Rumor Frontierland Shootin' arcade to close and replaced with DVC Member lounge

Bocabear

Because the people who run The Walt Disney Company hate Walt Disney and everything he stood for.
Replace the word "Hate" with the words "Don't Understand"... I don't believe anyone in charge hates Disney or the theme parks....they just don't seem to quite understand what makes a lot of things more than the sum of their parts...
Perhaps too focused on other things, too under the thumb of the executives, could be many things....but I don't think "Hate" is ever in the equation.

CJR

Not that I want the others to close, but I am curious why only Florida's arcade is problematic?

Even the one at Disneyland is still there, Tokyo and Paris are the other two. No rumors of them going away either, which I'm happy about, but also confused by.

Andrew25

The latter of the 3 is actually used for fireworks dessert parties so that would be sort of impossible to make a DVC lounge, just saying.
At night, sure. But during the day it's empty. All you have to do is flip the sign around from DVC Lounge to Dessert Party Check-In 🤣

DVC Lounge Hours - 11AM to 6PM (just like Epcot)

Dessert Parties start (1) Hour Prior to showtime. So right now it wouldn't be unto 8-8:20PM. More than enough time to have CMs replace signage lol

Gusey

Not that I want the others to close, but I am curious why only Florida's arcade is problematic?

Even the one at Disneyland is still there, Tokyo and Paris are the other two. No rumors of them going away either, which I'm happy about, but also confused by.
Disney has never outright said it was problematic, just something people on here are speculating as the reason. It's likely just closing because it's rarely used and Disney are looking for ways to add more DVC Lounges to add more benefits to the DVC program. Similarly at DCA, the Blue Sky Cellar is being replaced by a DVC Lounge because it wasn't being used.

MK-fan

Disney Execs have had a hit list on the Magic Kingdom for the last 30 years:

1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sewa
2. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
3. Snow White’s Scary Adventures
4. Explorer Canoes
5. Mike Fink Keelboats
6. Diamond Horseshoe Revue Show
7. Fort Wilderness
8. Splash Mountain
9. OG Country Bear Jamboree
10. Main Street Cinema
11. Penny Arcade
12. Alien Encounter
13. The Timekeeper/Circle-Vision
14. Frontierland Shooting Gallery
15. SpectroMagic
16. Stitch’s Great Escape
17. Tomorrowland Arcade
18. OG Tropical Serenade
19. Dreamflight
20. Wishes
21. Skyway

Yes some were for the better but more were for the worse.

Last edited:

Raineman

2. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
4. Explorer Canoes
5. Mike Fink Keelboats
7. Fort Wilderness
8. Splash Mountain
10. Main Street Cinema
11. Penny Arcade
12. Alien Encounter
15. SpectroMagic
17. Tomorrowland Arcade
18. OG Tropical Serenade
19. Dreamflight
20. Wishes

Wow. I've never seen a full list like that before. And if they hadn't have brought it back, The Tiki Room would be on there too.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member

2. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
4. Explorer Canoes
5. Mike Fink Keelboats
7. Fort Wilderness
8. Splash Mountain
10. Main Street Cinema
11. Penny Arcade
12. Alien Encounter
15. SpectroMagic
17. Tomorrowland Arcade
18. OG Tropical Serenade
19. Dreamflight
20. Wishes

21. Toontown

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Disney has never outright said it was problematic, just something people on here are speculating as the reason. It's likely just closing because it's rarely used and Disney are looking for ways to add more DVC Lounges to add more benefits to the DVC program. Similarly at DCA, the Blue Sky Cellar is being replaced by a DVC Lounge because it wasn't being used.
And a DVC lounge is really gonna move the needle comparatively?

JohnD

Man, Frontierland is just dropping like flies.
Yep. Back in the 50s for DL and the 70s for WDW, it was cool to celebrate the wild west and its guns and stuff. Today, time to relegate all of that to the dustbin of history. That and for other reasons, Splash gets rethemed, Bears get a new show, and worst of all, Shootin' Arcade becomes another DVC lounge.

JohnD

2. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
4. Explorer Canoes
5. Mike Fink Keelboats
7. Fort Wilderness
8. Splash Mountain
10. Main Street Cinema
11. Penny Arcade
12. Alien Encounter
15. SpectroMagic
17. Tomorrowland Arcade
18. OG Tropical Serenade
19. Dreamflight
20. Wishes
21. Toontown (>Mickey's Birthdayland)
22. Mickey Mouse Revue
23. Skyway
24. If You Had Wings
25. Mission to Mars
26. Swan Boats

Adding @EagleScout610's, here are some others, several of which are older than 30 years. Edits above.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

It's easier for folks to lump into "problematic" than to just accept that something once loved is no longer loved. Specifically here it's a relatively small space with few alternative uses compared to alternative spots. Part of the reason it can exists in other parks is because the park itself doesn't want to pay to replace something small. At MK, costs to run are likely low but MK leaders probably view this as turning a cost center into a profit center, considering that DVD or DVC is going to pay to rent the space.

It's a win for the park to get paid for something not utilized but has expenses. It's a win for DVD to sell DVC points direct, to have another lounge as a selling point for guests. It's a win for DVC members who will have a new space. It's a loss for people who love Shootin Arcade but the number of people who were shooting per day is likely way less than the number of people that will use it daily as a lounge.

Club Cooloholic

So as a resale buyer, I assume this is another thing I won't be able to have access to which is annoying because when I bought the resale my card used to give me access to top of the World lounge. They go and change the name to villain's lair and all the sudden I don't have access. That does not seem right

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom