Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

Disney have always made changes to the stories they adapt, sometimes to the extent that they barely resemble the original source material.

And, then, sometimes they make BRILLIANT changes. Tangled, I was really impressed with. They managed to take several disparate story elements within in the Rapunzel story and actually tie it all together. Also, taking the story's blatant message about sex (in the story, Gothel finds out about Flynn because Rapunzel got knocked up) and making it subtle ("You think he loves you? Well, then, give him the crown and see if he sticks around in the morning.") just works so much better.

Really, that's the reason? There's a reason why it earned less money than not only Frozen, but Wreck-it-Ralph and Tangled too, and that is it simply wasn't that good and the masses had no interest in seeing it.

Hey, Princess and the Frog was great. If I had known during it's theatre run that it had a musical number featuring Keith David, I would have seen it everyday in theaters for a week straight. Because I could listen to Keith David all damn day. Also, I enjoyed the pseudo-fractured fairy tale aspect of it.

Magenta Panther

That's what RT says in their summary. Most critics actually said it was a serviceable score, but not one of Disney's best.

I concur. It moved the plot along but can't compare to "Be Our Guest," "Friend Like Me," "Part of Your World," anything in Mary Poppins, "You Can Fly," "Belle Notte," "A Dream Is a Wish..." etc.

I enjoyed Frozen and would like to see an attraction in the MK; however, I won't imagine it was one of the best musical scores EVER just because I liked the movie.

(Of course, there are those who adore "Wicked" even though not one song is memorable unless you hear the soundtrack frequently; and many Broadway critics pointed out its weak score when it premiered. Yet as that link proves, Wicked is one of the most popular musicals of all time, and people have listened to the soundtrack enough to know its hits.)

Funny you should mention "Wicked" in connection to "Frozen"... ;) (In my review of "Frozen" here, I described it, in part, as "Wicked" with snow. Misunderstood bad girl, good girl, meh songs, etc. I gotta hand it to the current Disney scribes/marketing department: at least they know what to steal...)

Matt_Black

"Complicated"? "Issues"? A little boy gets kidnapped by the evil elemental spirit The Snow Queen, and his little friend sets out to rescue him. Along the way she meets a prince and princess, two female shamans, a benign sorceress, and a little robber girl and her band of thieves. They all aid her, and in the end she finds her friend and rescues him. Wow, that's practically War and Peace! Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Well, that's a lot of side characters helping the protagonist. Atlantis: The Lost Empire had about the same number of sidekicks for Milo & Kida. Tell me again how much everyone loves that movie? (I, for one, DO love the movie, but the fact is that it is one of the most atypical Disney Animated features, and as such isn't quite as beloved as others in the canon.)

fngoofy

I'm not sure every ride needs to have a tight story. Why can't it just be a series of neat experiences?

I think trying to "retell" the story in detail is one of the reasons why the Little Mermaid ride is so disappointing.
Well said.
Pirates and HM are both examples of just enough story for you to fill in the blanks with your own imagination.
Same as a good song works because there is just enough bones for you to flesh out the rest on your own, make it your own, and have a strong emotional attachment to it.

Matt_Black

Well said.
Pirates and HM are both examples of just enough story for you to fill in the blanks with your own imagination.
Same as a good song works because there is just enough bones for you to flesh out the rest on your own, make it your own, and have a strong emotional attachment to it.

Yeah, you don't always need a lot of story if the attraction is killer. The coasters are great examples. Most are, as far as coasters go, simple enough. And yet, there's just something about Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain that just makes me feel all tingly.

fngoofy

Yeah, you don't always need a lot of story if the attraction is killer. The coasters are great examples. Most are, as far as coasters go, simple enough. And yet, there's just something about Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain that just makes me feel all tingly.
Yep, and other examples include:
Swiss Family Robinson - The attraction is as basic as you can get, but if you've seen the movie it allows you to project yourself into the adventure
PotC - as mentioned, it allows you to invent your own adventures based on the surroundings
HM - Lots of rooms and spooks for you to create your own spooky adventure
BTM - Gold, runaway mine cars and a town full of strange characters
IaSW - More things to look at than you can imagine, we still find new stuff on every trip
Space Mntn - Uses your imagination to come up with why you are traveling through space, where you will go, the adventures you will have on the way.

Just walking around, an adventure with background music adding to the feeling that you are in the story. I guess that's why I hate the interactive games, it takes away the imagination and spells everything out a little too much. A story like SFR and a tree to explore, great. A video game that I run around and play, waiting for other in front of me to finish? I'll pass.

Matt_Black

Swiss Family Robinson - The attraction is as basic as you can get, but if you've seen the movie it allows you to project yourself into the adventure

Eh. I'm going to disagree with you on that for two reasons. One, I never felt that the film it was based on was all that great. Two, it's basically, "Stairs- The Attraction". Disneyland gets Tarzan, we get the 50 year old movie with Moochie.

FigmentJedi

And you're the one with the Muppets fixation, dude. Two words for you: Lady Gaga. :hilarious:
4aee5737f48eab9e8cb6db02bfa99554ed1fe9ae28ff1deee18ab36755feb89c.jpg

doctornick

Disneyland gets Tarzan, we get the 50 year old movie with Moochie.

I don't see how the Tarzan one is any better. It doesn't even make sense with the movie, since Tarzan wasn't living in a treehouse (except as an infant).

I actually think the SFR treehouse is a nice concept, but it lacks repeatability. Once you've been through it a number of times, it's not all that interesting. YMMV.

Matt_Black

I don't see how the Tarzan one is any better. It doesn't even make sense with the movie, since Tarzan wasn't living in a treehouse (except as an infant).

The treehouse was used quite a bit in both the animated series and in the Tarzan segment of the first Kingdom Hearts.

Sped2424

But since Frozen's story is so weak, what WOULD hold a Frozen ride together?
Again your opinion. Lots of other people ...http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/frozen_2013/, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294629/
Seem to disagree. Also for a ride to be great the story doesn't matter so much as the setting itself, its why I think avatar land is going to pretty cool. Say what you want about frozen's plot can't deny that there are some pretty cool area's in that film.
FROZEN-Elsas-castle.jpg

I for one wouldn't mind going in there ^

Sped2424

But all the principle characters from Kipling's book are still in the Disney version of "Jungle Book". And the basic theme - of a boy raised by jungle animals finally returning to the human world - also remained. Now imagine of all of the characters from the book had been dumped, and Mowgli replaced by a jungle princess. That's pretty much what would have happened if the Robert Iger Company had adapted the book, I bet. Sure, you can sell a lot of jungle animal plush, but a PRINCESS - now you're talking money! :D
Please tell me you have some beef with princess and the frog.

Sped2424

Maybe Frozen should go to MK in the New Fantasyland? Using the wireless system like Pooh's Hunney Hunt in Tokyo, it could be a first class E ticket reason for that area of the park. And just think of the potential for a Christmas overlay! :)
while I completely agree with all of this, is there any space left over in fantasyland at magic kingdom? Without major destruction of the speedway or small world?

asianway

while I completely agree with all of this, is there any space left over in fantasyland at magic kingdom? Without major destruction of the speedway or small world?
You could go and fill the gap between NFE and the RR tracks but I think that parcel would need to go through the wetlands swap process

Sped2424

You could go and fill the gap between NFE and the RR tracks but I think that parcel would need to go through the wetlands swap process
About to go check google maps to scope out areas lol even though I know they are dead set on norway its fun to see what if.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom