Rumor Frontierland Shootin' arcade to close and replaced with DVC Member lounge

Raineman

It's easier for folks to lump into "problematic" than to just accept that something once loved is no longer loved. Specifically here it's a relatively small space with few alternative uses compared to alternative spots. Part of the reason it can exists in other parks is because the park itself doesn't want to pay to replace something small. At MK, costs to run are likely low but MK leaders probably view this as turning a cost center into a profit center, considering that DVD or DVC is going to pay to rent the space.

It's a win for the park to get paid for something not utilized but has expenses. It's a win for DVD to sell DVC points direct, to have another lounge as a selling point for guests. It's a win for DVC members who will have a new space. It's a loss for people who love Shootin Arcade but the number of people who were shooting per day is likely way less than the number of people that will use it daily as a lounge.
I think it's another example of the parks moving away from spaces that everyone can utilize and enjoy, to exclusive spaces for people that can shell out much more $$$ than the average guest. It's all about the almighty dollar, just like pretty much everything else Disney these days.

CJR

Are you DVCers happy?

If Disney wants to continue finding ways to keep us from buying their overpriced soda at the theme parks, I mean bittersweet is probably the right word.

We already buy the mugs at the resort, so this seems like it will only further kill the need for a soft drink with our lunch. Heck, the snacks might even make it easier to have a later lunch and just cook it in our room (we always get the kitchen).

Makes no real business sense to me, but darn it, if they're going to close this for that, I will give them the attention they seek each and every time I'm at Magic Kingdom.

disneyC97

Disney Execs have had a hit list on the Magic Kingdom for the last 30 years:

1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sewa
2. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
3. Snow White’s Scary Adventures
4. Explorer Canoes
5. Mike Fink Keelboats
6. Diamond Horseshoe Revue Show
7. Fort Wilderness
8. Splash Mountain
9. OG Country Bear Jamboree
10. Main Street Cinema
11. Penny Arcade
12. Alien Encounter
13. The Timekeeper/Circle-Vision
14. Frontierland Shooting Gallery
15. SpectroMagic
16. Stitch’s Great Escape
17. Tomorrowland Arcade
18. OG Tropical Serenade
19. Dreamflight
20. Wishes

Yes some were for the better but more were for the worse.
Thank you for this list. The number of things on there with no replacement (4,5,6,10,11/17, 12/16 at a quick glance), plus the numerous closed eateries and shops others have mentioned is ridiculous and appalling.

Ice Gator

fingers crossed “Beyond Big Thunder” includes a small “new Frontierland” section right after BTM before leading into whatever new land(s) they end up building. It really does seem like they’re trying to phase out Frontierland as it currently stands, especially if the rumor about Pecos turning into Tiana’s ends up being true.

pdude81

So as a resale buyer, I assume this is another thing I won't be able to have access to which is annoying because when I bought the resale my card used to give me access to top of the World lounge. They go and change the name to villain's lair and all the sudden I don't have access. That does not seem right
TOTWL is a weird one as I thought it was paid for by BLT dues. However, if DVC is renting it out these days then they can make that a Membership Extra.

Bocabear

So as a resale buyer, I assume this is another thing I won't be able to have access to which is annoying because when I bought the resale my card used to give me access to top of the World lounge. They go and change the name to villain's lair and all the sudden I don't have access. That does not seem right
It's not right... We were there and wanted to go to the lounge but they had a private group in there that comes every week? That seemed odd too.THe Villain's Lair overlay is absolutely terrible. It doesn't fit the property and is only a ridiculous poorly done name change with some pictures on the wall of villains. It looks stupid...and feels insulting.
They need to go back to Top Of The World and celebrate who they are instead of the half-baked thing it has become.
(It's our home resort...I wish my voice on that mattered...lol)

lazyboy97o

It's easier for folks to lump into "problematic" than to just accept that something once loved is no longer loved. Specifically here it's a relatively small space with few alternative uses compared to alternative spots. Part of the reason it can exists in other parks is because the park itself doesn't want to pay to replace something small. At MK, costs to run are likely low but MK leaders probably view this as turning a cost center into a profit center, considering that DVD or DVC is going to pay to rent the space.

It's a win for the park to get paid for something not utilized but has expenses. It's a win for DVD to sell DVC points direct, to have another lounge as a selling point for guests. It's a win for DVC members who will have a new space. It's a loss for people who love Shootin Arcade but the number of people who were shooting per day is likely way less than the number of people that will use it daily as a lounge.
But DVC wouldn’t be willing to rent any of the abandoned guest space in the park? We’re not talking about a park that is actually packed to the brim. Despite being the world’s busiest theme park it has a shocking amount of abandoned guest space. There’s even space that used to be retail on the Adventureland side of the same building.

pdude81

Why do they need a lounge now for something three or more years off?
That's one reason to have another. Also they have 4 large parks that you can't easily walk to, so just having a DVC lounge in Epcot is not a huge draw. A central presence in MK would serve many more DVC guests, considering the number of Florida vs California DVC units. And it being more visible (as opposed to being hidden in the exit of a walk on attraction) should help with marketing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney has never outright said it was problematic, just something people on here are speculating as the reason. It's likely just closing because it's rarely used and Disney are looking for ways to add more DVC Lounges to add more benefits to the DVC program. Similarly at DCA, the Blue Sky Cellar is being replaced by a DVC Lounge because it wasn't being used.

Yes, because a lounge in Magic Kingdom where you can get a single snack bag and a beverage is going to entice people to drop $30-40k on a DVC contract. :rolleyes: Lounges aren't a benefit that anyone is asking for.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has confirmed to the Orlando Sentinel the last day of operation for Frontierland Shootin' Arcade is June 23.

"Walt Disney World plans to shut down an attraction that’s been in operation as long as the Magic Kingdom was been open. The Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade, a Old West-themed activity featuring infrared rifles, will close this month.

Its final day of operation will be June 23, Disney confirmed Thursday."

Full article below.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Since the argument is that the Frontierland Arcade has been sparsely used, probably since 2012, why is this now being changed into something else? What has changed in the last 12 years? Was there no money anywhere that could be spent on this? (Hint: The likely reason has a team for it) Just because some refuse to admit it doesn't make it untrue.

Club Cooloholic

Yes, because a lounge in Magic Kingdom where you can get a single snack bag and a beverage is going to entice people to drop $30-40k on a DVC contract. :rolleyes: Lounges aren't a benefit that anyone is asking for.
I mean, I would certainly like to have the lounge(maybe not one that takes the shooting gallery), but am I willing to spend the extra $16,000 over resale to make that happen
..nah.

I really did like the frontier shooting gallery, we hit it every time. No I am not a gun nut, don't even own one, but I remember that gallery from my days as a small kid. To replace it with a space that isn't even usable to the average guest is just terrible. Like, the penny arcade, and the old theater showing Disney shorts another piece of history gets replaced by more money grabbing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I mean, I would certainly like to have the lounge(maybe not one that takes the shooting gallery), but am I willing to spend the extra $16,000 over resale to make that happen
..nah.

You'd have to give me a DVC contract these days, or maybe for a penny (at most) on the dollar. A lounge doesn't move the needle for 99.9% of owners.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
But DVC wouldn’t be willing to rent any of the abandoned guest space in the park? We’re not talking about a park that is actually packed to the brim. Despite being the world’s busiest theme park it has a shocking amount of abandoned guest space. There’s even space that used to be retail on the Adventureland side of the same building.

We don't really, or at least I have no idea, who made the plan to use this specific space. Unused and underutilized spaces that exist have potential future uses. That said, ideally Disney would have carved a space into the expansion area and designed it to be a better lounge bathrooms, etc.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Man, modern Disney does NOT like things called Boothill
mk19_overview.jpg

Boothill_Boys_in_Splash_Mountain_(Florida).jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom