Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkTwain

Can we add it's one of the weakest soundtracks in Disney musical history? Even critics who like it have admitted there's not a single hummable tune...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. For all the acclaim about the soundtrack, I never thought any of the songs were that strong or memorable...

tirian

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. For all the acclaim about the soundtrack, I never thought any of the songs were that strong or memorable...
I think it's all of us old guys in our 20s who grew up with the Disney Renaissance and rereleased classics in theaters...

Magenta Panther

I completely agree. I'm frankly mystified at the fuss. I have a feeling that people want this movie to be another Lion King, or Aladdin, or Beauty and the Beast, and indeed, want it so badly that so they're overhyping it, especially the soundtrack. But the movie's strongest song, "Let It Go", isn't even as well-written or memorable as "Almost There" from PatF. I'm glad the movie is a huge hit, of course, because that has restored Walt Disney Feature Animation to prominence, where it belongs. But I'm still bummed that we'll never see a really good Disney version of "The Snow Queen". Oh, what might have been...

Still, if a ride - a whole NEW ride - was built around Frozen, I'd be very happy. The snow and ice motif itself, in the middle of balmy Florida, would be enticement enough. I'm glad that TDO is apparently considering a ride..as long as it doesn't amount to a quickie overlay on Maelstrom...though I have a bad feeling, given the placement of the Frozen princess meet and greets, and the overlay on the Stave Church, that it's all too likely to happen...

Magenta Panther

Maybe Frozen should go to MK in the New Fantasyland? Using the wireless system like Pooh's Hunney Hunt in Tokyo, it could be a first class E ticket reason for that area of the park. And just think of the potential for a Christmas overlay! :)

Now you're talking! This is a great idea!

Tigger1988

Not just you, and the only good song Let It Go is just a reheated version of Defying Gravity. Menzel did it all before (and better).

Magenta Panther

I know, right? And Quasimodo should have totally died of starvation while sleeping on Esmeralda's corpse, just like in the book! If a movie doesn't strictly hew to the guidelines set by an author who's been dead for a century or more, then it's awful!

Yeah, you guys can all pretty much stick it. I'm well aware of the changes that books go through on their often arduous, painful journey to the silver screen. The original Robin Hood story wasn't populated by animals, duh. The Seven Dwarfs never had names. Cinderella's wicked sisters got their eyes pecked out by birds. The Little Mermaid died. Beauty and the Beast primarily consisted of endless dinners where the Beauty turned down the Beast's request for marriage, over and over. But Disney still retained the basic elements of those stories, and other stories, because it was those elements that made those tales memorable. But with "Frozen", the Robert Iger Company tossed just about everything because how the hell do you market a Robber Girl? Or an old-lady shaman? Or a little boy? But princesses sell like mad, so princesses got inserted in, the Snow Queen got dumped, and the rest is KA-CHING!

Go ahead and try to defend Iger's corporate mentality. I find it amusing.

EPCOTCenterLover

Perhaps the lack of truly memorable tunes is an advantage for the ride. Imagine (if you will!) a dark ride where the focus on is mystery and scenery and doesn't rely on its stellar musical numbers to pull the story together. Imagine the background music being just that. (Yes, I'm looking at you Little Mermaid attraction.)

Magenta Panther

Perhaps the lack of truly memorable tunes is an advantage for the ride. Imagine (if you will!) a dark ride where the focus on is mystery and scenery and doesn't rely on its stellar musical numbers to pull the story together. Imagine the background music being just that. (Yes, I'm looking at you Little Mermaid attraction.)

But since Frozen's story is so weak, what WOULD hold a Frozen ride together?

FrankLapidus

I guess we can say disney has been changing source material and Disneyfing it for years then huh?

Pretty much since day one. My favourite example of this is Walt Disney giving his story team a copy of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book and telling them "the first thing I want you do is not read it". And this was after the studio's best story-man Bill Peet had left Disney because he and Walt had fallen out over Peet's initial pitch for a more faithful adaptation. Disney have always made changes to the stories they adapt, sometimes to the extent that they barely resemble the original source material.

CDavid

Moore's law and communication have outpaced what can be learned in a passing glance of theme park experiences

On the contrary, technology never outpaces effective storytelling and presentation, it merely changes the format and media and other tools we use to convey the experience. The latest technology developments in 2014 are no less wondrous and no less applicable to a theme-park environment than were the cutting edge developments in 1982. Spaceship Earth never presented an in-depth analysis of the whole of communication progress, but the previous lack of thirty-two years history didn't make the challenge any easier. Yet, what it does present remains both informative and entertaining within the theme park setting (setting aside the glaring deficiencies and badly dumbed-down presentation of the Siemens sponsored refurbishment).

The Wold of Motion and original Universe of Energy were hardly exhaustive treatments of their subjects, but neither hybrid cars nor alternative sources of energy are any less applicable to the pavilions' respective presentations than V-8 engines and petroleum exploration were.

MarkTwain

I completely agree. I'm frankly mystified at the fuss. I have a feeling that people want this movie to be another Lion King, or Aladdin, or Beauty and the Beast, and indeed, want it so badly that so they're overhyping it, especially the soundtrack. But the movie's strongest song, "Let It Go", isn't even as well-written or memorable as "Almost There" from PatF. I'm glad the movie is a huge hit, of course, because that has restored Walt Disney Feature Animation to prominence, where it belongs. But I'm still bummed that we'll never see a really good Disney version of "The Snow Queen". Oh, what might have been...

Still, if a ride - a whole NEW ride - was built around Frozen, I'd be very happy. The snow and ice motif itself, in the middle of balmy Florida, would be enticement enough. I'm glad that TDO is apparently considering a ride..as long as it doesn't amount to a quickie overlay on Maelstrom...though I have a bad feeling, given the placement of the Frozen princess meet and greets, and the overlay on the Stave Church, that it's all too likely to happen...

I completely agree, at least with the portion regarding the soundtrack and the hype around the movie. Where was this hype around Princess and the Frog though, which (as you said) has the stronger soundtrack? If people had "wanted" P&tF to succeed as badly as they wanted it for Frozen, we might still have hand-drawn animation right now. :(

Magenta Panther

Pretty much since day one. My favourite example of this is Walt Disney giving his story team a copy of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book and telling them "the first thing I want you do is not read it". And this was after the studio's best story-man Bill Peet had left Disney because he and Walt had fallen out over Peet's initial pitch for a more faithful adaptation. Disney have always made changes to the stories they adapt, sometimes to the extent that they barely resemble the original source material.

But all the principle characters from Kipling's book are still in the Disney version of "Jungle Book". And the basic theme - of a boy raised by jungle animals finally returning to the human world - also remained. Now imagine of all of the characters from the book had been dumped, and Mowgli replaced by a jungle princess. That's pretty much what would have happened if the Robert Iger Company had adapted the book, I bet. Sure, you can sell a lot of jungle animal plush, but a PRINCESS - now you're talking money! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom