Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

See, that was my gripe about the "Frozen" film. The "Snow Queen" story was completely changed and most of its characters jettisoned for something more marketable - like two - count 'em - TWO princesses! Ka-ching! :p

Yeah, and the Lion King was supposed to be Hamlet, and Simba didn't stab anyone hiding behind a curtain or drive his girlfriend insane! Stupid corporate sensibilities and merchandise driven decisions!

FigmentJedi

Yeah, and the Lion King was supposed to be Hamlet, and Simba didn't stab anyone hiding behind a curtain or drive his girlfriend insane! Stupid corporate sensibilities and merchandise driven decisions!
Please, Hamlet's just the cover story. We all know what the biggest inspiration for Lion King was after all.

white-lion-lion-king.jpg

But seriously, Lion King isn't all Hamlet and Kimba. It was a gumbo including those things, Bambi, Old Testament stories and the Fisher King stuff of Arthurian legend.

tl77

I know, right? And Quasimodo should have totally died of starvation while sleeping on Esmeralda's corpse, just like in the book! If a movie doesn't strictly hew to the guidelines set by an author who's been dead for a century or more, then it's awful!

The Little Mermaid is supposed to die at the end and there shouldn't be any singing crabs in it, and the Jungle Book certainly shouldn't have any singing in it either... who do Disney think they are adding in all that lousy entertainment value?

Sped2424

I for one am mad about how much they changed the source material for mary poppins. NOT once does she sing in the books and she was made to be far too pretty.. And singing cartoon penguins? DON'T GET ME STARTED. (saracasmmm) I believe P.L travers listed all the things different from the film adaption. I guess we can say disney has been changing source material and Disneyfing it for years then huh?

Matt_Black

They'd be stupid not to. Box office success, critical acclaim, audiences love it, soundtrack is selling like gangbusters, merch is moving like hotcakes. People love the characters. The success of this film has eclipsed everything Walt Disney Studios Animation has done in the past 15 years, and it looks to be catching up to the heyday of the early-to-mid 90s.

Sped2424

They'd be stupid not to. Box office success, critical acclaim, audiences love it, soundtrack is selling like gangbusters, merch is moving like hotcakes. People love the characters. The success of this film has eclipsed everything Walt Disney Studios Animation has done in the past 15 years, and it looks to be catching up to the heyday of the early-to-mid 90s.
I still can't believe the album is number 1 on itunes, its beating beyonce and lady gaga, which I find insane. Hopefully this will turn walt disney and other studios back to the idea of musicals. As I loved anastasia and thumbelina and both weren't disney flicks. I just wanna see more musicals!

Matt_Black

Anyway, Disney has slowly been coming back around to the idea of musicals. The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Winnie the Pooh were tentative steps in that direction, and all were liked enough to apparently keep moving in that direction, allowing Frozen to jump proudly onto the pop culture scene, jazz hands waving, shouting "Musical number" as loud as possible. AND IT'S WORKING.

FitzherbertFreak

I still can't believe the album is number 1 on itunes, its beating beyonce and lady gaga, which I find insane. Hopefully this will turn walt disney and other studios back to the idea of musicals. As I loved anastasia and thumbelina and both weren't disney flicks. I just wanna see more musicals!
Last week (for literally a day) it was number 2. Beyonce pulls ahead! :p

FitzherbertFreak

Anyway, Disney has slowly been coming back around to the idea of musicals. The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Winnie the Pooh were tentative steps in that direction, and all were liked enough to apparently keep moving in that direction, allowing Frozen to jump proudly onto the pop culture scene, jazz hands waving, shouting "Musical number" as loud as possible. AND IT'S WORKING.
I just can't wait for Aladdin to come out on Broadway!

aladdin2007

Heres how it could go down. TDO will of course go with the less expensive kiddie overlay option and not use the perfectly good space next door.

the pavilion will be turned into either Arendale (or whatever its called) or Scandinavia. The ride will simply be called Frozen. The uphill will be screen based on both sides, then olaf will greet you. then in the troll forest the trolls will be gone and the snow queen in their place, she will send the boats backwords into the sea and fjord,,maybe with a moose or one of the other characters in between etc. then after the drop, the oil rig on the right side will be covered with a big black curtain, and then the left wall will be screen based, (tho being a water ride probably not, just thinking off top of head) and there ya go.

I wouldnt expect much more within Epcot with their recent track record on how they go about attractions and redos (testtrack doesnt count as it was sponsor funded).

Goofyernmost

I haven't really been following this story at all, but, I do have a question. Is Norway still footing the bill for the pavilion? If so, I doubt that you will see Frozen in there. If they aren't, let them go with Frozen otherwise there will be another place for the Food, Wine and Flower festival to locate.:grumpy:

Matt_Black

I haven't really been following this story at all, but, I do have a question. Is Norway still footing the bill for the pavilion? If so, I doubt that you will see Frozen in there. If they aren't, let them go with Frozen otherwise there will be another place for the Food, Wine and Flower festival to locate.:grumpy:

Did Norway ever foot the bill? I was under the impression that the only country that had direct sponsorship was Morocco, with the rest being made up by companies located within the country who had reasons to promote tourism.

Goofyernmost

Did Norway ever foot the bill? I was under the impression that the only country that had direct sponsorship was Morocco, with the rest being made up by companies located within the country who had reasons to promote tourism.
Well, whoever, are they still paying? Same result, I think!

Matt_Black

Well, whoever, are they still paying? Same result, I think!

Well, you'll notice that Disney is using Frozen to promote their Adventures by Disney and get folks to take a trip to Norway, so they might not have a problem with them continuing to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom