Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLapidus

If Frozen was an adaptation of The Snow Queen then I might have an issue with the changes that have been made. But to me it isn't, The Snow Queen has basically become a jumping-off point for the story that has evolved into Frozen, the film stopped being an adaptation a long time ago and is now more loosely "inspired by..." rather than "adapted from...". And I can't say I blame them, Disney have spent decades trying to adapt The Snow Queen without success. The studio back in Walt's time couldn't find a way to make it work on more than one occasion and gave up, Michael Eisner favoured a Legally Blonde-style romantic comedy that never saw the light of day. Some stories just don't translate easily or well to film and this one has given Disney problems for decades. Marketing and merchandise are important factors in filmmaking today but I personally don't think that they are the sole reasons for the changes that have been made in Frozen because of the long history of The Snow Queen at the studio, if it were an easier story to adapt then it would have probably been produced and released by Disney years ago. But that's just my view.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

If people had "wanted" P&tF to succeed as badly as they wanted it for Frozen, we might still have hand-drawn animation right now. :(

Really, that's the reason? There's a reason why it earned less money than not only Frozen, but Wreck-it-Ralph and Tangled too, and that is it simply wasn't that good and the masses had no interest in seeing it. The movie's foreign take was less than John Carter's, Prince of Persia, Tron: Legacy and even Lone Ranger.

And don't go on about Avatar because that movie had no impact on Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Blind Side or Sherlock Holmes doing well that same holiday season.

I'm growing tired of Disney fans giving it a free pass because it was made with pencils. And this is coming from someone who saw both Frog and Winnie the Pooh on their opening days.

Cody5242

Let it Go, Do You Want to Build a Snowman, and For the First Time in Forever have been stuck in my head ever since I first saw the movie. Best soundtrack since the Lion King in my opinion

"Beautifully animated, smartly written, and stocked with singalong songs, Frozen adds another worthy entry to the Disney canon."-Rottentomatoes

It seems that the critic consensus enjoyed the soundtrack

Animaniac93-98

Not all stories translate well into rides. I don't really want a Frozen ride any more than one for, say, Hunchback just because I like both movies.

I'd say a sleigh or toboggan based coaster would be fun. Not all Disney rides have to try and retell the story scene-for-scene. That sometimes gets you less than successful attempts like Mermaid anyway.

elchippo

Honestly, I think the SW mine train idea-with appropriately themed sleighs instead of mine cars-would have made the perfect Frozen ride-or even still, an indoor dark coaster that plays more on thrills and less on the story-is the perfect way to adapt Frozen into ride form...the plot WAS a bit too thin to re-hash as a ride so make it more about theming (coaster through winter landscapes with appearances by Olaf, etc) than plot. It could even be themed around Olaf, really.

Turtle

But with "Frozen", the Robert Iger Company tossed just about everything because how the hell do you market a Robber Girl? Or an old-lady shaman? Or a little boy? But princesses sell like mad, so princesses got inserted in, the Snow Queen got dumped, and the rest is KA-CHING!

Go ahead and try to defend Iger's corporate mentality. I find it amusing.
You're confusing Walt Disney Animation Studios with TDO. Two completely different studios. TDO - CheapWDAS - Tell Stories. Almost a renaissance is starting.For 80 years, the Walt Disney studios have been trying to crack the Snow Queen story. Once they created the two characters as sisters and centered it off of that sibling relationship, it cleared up a lot of the issues. The change was was never intended to make money. And from my understanding, the Snow Queen is still in the film. The story that was in the original Snow Queen was too complicated for film and it wasn't the story they were trying to tell.Magenta, you're just looking for something to whine about since nobody has brought up the Muppets in recent conversation.

FigmentJedi

You're confusing Walt Disney Animation Studios with TDO. Two completely different studios. TDO - CheapWDAS - Tell Stories. Almost a renaissance is starting.For 80 years, the Walt Disney studios have been trying to crack the Snow Queen story. Once they created the two characters as sisters and centered it off of that sibling relationship, it cleared up a lot of the issues. The change was was never intended to make money. And from my understanding, the Snow Queen is still in the film. The story that was in the original Snow Queen was too complicated for film and it wasn't the story they were trying to tell.Magenta, you're just looking for something to whine about since nobody has brought up the Muppets in recent conversation.
The Russians have done the Snow Queen as an animated film twice now (the second one being that CG Snow Queen that's being sold in American Wal-Marts as a Frozen ripoff). The version from the 1950s is widely considered to be a masterpiece by the animation community and was the film that inspired Hayao Miyazaki to stay in the Animation Industry when he was having doubts about himself.

The Snow Queen isn't that hard a story to translate, the problem was that Disney got too caught up in the idea of a Snow Queen that they ignored the Road Trip story that was practically screaming "MAKE ME INTO A DISNEY MOVIE". Despite the title, the Snow Queen isn't really in the story that much and isn't even at home when Gerda comes in to find Kai. The Russian films tried to solve this problem by making her a slightly more active villain in setting the events into motion and being defeated by the act of love. The ambiguity of the Snow Queen lead to other adaptations making her more sympathetic such as Hallmark's version having Gerda's actions end up thawing her own heart and redeeming her or a recent anime adaptation having the Snow Queen try and protect Kai from the mirror shards's evil and the demon that created the mirror becoming the real villain.

It wasn't that hard to have both an adaptation of the original story and make the Snow Queen more of a character, but somehow it was to Disney.

tirian

I'm not sure every ride needs to have a tight story. Why can't it just be a series of neat experiences?

I think trying to "retell" the story in detail is one of the reasons why the Little Mermaid ride is so disappointing.
A trip through the world of Frozen would be much more exciting than reliving the movie plot.

tirian

Let it Go, Do You Want to Build a Snowman, and For the First Time in Forever have been stuck in my head ever since I first saw the movie. Best soundtrack since the Lion King in my opinion

"Beautifully animated, smartly written, and stocked with singalong songs, Frozen adds another worthy entry to the Disney canon."-Rottentomatoes

It seems that the critic consensus enjoyed the soundtrack

That's what RT says in their summary. Most critics actually said it was a serviceable score, but not one of Disney's best.

I concur. It moved the plot along but can't compare to "Be Our Guest," "Friend Like Me," "Part of Your World," anything in Mary Poppins, "You Can Fly," "Belle Notte," "A Dream Is a Wish..." etc.

I enjoyed Frozen and would like to see an attraction in the MK; however, I won't imagine it was one of the best musical scores EVER just because I liked the movie.

(Of course, there are those who adore "Wicked" even though not one song is memorable unless you hear the soundtrack frequently; and many Broadway critics pointed out its weak score when it premiered. Yet as that link proves, Wicked is one of the most popular musicals of all time, and people have listened to the soundtrack enough to know its hits.)

FigmentJedi

As far as a Frozen ride goes, put it into Magic Kingdom and adapt Marc Davis's Enchanted Snow Palace concept. Make it something like a roadtrip to the mountain castle, which Elsa uses as a vacation home or something.

WDWDad13

How about build an ice castle in DHS or where the Odyssey is in Epcot with a ride and meet and greet area.

Magenta Panther

"Complicated"? "Issues"? A little boy gets kidnapped by the evil elemental spirit The Snow Queen, and his little friend sets out to rescue him. Along the way she meets a prince and princess, two female shamans, a benign sorceress, and a little robber girl and her band of thieves. They all aid her, and in the end she finds her friend and rescues him. Wow, that's practically War and Peace! Give me a break. :rolleyes:

And you're the one with the Muppets fixation, dude. Two words for you: Lady Gaga. :hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom