Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

They can't put any 2016 project on the back burner as that stuff is ready to go. Now the 2017 stuff isn't their department it's pixars. The only thing I could see happening is the pushing back of the untitled pixar project. But considering how that's the untitled Dia de Los Muertos film that sounds like a bad pr move. 2018 is enough time to garner hype for this film.

Isn't Giants tentatively scheduled for 2017, anyway?

Matt_Black

I just don't think they will wait 5 years for a sequel. I'd bet that the very moment they knew it was a hit they mobilized a team to start the sequel. Heck, they may have even started the sequel during the post production of the first movie. Think about it like this, they have been slamming Frozen onto everything they can in the parks and in every other part of our lives. They are not waiting until 2018 for a sequel. And Moana? Really? They'll put Frozen in front of that so fast it would make the tiki gods turn circles.

Well, now, bear in mind, Lasseter has been very vocal on his thoughts regarding sequels to the "canon" films; you'll note there have been no full length features since Little Mermaid 3 and Cinderella 3, which were already in development when he took over. One can argue Winnie the Pooh in 2011, but since that hewed more towards the books than the previous film (hence no Gopher), one can also argue that it's a stand alone feature that just happens to draw on the same characters and source material.

Now, remember, this only applies to films from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Lasseter has absolutely no qualms about trying to get blood from Pixar stones (Cars 3, coming soon!).

misterID

I am not saying they aren't moving forward. Just that forward is not happening at the pace you think it is. If it comes out by dec 2016 like you say it would directly cannibalize from moana. They would never do that. So how about 2017? toy story 4 will have the june release date. And their untitled project would have to come out in either january of that year or not at all if frozen is going to be coming out in the same time period. As I would no doubt bet that frozen 2 would shoot for a november release date again. You don't seem to be giving production schedules much thought.
I'm involved in the industry, that's all I'll say, and I'm not trying to argue with you, but those schedules are meaningless. They decide what gets fast tracked and what gets pushed back. I've seen very exciting projects move forward, be given a release date, have pre production start, only to disappear and never to be seen again. What I'm saying is this, Frozen blew a few minds on its success and that changes things, no matter what they say in public, and don't be surprised to see it in 2017. Again, if they can pull it off, I'm sure they would try earlier. Things are moved around all the time. The schedules you're quoting are not the holy grail or set in stone. Again, and trust me when I say it, it's pretty meaningless at this point.

misterID

They can't put any 2016 project on the back burner as that stuff is ready to go. Now the 2017 stuff isn't their department it's pixars. The only thing I could see happening is the pushing back of the untitled pixar project. But considering how that's the untitled Dia de Los Muertos film that sounds like a bad pr move. 2018 is enough time to garner hype for this film.
They don't need hype for this project they already have it. The Book Of Life already pretty much squashed their day of the dead film for now. And yes, if they wanted they can absolutely push a date back, they do it all the time. The Minions movie was pushed back from Christmas 2014 to summer 2015. As for this film, it depends on how far along Frozen 2 actually is or will be at that point.

Cesar R M

I think 2018 is rather quick considering their schedule. As moana and some untitled space film were set for 2018 and giants and zootopia were supposed to be 2016. Then oddly enough Moana was bumped up to 2016...Almost like they needed the slot it was gonna take in 2018 for another project. Either way giant's has yet to materialize in any sort of announcement. Me thinks it took the bullet for frozen fever.
Frozen III the revenge of Olaf and the quest of Han's hands.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am just saying that we all know how greedy Disney is these days. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Disney make a stupid move just to get frozen out in the theaters to make that extra quick buck.
Id have to agree with this. The movie has grossed well over a billion dollars and has a HUGE fan base. So, Disney decides to give the fans an attraction. Considering most attractions last over ten years and Frozen has made them a butt load of money (and still going) you would think Disney would be kind enough to give those fans an attraction worthy of the time, love, and money they have poured into this movie which has catapulted it into such a success. Buuuuut NO, Disney rewards those devoted fans with the cheapest gifts possible, a dessert party at HS (that they have to give more money for) and an overlay of an existing attraction that is probly only taking a year to open because they have to rip out the theater to allow it to hold the MASSIVE amount of people that will be lining up to see what Disney has rewarded their unwavering loyalty with.

Judging by the dollar amount and time allocated to this project, I fear they will be disappointed. But, these are the same people that have become complacent with mediocrity and defended this very short sighted, cheap move by Disney with claims of "lets wait and see" and "World Showcase is boring, Ill take Frozen anything", or my personal favorite, "omg, its Frozen, I just ruined my Old navy blue jeans by relieving my bowels in them" (ok I made that last one up) but they will most likely applaud the Frozen layover even if its just card board cut outs popping up while the old narration of Maelstrom still plays.

I'll end my rant by saying I believe its safe to say TWDC does not care what the fans think and if it means rushing Frozen 2 into the theaters to make an extra 5 dollars then I wouldnt be surprised to see it released by next spring and it could quite possibly just be stick figure drawings and people would rush to see it in Imax 3D.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Id have to agree with this. The movie has grossed well over a billion dollars and has a HUGE fan base. So, Disney decides to give the fans an attraction. Considering most attractions last over ten years and Frozen has made them a butt load of money (and still going) you would think Disney would be kind enough to give those fans an attraction worthy of the time, love, and money they have poured into this movie which has catapulted it into such a success. Buuuuut NO, Disney rewards those devoted fans with the cheapest gifts possible, a dessert party at HS (that they have to give more money for) and an overlay of an existing attraction that is probly only taking a year to open because they have to rip out the theater to allow it to hold the MASSIVE amount of people that will be lining up to see what Disney has rewarded their unwavering loyalty with.

Judging by the dollar amount and time allocated to this project, I fear they will be disappointed. But, these are the same people that have become complacent with mediocrity and defended this very short sighted, cheap move by Disney with claims of "lets wait and see" and "World Showcase is boring, Ill take Frozen anything", or my personal favorite, "omg, its Frozen, I just ruined my Old navy blue jeans by relieving my bowels in them" (ok I made that last one up) but they will most likely applaud the Frozen layover even if its just card board cut outs popping up while the old narration of Maelstrom still plays.

I'll end my rant by saying I believe its safe to say TWDC does not care what the fans think and if it means rushing Frozen 2 into the theaters to make an extra 5 dollars then I wouldnt be surprised to see it released by next spring and it could quite possibly just be stick figure drawings and people would rush to see it in Imax 3D.

You are more cynical than I am and that's saying something, But I do agree TWDC is giving Frozen fans the finger by doing a cheap and nasty retheme of Maelstrom rather than a fully featured attraction (Like the one TDL is paying for).

Sped2424

They don't need hype for this project they already have it. The Book Of Life already pretty much squashed their day of the dead film for now. And yes, if they wanted they can absolutely push a date back, they do it all the time. The Minions movie was pushed back from Christmas 2014 to summer 2015. As for this film, it depends on how far along Frozen 2 actually is or will be at that point.
I guess we will wait and see. But this is about having everything together and ready. And if it's by 2017 I will be surprised. If it's 2018 I won't be. It just seems smarter to keep frozen going in nice bursts over time like any sequel.

Sped2424

I'm involved in the industry, that's all I'll say, and I'm not trying to argue with you, but those schedules are meaningless. They decide what gets fast tracked and what gets pushed back. I've seen very exciting projects move forward, be given a release date, have pre production start, only to disappear and never to be seen again. What I'm saying is this, Frozen blew a few minds on its success and that changes things, no matter what they say in public, and don't be surprised to see it in 2017. Again, if they can pull it off, I'm sure they would try earlier. Things are moved around all the time. The schedules you're quoting are not the holy grail or set in stone. Again, and trust me when I say it, it's pretty meaningless at this point.
Okay the 2016 schedules? Are not meaningless because if they get pushed back that's money and resources. Moana got bumped up from a 2018 release date. Zootopia is the next film and I HIGHLY doubt it's getting pushed back in favor of anything. 2017 at the earliest I could possibly see unlike the dec 2016 date you threw out. But the fact that Moana was bumped up from it's previous 2018 date tells me something was shuffled to that slot.

Sped2424

Isn't Giants tentatively scheduled for 2017, anyway?
Giants was never sadly announced in any official form. Talked about on bleeding cool. But it was supposed to be the second film for 2016. Then moana got bumped up and no one has heard about giants since.

Sped2424

I just don't think they will wait 5 years for a sequel. I'd bet that the very moment they knew it was a hit they mobilized a team to start the sequel. Heck, they may have even started the sequel during the post production of the first movie. Think about it like this, they have been slamming Frozen onto everything they can in the parks and in every other part of our lives. They are not waiting until 2018 for a sequel. And Moana? Really? They'll put Frozen in front of that so fast it would make the tiki gods turn circles.
zootopia is in front of moana. And unless something changes I don't see it being replaced. 5 years in the animation world seems pretty quick actually. Toy story took 4 years for it's first sequel, Cars 6, Monsters 12, How to train your dragon 5. And one of these was in the same position as frozen way back when.

Kman101

You are more cynical than I am and that's saying something, But I do agree TWDC is giving Frozen fans the finger by doing a cheap and nasty retheme of Maelstrom rather than a fully featured attraction (Like the one TDL is paying for).

You don't even have to be overly cynical or "down on Disney" (which is what some think constructive criticism is) to understand that Frozen deserves more than it will get.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Doesnt that make you wonder? Why would they go all out in Japan but not in Orlando? Are they just being cheap, they dont care, or they just spent too much money on MM+ and cant afford it?

One reason is TDL really LIKES being in the theme park business and is constantly refreshing their property to expand the business. TWDC considers theme parks to be a 'mature' business and as such only invests the minimum capex.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
One reason is TDL really LIKES being in the theme park business and is constantly refreshing their property to expand the business. TWDC considers theme parks to be a 'mature' business and as such only invests the minimum capex.
I wonder what they (TWDC) tell themselves to justify calling it 'mature' and to feel fine with doing so little. Im sure there too busy laughin all the way to the bank and kicking back in their houses in the south of France to even care. I try to be objective and tell myself that perhaps I could not do a better job if I were in their shoes, especially given their financial skills, but their complete lack of respect for what made WDW so amazing is what urks me to no end. Thats not me being a 'purist' either. Its also the lack of respect they have for the front line CM's. Met a guy the other day and his aunt has been with Disney for 25 years working the resorts and said she was on track to retire several years ago but has not been able due to benefit cuts and low pay increases. Thats a shame if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom