Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I dont think you need to be an employee to be and act like an irrational fanboy.
I've seen such brand wars online that are silly. And noone of them are getting paid or getting freebies. Its just a mental issue.
Kinda reminds me of these fights between nerds of the AMD/ATI vs Nvidia camps during the height of the video card fights.

Except when you already did? :hilarious::hilarious:
5U7B9QB.gif
This goes beyond the usual "fandom."

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, you are definitely in the right place -- you can share anything you want about Frozen without the fear of being attacked and/or ridiculed.

Unfortunately, the Frozen Construction had to be locked because it had become so nasty, which is why I never posted in that thread.

Anyway, your observations were too funny. By this account, I'm going to gauge that the Frozen ride will be a huge success with the masses and a sort of love-hate relationship with the crowd you observed. They will love it but hate to admit that. LOL.

You don't say. Hey, is this even legal? I better bite my tongue.

A poster who attempted to access my profile page received an "error" message. So he asked other posters if I had gotten "the boot". So naturally, I started thinking about boots -- specifically, my favorite boots and just made light of the situation.

Those gorgeous Burberry Aviator boots are my all time favorite boots in the whole world. LOL.

No. Of course not, Merlin. Those Aviator boots are so old, around six years old to be exact. It's been over half a decade since they came out.

I got those boots for Christmas in 2010, which means they were released in Fall of 2010. I wasn't even a member here, yet. Heck, you weren't even a member here in 2010 -- that's how old those boots are. They're not for sale. Not to mention, I haven't worn them in almost three years. I just adore them for their design -- they don't make them quite like that anymore. All the other boots I mentioned are old boots, too.

People won't even discuss a car that is older than two or three years old, let alone a pair of six year old boots.

So no, Merlin I am not spamming boots that are over half a decade old.

Oh that's my signature style. Thanks for noticing, lol.

Antagonistic? No, of course not. It's totally okay to find exception with Frozen in Epcot.

Okay, that is totally wishful thinking, on my part. Plus, you've been unusually quiet for a while.

I will attempt to address your concerns

"short" - The length of the ride is the same or longer. I thought Disney added a bend in the track that also extended the length. Either way, not a problem, as it's what has been enjoyed for the past 20-30 years.

"obscenely low capacity" - Not a concern. I imagine it can't be any worse that TSMM or even Dumbo back in the day before Disney added the second one. Besides, the same golden rule still applies -- get a Fastpass -- otherwise, be prepared to arrive at the parks prior to rope drop and head straight to Norwat.

"leaving Norway's culture behind" - LOL. I am not going there with you. I know you that loved the trolls. And the Frozen ride will have trolls, too.

The Frozen 'Love Experts' are inspired by Norway's deep forest stone trolls.

9q8jlu.jpg

245xd2h.jpg

1sclf9.jpg

The Royal Summerhus is inspired by rural Norwegian architectural style.

The Imagineers traveled to Norway to research Norwegian culture.

I know you will always have a place in your heart for Maelstrom, so will i. But, you might find something you can appreciate or love even more in the new Norway pavilion.

Very well said. I agree with everything here, especially MK's Space Mountain compared to DL.

But still, when I look at those pictures -- part of me wishes it was here.

Disney even named a play area in the park after me. It's my favorite out of all the attractions. LOL.
->Siren's Revenge<-

Wow, JohnWD. I couldn't agree with you more. Well done.

Wow, this is very interesting given that you are so much closer to Disneyland.

Welcome back, englanddg.

ty ty

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Kinda reminds me of these fights between nerds of the AMD/ATI vs Nvidia camps during the height of the video card fights.

We prefer the term Geek and what is there not to love about the GTX1080... An as for the comment by the OP, capacity not being an issue, you are just showing how out of touch you are. Malstorm struggled to keep up with the crowds and even if they added a new s-bend it's like what another 20ft? Not enough to truly add to capacity this project will be a nightmare when it opens and long after regardless as to how good the actual attraction is.

Cesar R M

We prefer the term Geek and what is there not to love about the GTX1080... An as for the comment by the OP, capacity not being an issue, you are just showing how out of touch you are. Malstorm struggled to keep up with the crowds and even if they added a new s-bend it's like what another 20ft? Not enough to truly add to capacity this project will be a nightmare when it opens and long after regardless as to how good the actual attraction is.
id say the height of the video card was during the introduction of the "ULTRA" GTX8800 and the subsecuent Radeon 3870/4870 that regained the crown to ATI after a long time on the NVIDIA side. Plus the accusations of cheating (by tweaking or paying to sabotage the performance of the other side).
You only see similar kind of fights between sport teams and religious groups.

Siren

Original Poster
Maelstrom was always walk on for almost thirty years, it was never a popular attraction. It wasn't until the implementation of FP+ and tiering which also included the recent enforcement of the time windows that Maelstrom became busy. People were literally forced to choose it. And, it wasn't until the announcement of Maelstrom's closure that it became super popular.

More defelections. Not surprising you're received the extra hours you get. After all, managing to get the TWDC gospel out while bringing the likes of Burberry, dresses, and shoe fashion into various threads is a true art.

To some....
To *you*, for sure. I put up a compelling article from The Economist, insight about the Norwegian Stone Trolls, the inspiration behind the Royal Summerhus and lots of other valuable content.

But, the only thing you notice is my fashion. I get it and I don't blame you because I feel the exact same way about fashion. And, those boots have magical powers. LOL.

So yeah, no deflections -- nice try, though. You just see what you want to see.

This goes beyond the usual "fandom."
I can't see who you are responding to because I have all those posters on ignore but my post count alone, excludes me from *any* fandom of any kind. I've been here for four years and I don't even have 450 posts yet. I have seen people exceed that in a day. LOL.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Maelstrom was always walk on for almost thirty years, it was never a popular attraction. It wasn't until the implementation of FP+ and tiering which also included the recent enforcement of the time windows that Maelstrom became busy. People were literally forced to choose it. And, it wasn't until the announcement of Maelstrom's closure that it became super popular.

To *you*, for sure. I put up a compelling article from The Economist, insight about the Norwegian Stone Trolls, the inspiration behind the Royal Summerhus and lots of other valuable content.

But, the only thing you notice is my fashion. I get it and I don't blame you because I feel the exact same way about fashion. And, those boots have magical powers. LOL.

So yeah, no deflections -- nice try, though. You just see what you want to see.

I can't see who you are responding to because I have all those posters on ignore but my post count alone, excludes me from *any* fandom or any kind. I've been here four years and I don't even have 450 posts yet. I have seen people exceed that in a day. LOL.

You're welcome.
Different time today? Shouldn't be surprised, I suppose, considering the news yesterday. All hands on deck and whatnot. But keep deflecting with those lovely articles of supposed relevance.

After all, it's what you're paid to do....

MerlinTheGoat

I rode Maelstrom countless times during the 90s as well as during its last few years. It was consistently the longest line in Epcot during the 90's prior to Soarin or Test Track and continued to have long lines throughout the last few years of its life. Granted that is largely because of its low capacity (something that will be even less helpful when Frozen opens), but to say it was normally a walkon is an absolute and blatant lie.

Even sub 10 minute waits (let alone walking right on) were very uncommon in all but the slowest times of the year. It was common for us in the 90s to actually walk away from the ride due to the long line, something we rarely had to do for anything else in the park (at the time we still had several high capacity classics in Future World to absorb any amount of crowds). And with fastpass (which did not exist during the first half of its life), this made it even worse in its final years. I commonly saw lines from 2010 until 2014 stretching out the door spilling almost reaching the main World Showcase walkway..

Last edited:

aladdin2007

I rode Maelstrom countless times during the 90s as well as during its last few years. It was consistently the longest line in Epcot during the 90's prior to Soarin or Test Track and continued to have long lines throughout the last few years of its life. Granted that is largely because of its low capacity (something that will be even less helpful when Frozen opens), but to say it was normally a walkon is an absolute and blatant lie.

Even sub 10 minute waits (let alone walking right on) were very uncommon in all but the slowest times of the year. It was common for us in the 90s to actually walk away from the ride due to the long line, something we rarely had to do for anything else in the park (at the time we still had several high capacity classics in Future World to absorb any amount of crowds). And with fastpass (which did not exist during the first half of its life), this made it even worse in its final years. I commonly saw lines from 2010 until 2014 stretching out the door spilling almost reaching the main World Showcase walkway..

agree all the way, that is how I always saw it as well.

Mr. Peabody

31 pages and 1.5 years later, I still don't understand what is the purpose of this thread. However, as long as I'm here, I might as well play along.

Frozen Ever After is quite possibly the worst idea for an attraction in Disney history. Even if the ride itself is halfway decent, it's still just a low-capacity C-Ticket for a wildly popular franchise. The wait times for this ride will be unbearable. This situation will be compounded by the fact that the rest of World Showcase will still mostly be a mall after the construction at the Norway Pavilion is complete. Frozen is the all-time highest-grossing animated film, and all it gets in Disney's flagship resort is a C-Ticket and a meet-and-greet. If any franchise is a safe choice for a marquee, big-ticket family attraction rather than going the cheap route, Frozen is definitely it. I would think Frozen fans would be disappointed to see the franchise so underserved, especially considering the plans for Frozen at other Disney resorts as well as the impressive attractions other popular franchises have received - Harry Potter, Cars, Avatar (not even a Disney-owned property). I know I am, and I haven't even mentioned the violation of the World Showcase theme that is being committed by placing this ride there yet.

In concept, Frozen Ever After is a creative disappointment to both Frozen fans and Epcot fans in addition to being a logistical misstep. Maybe the ride itself will be good, but nevertheless I still believe that this is an incredibly ill-conceived plan for an attraction.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I have been to the parks a lot...i mean, a lot, and rarely was Maelstrom ever a walk on that I saw...Usually 30-40 minute wait time...unless you call that walk on, and substantially higher busy times of the year...Being the only real attraction in World Showcase aside from El Rio Del Donald, it was ALWAYS popular...I don't know where people are getting the idea that it was an unpopular ride... For all it's shortcomings, it was still a favorite at the park, and one we ALWAYS went on....

Bocabear

And I heartily agree with Mr Peabody... The Seas with Nemo and Friends did not do that franchise justice...just as this overlay will not do Frozen justice...they should have designed a proper specific ride for Frozen in Fantasyland...as well as Nemo... this just seems lazy or cheap to me...

RSoxNo1

And I heartily agree with Mr Peabody... The Seas with Nemo and Friends did not do that franchise justice...just as this overlay will not do Frozen justice...they should have designed a proper specific ride for Frozen in Fantasyland...as well as Nemo... this just seems lazy or cheap to me...
Do you mean to tell me that when Disney does things cheap, it shows?

Goofyernmost

Seriously... the longest? I have been going there since it was opened, year after year, and it NEVER had an appreciable line, ever. It was a nice diversion out of the heat and a rest for the sore feet, but, massively popular... nope! It was marginal, at best. I don't even know who this "Siren" person is, but, I can assure you that more often then not, it was a walk-on. Some may not want to believe that because of the obsession over the evil of having Frozen in there, but, you guys are trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Whether or not, Frozen belongs there does not justify making the loss of Maelstrom a national disaster. All I remember about it to any degree was if I went to Norway, I would be likely to find, polar bears, trolls and oil rigs. The chances are you didn't stay if the line was over 10 minutes because, quite frankly, it was not worth any stay longer then that. You could wait a few minutes and it would be back to a walk-on.

MerlinTheGoat

30+ minutes was extremely common for Maelstrom throughout its life, even longer later after fastpass was added. I've been visiting since 1991. Arguably the longest wait at Epcot prior to soarin or TT. I've often waited 20 minutes or more, 30-45+ was where it got hard to justify waiting (which again was common). 15 minutes or less was a must ride for us, but it wasn't common at all outside of the slowest times of the year.

Last edited:

Mike S

31 pages and 1.5 years later, I still don't understand what is the purpose of this thread. However, as long as I'm here, I might as well play along.

Frozen Ever After is quite possibly the worst idea for an attraction in Disney history. Even if the ride itself is halfway decent, it's still just a low-capacity C-Ticket for a wildly popular franchise. The wait times for this ride will be unbearable. This situation will be compounded by the fact that the rest of World Showcase will still mostly be a mall after the construction at the Norway Pavilion is complete. Frozen is the all-time highest-grossing animated film, and all it gets in Disney's flagship resort is a C-Ticket and a meet-and-greet. If any franchise is a safe choice for a marquee, big-ticket family attraction rather than going the cheap route, Frozen is definitely it. I would think Frozen fans would be disappointed to see the franchise so underserved, especially considering the plans for Frozen at other Disney resorts as well as the impressive attractions other popular franchises have received - Harry Potter, Cars, Avatar (not even a Disney-owned property). I know I am, and I haven't even mentioned the violation of the World Showcase theme that is being committed by placing this ride there yet.

In concept, Frozen Ever After is a creative disappointment to both Frozen fans and Epcot fans in addition to being a logistical misstep. Maybe the ride itself will be good, but nevertheless I still believe that this is an incredibly ill-conceived plan for an attraction.
They're just happy to get anything Frozen no matter what it is. Plus their kids are bored, think of the children!!! :arghh:

AEfx

I have been to the parks a lot...i mean, a lot, and rarely was Maelstrom ever a walk on that I saw...Usually 30-40 minute wait time...unless you call that walk on, and substantially higher busy times of the year...Being the only real attraction in World Showcase aside from El Rio Del Donald, it was ALWAYS popular...I don't know where people are getting the idea that it was an unpopular ride... For all it's shortcomings, it was still a favorite at the park, and one we ALWAYS went on....

Per CM's who have posted on the board, wait time or not (I agree, there are two rides there, obviously folks are going to ride what's available) Maelstrom had the lowest guest satisfaction of any WDW attraction. Like, when guests got off the ride - their opinions given on surveys were that it was the least enjoyable ride at WDW.

Before the conversion was announced, the most you ever saw folks talk about it on these boards was joking about how to bypass the terrible film they wanted you to sit through at the end.

I quite liked it (the ride, not the film) - but I can see why many didn't - I liked that it was a dank little creepy dark ride. I don't think most guests were looking for that right there, and the theme didn't resonate with them.

Siren

Original Poster
Disney announced that the Frozen overlay would cost approximately $80 million. I've heard that the project is now over $100,000,000. The average steel coaster costs between 10-$20 million. So technically, Disney could build at least eight coasters for that amount.

So far, the Royal Summerhus project is progressing nicely and it does not look cheap in picture and on the video. I'm hoping that the ride does not look cheap either.

Merida did not get anything except for a meet and greet. Rapunzel only got toilets. It took Ariel and Belle decades to get attractions. So, I was not expecting anything for Frozen. I am delightfully surprised that Frozen is getting an attraction so soon. And, I have no attachment to the Frozen IP, just like I have no attachment to Avatar. The IP doesn't matter to me.

Different time today? Shouldn't be surprised, I suppose, considering the news yesterday. All hands on deck and whatnot.

Siren

Original Poster
Anyway, I can't wait for this ride and the whole Norway pavilion to open. I'm not expecting anything to be mind blowing but I think it will be a very nice upgrade.

I thought the Frozen ride would be finished by June with soft openings in late May. But, now I am seeing June, specifically 'summer' of 2016 -- so we're looking at late June for the grand opening and soft openings in mid June. I wonder what the hold up could be this time? I'm just glad I didn't plan a trip around this.

Okay so, this is how the "big three" plan to duke it out for summer.
  • Sea World has the new rollercoaster named 'Mako' opening June 10.
  • Universal has 'Skull Island: King Kong' and the 'Hulk' coaster opening this "summer."
  • Disney has 'Frozen Ever After' and the 'Anna and Elsa' meet & greet at 'The Royal Summerhus' and the new Soarin' ride.

The buzz is that Frozen and Anna & Elsa are going to be the clear winners here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom