Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar R M

TDO has no shame and it's obvious.

meanwhile.. at Corporate Disney

U2lRjBT.jpg

Cesar R M

Except there's been no Frozen 2 announced yet. 2016 is set for Moana from WDAS and Finding Dory from Pixar. Now it's quite possible they might farm that out to Disney Toon Studios, but given Lasseter's views on sequels to films from "the canon" it's more likely to be done by WDAS. All we know for certain is we're getting the short Frozen Fever sometime in 2015.
they still cannot wait more than 2 years. Look what happened to How to train your dragon 2.

ParentsOf4

That's what I've been saying - putting Frozen in Maelstrom's place is going to be a mess - a mess that could affect all of World Showcase. I dread the idea of walking down there and having to somehow squeeze past the seething mass of humanity that's going to be clotting the Norway courtyard and everywhere around it. Hundreds of little girls in Elsa costumes will infest France, Japan, Great Britain, Mexico...gah...horrifying.
I'm less concerned about who is present in the World Showcase and more concerned how Disney intends to handle what could become a horrendous bottleneck.

I recall a time less than a decade ago when it was genuinely pleasant to wander about the World Showcase without dodging other Guests who (understandably) were not paying attention to where they were walking.

My last few trips to the World Showcase have been much more sketchy. Between higher crowd levels, the plethora of lakeside booths narrowing walkways, and Disney constantly pushing alcohol, the World Showcase has become less like a World's Fair and more like an Oktoberfest.

I suspect adding an extremely popular child-friendly IP to an existing low-capacity attraction will make a deteriorating situation even worse.

Why not add more pavilions? Why not remove some of the booths? Why not add a few high capacity rides?

The answer to all of these is the same: money.

Considering Parks & Resorts total budget, Epcot's Frozen project is going to cost little more than a rounding error while, I suspect, cause new headaches not merely for Cast Members but Guests as well. :(

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Can someone explain to me why everyone is calling the Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom an overlay? Because to me that implies that they are just covering up everything Maelstrom and putting Frozen stuff in front of it, kind of like what they do with the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. With the money they are spending and the time that they are taking, I would think they are remaking the ride not redressing the ride, no?:angelic:
There was only about six months to design the new attraction when it normally takes about two years.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Before Disney destroyed the Norway Pavilion it was my favorite country at Epcot. Putting a princess dining experience at Akershus started the bottleneck phase.

Meanwhile the old Osyssey Restaurant sits quietly unused in an area large enough to accomodate large crowds and has plenty of room for strollers and large restrooms. An guest curiosity for the past 20 years that could easily be renovated to whatever Disney needs that doesn't take away from anything around it. :banghead:

Yes remember when Akershus had a Norwegian cold buffet with smoked fish and cheeses and other dishes including venison stew. A meal there allowed one to take a small tour of Norway's culinary history as a seafaring nation.

Now its a dumbed down princess meal.

Magenta Panther

Before Disney destroyed the Norway Pavilion it was my favorite country at Epcot. Putting a princess dining experience at Akershus started the bottleneck phase.

Meanwhile the old Osyssey Restaurant sits quietly unused in an area large enough to accomodate large crowds and has plenty of room for strollers and large restrooms. An guest curiosity for the past 20 years that could easily be renovated to whatever Disney needs that doesn't take away from anything around it. :banghead:

Norway was my favorite too! It was the first place I headed to after entering WS. I loved the eerie Stave Church, the foods at Akershus, the clothing and troll figurines at the gift shops, and Kringla!!!!

And Maelstrom...I loved it...I don't care if it was never even a D ticket or whatever. It was otherworldly and original and fun. And I don't care if the Frozen ride that's replacing it turns out to be good. It doesn't belong there. Period!

aladdin2007

Yes remember when Akershus had a Norwegian cold buffet with smoked fish and cheeses and other dishes including venison stew. A meal there allowed one to take a small tour of Norway's culinary history as a seafaring nation.

Agree, was our favorite restaurant. And was only $12.95 for lunch lol. they have turned it into a.... whatever one wants want to call it, probably best I keep the terms to myself as they are not very nice :). Just wait till frozen opens, wont be able to get anywhere from mexico to china.

Bairstow

Can someone explain to me why everyone is calling the Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom an overlay? Because to me that implies that they are just covering up everything Maelstrom and putting Frozen stuff in front of it, kind of like what they do with the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. With the money they are spending and the time that they are taking, I would think they are remaking the ride not redressing the ride, no?:angelic:

I like to think it's hope; hope, however naive, that in some distant year someone with taste will be put in a position of power at Epcot and undo the damage currently being done to the pavilion.

DarthGrady

"A dumbed down princess meal"

That's sort of an allegory for what all of EPCOT will eventually be if Disney continues down their current path.

Just one cheap toy commercial after another. Bereft of everything that made it so great once. They may as well just merge EPCOT with MK now and get the slow death over with.

Sped2424

Frozen 2 will probably be out around that time. And even if it's half of the current Frozen mania, the area can't handle big crowds... And Frozen will still be huge by then... And it will be falsely advertised as a new attraction... Those two things will attract major crowds... Of little kids and parents... In World Showcase and Boozefest. Nice.
Frozen 2 is not coming out within the next year and a half by anymeans. We are looking at 2018 at the EARLIEST.

Kman101

The sing along was alright when it was temporary but if they are going to make it a permanent addition I would hope they could upgrade...well just about everything.

I thought it was actually OK, I liked the "royal historians" aspect of it (the best part), but for me, it was too much home-video sing-along. They should have had the actors on-stage (the live actor portion works) re-telling the story and singing, encouraging the kids to join in. The live actor portions were the best, and now that they have an Olaf costume they should add him. I hope if it gets moved or sticks around they plus it. I know it was quick but if you have the actors already there ... why are they off-stage the entire show?

Or, better yet, combine Little Mermaid, Frozen, Beauty & the Beast, Princess and the Frog, and Tangled into a musical using aspects of the Mermaid show and Beauty & the Beast show and voila, one big show for the Studios which frees up the Mermaid spot and in a way gets rid of Beauty and the Beast while keeping it at the same time. As much as I love B&TB and Mermaid, that way we're not stuck with just Frozen or Tangled (I'd love to see the comedy re-telling from Disneyland!) for the next 20 years.

misterID

Frozen 2 is not coming out within the next year and a half by anymeans. We are looking at 2018 at the EARLIEST.
No, more like 2017.

EDIT: I actually wouldn't be surprised if they got it out by Dec 2016. Outside of Pixar, it normally takes 3-4 years, usually 3, for animated sequels, not 5-6 like you're suggesting.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, more like 2017.

EDIT: I actually wouldn't be surprised if they got it out by Dec 2016. Outside of Pixar, it normally takes 3-4 years, usually 3, for animated sequels, not 5-6 like you're suggesting.
I also would not be surprised with a Christmas 2016 release pushing back other projects because they have dollar signs in their eyes and now Frozen 2 "the dry ice years" is a "sure thing" in TWDC's estimation

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I disagree. I think the ear worms that are the songs mixed with the Saturday Morning Cartoon storyline and humor, blended with the amazing (and they are amazing) visuals made this a "hey, you need to go see this" conversation around the water cooler.

Does the merch do well? Sure.

The real question is what will that movie mean to people who grow up and have kids. I can still watch and enjoy LM, BaaB and Aladdin. But, Frozen, I've only seen a few times...and it's just so trope and tired.

But, you're right. It's a useless argument at this point, because only time will tell. If this becomes the new "standard" for Disney Princess movies, I'm going to be severely disappointed.
BaaB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom