Frozen Ever After opening day

mickEblu

While I love seeing the new tech, I hope they will keep some of the attractions in their original form like Splash and Pan. I would be concerned they would lose their charm.

For the most part I agree with you. However, I think making some of the key or focal AA's more advanced wouldnt be a bad idea. Because they are cartoon animal AAs I think it would work nicely. I wouldn't recommned doing this for POTC at DL for example.

Goofyernmost

This ride is very nice and all, but if this is an E-ticket, what does that make something like Splash Mountain?
Actually, I have addressed this before with little success, but, I still believe it. First off, there is no "E" category. That was something that was used to justify charging extra for the right to ride it. That was abandoned as soon as EPCOT showed up. No one except the guys that used to classify those attractions really knew what criteria was used to determine what was an A or and E. It seemed to hinge more on popularity then quality. I guess that the law of averages would mean that some of the best attractions would have gotten the coveted "E" rating. Now that there is no "official" rating system for what constitutes that rating, we, the fan base, have taken it on ourselves to make that determination. A number of people place that rating on quality, length, fear factor and other things that they are pulling from the sky. There is no definition for "E" partially because they never identified them and also because it no longer exists except in the minds of some fans. I'm not one of them. If I were to use the original criteria of whatever the public wanted to see the most so we can charge more money for it, then I base it on popularity. Of course Splash Mtn. would have been an E along with BTMR, Space Mtn. and others at this point.

We must remember that the Tiki Room was once an E, along with Country Bears and Small World and others. Are they no longer quality or have they just dropped in popularity and therefore no longer considered E's by the self appointed experts? Personally based on my judgement 7DMT, Frozen, TSM are among the attractions that would today be considered E's. Are they the marvels that the old ones were? Actually, yes and they are popular too. If Disney were to decide tomorrow what would now be considered an E, you can bet your last dollar that those would be included in the extra money category.

Last edited:

No Name

I like the AAs in Frozen, but I believe they work best for translating animated characters into three dimensions. I don't think the same projected face stuff would work for human figures like those found in The American Adventure. Just in case someone at WDI is thinking about that.

Yeah I agree. And I think they understand that, because the Navi AAs in Avatar Land won't have projection in the faces. So those shouldn't look animated. I agree that this does work best (or only) for animated characters.

THIS would be an example of cheesy and cheap....
DisneySpringBreak2013052_zps728a226b-500x333.jpg

Ariel looks so so off and bizarre. But I actually love it. I actually kind of like the warehouse feel to the ride that everyone else complains about.

And I'd consider myself the only person on this website who doesn't really like the post-refurb version (new, darker lighting) better. That picture is from the old lighting, I think. Though even after the refurb, ariel still looks high and the style of the ride still remains. So I don't mind too much. If others like it better, I suppose it was a good idea.

Please don't exile me for saying that!

There's a certain style to this Frozen ride that I really like too. I can't describe it, I just feel it.

How much would it cost to to re do Splash Mountain with advanced AA's like these? I'm kidding but at least for the important ones? Brer Rabbit/ Fox/ Bear.

Yeah, they'll redo the AAs when it gets rethemed to Zootopia... :hilarious:

But in all seriousness... I'd have to see it to decide if I'd even like it. I think there's a certain charm to the ride that replacing the animatronics might destroy.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Note that hourly capacity and ride length have nothing to do with each other. More people do not get to ride if the track is longer. The ride could be an hour in length, and while that would keep more people off of the pathways, in no way would it allow more people to ride. Just saying that because I saw a few worrying comments.

I don't think that's true, where did you get that from?

Good picture!

But to who asked the question, in case that doesn't make it clear... basically, for Maelstrom, the load and unload areas were completely seperate. So after you got off, the boat had to travel some distance to get to the loading station. Now, the load and unload are pratically touching each other, so you're in the boat for the entire duration. By moving the load and unload closer together, they increased the ride time. A very smart idea, I'd say.

So from the picture, it may look like they added only a tiny bit of track (the S-bend). And that's true. But the ride is significantly longer due to them having moved the loading station.
I've heard it from a couple of credible people here. Can't remember who they were though.

PhotoDave219

Actually, I have addressed this before with little success, but, I still believe it. First off, there is no "E" category. That was something that was used to justify charging extra for the right to ride it. That was abandoned as soon as EPCOT showed up. No one except the guys that used to classify those attractions really new what criteria was used to determine what was an A or and E. It seemed to hinge more on popularity then quality. I guess that the law of averages would mean that some of the best attractions would have gotten the coveted "E" rating. Now that there is no "official" rating system for what constitutes that rating, we, the fan base, have taken it on ourselves to make that determination. A number of people place that rating on quality, length, fear factor and other things that they are pulling from the sky. There is no definition for "E" partially because they never identified them and also because it no longer exists except in the minds of some fans. I'm not one of them. If I were to use the original criteria of whatever the public wanted to see the most so we can charge more money for it, then I base it on popularity. Of course Splash Mtn. would have been an E along with BTMR, Space Mtn. and others at this point.

We must remember that the Tiki Room was once an E, along with Country Bears and Small World and others. Are they no longer quality or have they just dropped in popularity and therefore no longer considered E's by the self appointed experts? Personally based on my judgement 7DMT, Frozen, TSM are among the attractions that would today be considered E's. Are they the marvels that the old ones were? Actually, yes and they are popular too. If Disney were to decide tomorrow what would now be considered an E, you can bet your last dollar that those would be included in the extra money category.

I've never really saw the point to arguing over whether something is an "E" attraction or not.

I would put this attraction in a "must-do" category.... which is a problem at 900 guests/hr.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, I have addressed this before with little success, but, I still believe it. First off, there is no "E" category. That was something that was used to justify charging extra for the right to ride it. That was abandoned as soon as EPCOT showed up. No one except the guys that used to classify those attractions really new what criteria was used to determine what was an A or and E. It seemed to hinge more on popularity then quality. I guess that the law of averages would mean that some of the best attractions would have gotten the coveted "E" rating. Now that there is no "official" rating system for what constitutes that rating, we, the fan base, have taken it on ourselves to make that determination. A number of people place that rating on quality, length, fear factor and other things that they are pulling from the sky. There is no definition for "E" partially because they never identified them and also because it no longer exists except in the minds of some fans. I'm not one of them. If I were to use the original criteria of whatever the public wanted to see the most so we can charge more money for it, then I base it on popularity. Of course Splash Mtn. would have been an E along with BTMR, Space Mtn. and others at this point.

I think most people are aware of the history of the ticket system. In today's world the A-E ticket designation does not have the same meaning as it did when they sold the ticket books. It's used today internally at WDI and in the fan community to describe the scope and quality of a ride. Forget the economics behind the system from the past. It probably has a slightly different meaning for everyone, but IMHO, a true E ticket has to be a park headliner. An attraction with either cutting edge technology or a grand scope and long run time. A high quality ride which lacks the scope and/or length of an E-ticket is usually considered a D (7DMT). C is the next level down. I rarely hear anyone talk about A or B anymore.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've never really saw the point to arguing over whether something is an "E" attraction or not.

I would put this attraction in a "must-do" category.... which is a problem at 900 guests/hr.
I think this will be on my "no FP, no ride" list with 7DMT. I'm not waiting in line over 30-40 mins for a ride under 5 mins. I'd go up to an hour for a ride like Splash. 900 guests/hr is definitely a problem:confused:

Mike S

Looks like Disney does still use it, and in a way consistent with what fans would think.
For the first time ever, a Disney Park will be home to a Pirates-themed land—Treasure Cove—and an e-ticket attraction called Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure. The attraction will feature a combination of new technology and innovation to bring guests along a pirate adventure with Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Davy Jones, providing our guests who visit the Shanghai Disneyland Park an experience unlike anything else in the world.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/03/shanghai-disneylands-treasure-cove-unveiled/

It has also been stated many times that Disney internally refers to the rides in Avatar Land as an E Ticket for Flight of Passage and a C Ticket for Na'vi River Journey. You just ignore all of it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like Disney does still use it, and in a way consistent with what fans would think.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/03/shanghai-disneylands-treasure-cove-unveiled/

It has also been stated many times that Disney internally refers to the rides in Avatar as an E Ticket for Flight of Passage and a C Ticket for Na'vi River Journey. You just ignore all of it.
That was on the original leaked plans, but there is no chance that when Avatar opens that they refer to the boat ride as a C. I'm betting if there is a reference to the rides they will both be hyped as E. Based on recent additions there is almost no chance the boat ride ends up a C ticket anyway. That would be really disappointing.

RSoxNo1

It has also been stated many times that Disney internally refers to the rides in Avatar Land as an E Ticket for Flight of Passage and a C Ticket for Na'vi River Journey. You just ignore all of it.
FYI, Disney broke their pseudo radio silence today with an all encompassing What's new, What's next press release. In it, they mention Flight of Passage by name, but not Na'vi River Journey. Could be nothing, but with the potential concern about the boat ride being delayed there may be something there.

Last edited:

mickEblu

IMO and I'm sure many agree, all of the old school Fantasyland dark rides are popular because of their nostalgia, charm and place in History. If Disney had unveiled a Frozen ride yesterday on the scale of Mr. Toad with no AAs and card board cut outs people wouldn't be too happy. Yet, Toad is revered as one of the all time great Fantasyland style dark rides. I think sometimes people forget to take into account that one of the best things the old fantasyland dark rides have going for them ( aside from WED and nostalgic IPs) is that they did not have to be compliant with all of these modern safety restrictions. Something about all of those tight turns and being so close to the sets and props on the older rides is a huge part of what makes them a success. Because it certainly isn't the technology or mind blowing sets and animatronics.

Frozen Ever After is the modern template of what a solid Fantasyland dark ride should be. I don't think it's fair to compare it to E tickets like POTC or even the older Fantasyland rides. That would be apples/ oranges. The only fair comparison would be the newer FL style dark rides like Mermaid , Monsters, SDMT, and Pooh. And if we want to be fair, from what I'm seeing, this attraction has set a new standard. From the videos it feels like it has the charm of the older FL dark rides with modern bells and whistles. Kind of like Pan in Shanghai.

A few of my complaints about Frozen Ever After... I think the AAs could have been doing more stuff and not just talking and waving to the audience like someone pointed out earlier on this thread. Also ,they avoided the book report style ride but still managed to make you feel like you are not being totally immersed in that world by going over the top with some of the audio to try and include us. Where Anna says that we, the audience, are "born ready" to meet Elsa is particularly bothersome. That's obviously a line for the younger ones though so what do I know? Anyway I would have liked a little more spirit of adventure and not a semi failed attempt to avoid a book report ride by talking directly to us over and over again so we feel included.

MagicHappens1971

FYI, Disney broker their pseudo radio silence today with an all encompassing What's new, What's next press release. In it, they mention Flight of Passage by name, but not Na'vi River Journey. Could be nothing, but with the potential concern about the boat ride being delayed there may be something there.
Where'd you see the new press release?

brb1006

Yeah I feel the same way, I meant for attractions like Peter Pans Flight, Snow Whites Scary Adventures (DL). I've seen a few people say the projection AAs look chessy and cheap but I personally feel it adds more life to the AA.
I wish they somehow found a way to update the queue at the Buzz attraction since his face is hard to see. Even his Disneyland counterpart looks more easier to see.

Daveeeeed

I think most people are aware of the history of the ticket system. In today's world the A-E ticket designation does not have the same meaning as it did when they sold the ticket books. It's used today internally at WDI and in the fan community to describe the scope and quality of a ride. Forget the economics behind the system from the past. It probably has a slightly different meaning for everyone, but IMHO, a true E ticket has to be a park headliner. An attraction with either cutting edge technology or a grand scope and long run time. A high quality ride which lacks the scope and/or length of an E-ticket is usually considered a D (7DMT). C is the next level down. I rarely hear anyone talk about A or B anymore.
For me...

E - The top of the top: Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey. Dinasaur too, even though Indy is way better so it comes to the point of Headliner E ticket vs. Super-Headlier E ticket.

D - high quality ride just shorter and not as a grand scale as an E ex. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Buzz Lightyear

C - What would be the stereotypical fantasyland dark ride.

B - Usually just flat rides. Ex. Dumbo

A - a walkthrough, Meet and Greet, or "lesson" like The Magic of Disney Animation.

Don't get me started on Journey into Imaginaion With Figment. It deserves an A, but to be fair the scale is more along with a D or C so there's more to do than just the scale like @PhotoDave219 said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom