Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Apples to oranges. It's a bit different building a new theme park than redesigning a new area in a place that gets thousands of visitors a day.

Not true since the NFL area had complete road access from backstage areas, It was simply a desire to spread out costs and poor project management.

Mike S

Because when you say it like that, it's harder to justify the fanboy/ girl outrage?
Nope, still pretty easy to justify. Yes it is not an overlay, it is a makeover. Doesn't change the fact that the Norway pavilion is way too small to handle the traffic that the Frozen ride will attract especially since they're bringing the M&G back over there on top of it all (oy vey). Even if we got a more elaborate ride being put in the Norway pavilion it would still be a terrible choice for the area because it simply would not be able to handle it. Also, since they're keeping the current ride layout lets not forget the pretty much guaranteed insanely long lines that will form because the rides capacity will simply be way too small to meet demand. See? Easy. Do I need to bring up the full on expansion to TDS Tokyo will be getting as well or would that be overkill?

Matt_Black

Nope, still pretty easy to justify. Yes it is not an overlay, it is a makeover. Doesn't change the fact that the Norway pavilion is way too small to handle the traffic that the Frozen ride will attract especially since they're bringing the M&G back over there on top of it all (oy vey).

Ah, except that by the time everything is finished, Frozen will have been out for at least 2 and a half years at that point. Will it still be popular and command long lines? No doubt. Will those lines be the size of earlier this year when Frozen mania was at it's highest? Possible, but I doubt it.

Mike S

Ah, except that by the time everything is finished, Frozen will have been out for at least 2 and a half years at that point. Will it still be popular and command long lines? No doubt. Will those lines be the size of earlier this year when Frozen mania was at it's highest? Possible, but I doubt it.
Frozen mania definitely won't still be at its highest when the ride opens. Honestly I would be shocked if it was. However with the new ride opening people who loved Frozen at its height most likely will want to see the "new" ride. Plus even if it's not at its height it could still be fairly popular. I still think there will be problems when this ride opens. I just can't see it going smoothly at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can someone explain to me why everyone is calling the Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom an overlay? Because to me that implies that they are just covering up everything Maelstrom and putting Frozen stuff in front of it, kind of like what they do with the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. With the money they are spending and the time that they are taking, I would think they are remaking the ride not redressing the ride, no?:angelic:
An overlay is temporary. This is permanent. So far all indications are the actual ride system will not change other than possibly combining the load/unload area. While I agree that this is not just an overlay it's probably a stretch to say they are remaking the ride. The better way to describe it is that the ride is being re-themed to Frozen.

misterID

Can someone explain to me why everyone is calling the Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom an overlay? Because to me that implies that they are just covering up everything Maelstrom and putting Frozen stuff in front of it, kind of like what they do with the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. With the money they are spending and the time that they are taking, I would think they are remaking the ride not redressing the ride, no?:angelic:
Because it's not a new ride? And they're redressing an old ride, with I'm guessing some cool frozen/icy/snowy magical-looking tech? Let's not kid ourselves here. TDS is building a real Frozen ride, not redressing an old one... That's a very, very, very short ride on top of it.

It was pitched as a cheap and easy way to inject Frozen into a WDW attraction. No reason to get goo goo eyes over that budget... It's actually kind of sad.

misterID

Frozen 2 will probably be out around that time. And even if it's half of the current Frozen mania, the area can't handle big crowds... And Frozen will still be huge by then... And it will be falsely advertised as a new attraction... Those two things will attract major crowds... Of little kids and parents... In World Showcase and Boozefest. Nice.

Matt_Black

Frozen 2 will probably be out around that time. And even if it's half of the current Frozen mania, the area can't handle big crowds... And Frozen will still be huge by then... And it will be falsely advertised as a new attraction... Those two things will attract major crowds... Of little kids and parents... In World Showcase and Boozefest. Nice.

Except there's been no Frozen 2 announced yet. 2016 is set for Moana from WDAS and Finding Dory from Pixar. Now it's quite possible they might farm that out to Disney Toon Studios, but given Lasseter's views on sequels to films from "the canon" it's more likely to be done by WDAS. All we know for certain is we're getting the short Frozen Fever sometime in 2015.

G00fyDad

Except there's been no Frozen 2 announced yet. 2016 is set for Moana from WDAS and Finding Dory from Pixar. Now it's quite possible they might farm that out to Disney Toon Studios, but given Lasseter's views on sequels to films from "the canon" it's more likely to be done by WDAS. All we know for certain is we're getting the short Frozen Fever sometime in 2015.

While not necessarily a "confirmation" Idina Menzel did sort of spill the beans on the sequel. In an interview she was asked about a possible movie, Broadway show, etc. She replied that she does not know who they will get for the Broadway show since it is not her, but that she is signed for the movie.

ParentsOf4

Doesn't change the fact that the Norway pavilion is way too small to handle the traffic that the Frozen ride will attract especially since they're bringing the M&G back over there on top of it all.
This has to be a major concern.

In its current configuration, the Norway Pavilion gets uncomfortably crowded with just a few hundred Guests there at once. With the World Showcase lacking other significant draws for younger children, the Norway Pavilion could become the most crowded area in all of WDW. The stroller problem alone could be much worse than Fantasyland.

I believe the old Maelstrom had a capacity of around 1000/hour, putting it on par with the low-capacity Peter Pan's Flight. With nothing else in the area to attract youngsters, a Frozen attraction in the Norway Pavilion could be an operational nightmare.

Last edited:

Mike S

In its current configuration, the Norway Pavilion gets uncomfortably crowded with just a few hundred Guests there at once. With the World Showcase lacking other significant draws for younger children, the Norway Pavilion could become the most crowded area in all of WDW. The stroller problem alone could be much worse than Fantasyland.

I believe the old Maelstrom had a capacity of around 1000/hour, putting it on par with the low-capacity Peter Pan's Flight. With nothing else in the area to attract youngsters, a Frozen attraction in the Norway Pavilion could be an operational nightmare.
Really a shame how Disney was so blinded that they couldn't see the obvious writing on the wall.

raven

Before Disney destroyed the Norway Pavilion it was my favorite country at Epcot. Putting a princess dining experience at Akershus started the bottleneck phase.

Meanwhile the old Osyssey Restaurant sits quietly unused in an area large enough to accomodate large crowds and has plenty of room for strollers and large restrooms. An guest curiosity for the past 20 years that could easily be renovated to whatever Disney needs that doesn't take away from anything around it. :banghead:

Magenta Panther

That's what I've been saying - putting Frozen in Maelstrom's place is going to be a mess - a mess that could affect all of World Showcase. I dread the idea of walking down there and having to somehow squeeze past the seething mass of humanity that's going to be clotting the Norway courtyard and everywhere around it. Hundreds of little girls in Elsa costumes will infest France, Japan, Great Britain, Mexico...gah...horrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom