude.

Mike S

If they build an entire attraction based solely around Frozen in Fantasyland, or god-forbid DHS, they will be running the risk of loosing a huge investment when this Frozen phenomenon "cools down". An overlay on Maelstrom leaves open the ability to remove the sisters and return it to its original state in the future, allowing them to capitalize on the nostalgiaphiles who will return to see it in its original form.

I did not make a broad statement about Norwegians. I was pointing out that American Disney fans seem to be vocalizing there objections about loosing another part of their beloved World Showcase way more than I see Norwegians upset that their culture will be misrepresented in a theme park.

Are you serious? Don't build a bigger attraction out of fear of when Frozen would lose steam? Song of the South must be very popular then, what else could be attracting people to Splash Mountain? Can't be that the ride is just really well done. No, that would be impossible.

RSoxNo1

1. The rate of inflation is not the sole factor of ticket prices going up. The costs of new and upcoming projects at WDW such as New Fanatsyland, Avatar Land, and Disney Springs will be subsidized by increases in ticket prices, we saw this with the $5 raise only for MK to pay for New Fantasyland.
2. Again, parades and other live entertainment are very expensive and attract minimal guests. They are the easiest to close down to subsidize the costs of the three major projects that they are in the middle of. I expect once early phases of Avatar Land become available to the public, AK will bump there ticket prices up $5 as well. The same way I would expect to pay to park in the new parking structure at Disney Springs once open.
3. Are you speaking of the Millinneum Pavilion, which is currently still used for special events?

I don't know if guests are ever pleased by spending more money, but with the amount of new experiences recently delivered and still on the way, most will be understanding of the very slight differences in costs.
Adding attractions justifies a ticket price increase, but ticket prices have increased 28% since 2010 (I believe that was @ParentsOf4's #). There were price increases in years when no new attractions opened, and the price increases were at each park, even those that didn't have new attractions. You're making bad excuses, not providing good answers.

BrerJon

1. The rate of inflation is not the sole factor of ticket prices going up. The costs of new and upcoming projects at WDW such as New Fanatsyland, Avatar Land, and Disney Springs will be subsidized by increases in ticket prices, we saw this with the $5 raise only for MK to pay for New Fantasyland.

The idea that they have to raise ticket prices to pay for expansions is ridiculous. In the 70s,80s and 90s they expanded phenomenally and ticket prices never soared above inflation like they do now. Instead they re-invested profits, and the huge returns WDW makes today are a direct result of the investments made decades ago paying off.

Anyone who believes WDW offers more value for money than it did before either only has a very recent experience of the parks or needs to be reminded of how things used to be when they didn't have the reputation for shaking you upside-down until the last penny falls out of your pockets.

Look at it this way... a Universal one day pass in 2009 was $78. A Magic Kingdom ticket at the same time was $79. Today, a one day Universal ticket is $96 while a MK is $99. So basically the same increase, with MK adding a little bit more.

But what have we got for that increase? The whole of Diagon Alley, Rip-Ride Rocket, Transformers, Despicable Me and Springfield in one park, or the Wizarding World in the other... those are expansions either way that blow New Fantasyland out of the water.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If they build an entire attraction based solely around Frozen in Fantasyland, or god-forbid DHS, they will be running the risk of losing a huge investment when this Frozen phenomenon "cools down". An overlay on Maelstrom leaves open the ability to remove the sisters and return it to its original state in the future, allowing them to capitalize on the nostalgiaphiles who will return to see it in its original form.
Kind of like changing over a country pavilion in the World Showcase for the same reason....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they build an entire attraction based solely around Frozen in Fantasyland, or god-forbid DHS, they will be running the risk of loosing a huge investment when this Frozen phenomenon "cools down". An overlay on Maelstrom leaves open the ability to remove the sisters and return it to its original state in the future, allowing them to capitalize on the nostalgiaphiles who will return to see it in its original form.
They are already planning a sequel to the movie and a broadway show. I don't see Frozen "cooling down" any time soon. They just built a LM ride and a Beauty and the Beast Castle at MK 20+ years after the movie release, plus a seven dwarfs ride based off of really old characters. BOG is impossible to book for dinner and both rides draw a big crowd. If they built a more permanent attraction somewhere for Frozen they wouldn't loose any huge investment when the film popularity eventually drops off. Most of the rides at WDW are not based on current and popular IP. When is the last time you watched Song of the South? Doesn't stop Splash Mountain from having 60 min+ waits.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This is the company that just opened a brand new ride based on a 77 year old movie. Yes, the current hype over Frozen will cool down, but a well done attraction would not loose people interest for the forseable future.

cw1982

I did not make a broad statement about Norwegians. I was pointing out that American Disney fans seem to be vocalizing there objections about losing another part of their beloved World Showcase way more than I see Norwegians upset that their culture will be misrepresented in a theme park.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I find it rude of you to come here and make a bunch of inaccurate and judgmental blanket statements that prove you haven't read the thread, despite your insistence that you have.

And you did make a statement about Norwegians when you said they don't care about the pavilion being changed. Or did I misunderstand you somehow?

ETA : here it is:

Except Norway doesn't care about showcasing their history or culture anymore.

And there is no real risk of losing a ride's popularity once the movie cools down. Look at how popular the rest of the movie based rides at MK are, and then look at the age of those films.

If Maelstrom gets replaced by Frozen, Maelstrom is very unlikely to come back in any kind of recognizable form.

Last edited:

PlutoHasFleas

Adding attractions justifies a ticket price increase, but ticket prices have increased 28% since 2010 (I believe that was @ParentsOf4's #). There were price increases in years when no new attractions opened, and the price increases were at each park, even those that didn't have new attractions. You're making bad excuses, not providing good answers.

The idea that they have to raise ticket prices to pay for expansions is ridiculous. In the 70s,80s and 90s they expanded phenomenally and ticket prices never soared above inflation like they do now. Instead they re-invested profits, and the huge returns WDW makes today are a direct result of the investments made decades ago paying off.

Anyone who believes WDW offers more value for money than it did before either only has a very recent experience of the parks or needs to be reminded of how things used to be when they didn't have the reputation for shaking you upside-down until the last penny falls out of your pockets.

Look at it this way... a Universal one day pass in 2009 was $78. A Magic Kingdom ticket at the same time was $79. Today, a one day Universal ticket is $96 while a MK is $99. So basically the same increase, with MK adding a little bit more.

But what have we got for that increase? The whole of Diagon Alley, Rip-Ride Rocket, Transformers, Despicable Me and Springfield in one park, or the Wizarding World in the other... those are expansions either way that blow New Fantasyland out of the water.
No one individual factor causes ticket prices to go up. It is a very complicated process that I really don't feel like discussing anymore. It's boring.

This is the company that just opened a brand new ride based on a 77 year old movie. Yes, the current hype over Frozen will cool down, but a well done attraction would not loose people interest for the forseable future.
Investing hundreds of millions on another serious expansion and a brand new attraction dedicated specifically to Frozen (a film that was realeased under one ago) is a much bigger risk than bringing a much needed family coaster based on Walt's first fully animated feature to the park. Slap an overlay on the attraction that most closely relates to the film, to satisfy the Frozen thirst for the time being, and rip it out when it dies down and get another surge simply by returning it to the original.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No one individual factor causes ticket prices to go up. It is a very complicated process that I really don't feel like discussing anymore. It's boring.

Investing hundreds of millions on another serious expansion and a brand new attraction dedicated specifically to Frozen (a film that was realeased under one ago) is a much bigger risk than bringing a much needed family coaster based on Walt's first fully animated feature to the park. Slap an overlay on the attraction that most closely relates to the film, to satisfy the Frozen thirst for the time being, and rip it out when it dies down and get another surge simply by returning it to the original.
Well, that's convenient....

No one was talking about spending hundreds of millions on an expansion. He specifically mentioned the SDMT as a single ride. But if you're concerned about the Frozen phenomenon coming to an end, don't convert an actual nation in the World Showcase into a fictional one. Build a new and sustainable ride (such as SDMT) that would survive a dropoff in the popularity of the film....

PlutoHasFleas

Well, that's convenient....

No one was talking about spending hundreds of millions on an expansion. He specifically mentioned the SDMT as a single ride. But if you're concerned about the Frozen phenomenon coming to an end, don't convert an actual nation in the World Showcase into a fictional one. Build a new and sustainable ride (such as SDMT) that would survive a dropoff in the popularity of the film....

Putting a Frozen attraction in Fantasyland would require an expansion and hundreds of millions. Expanding the park would be the most expensive part.

7DMT is a single attraction placed in a pre-existing expansion. To add Frozen, an entire area would have to be cleared and added to the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom