Frontierland makeover

WDW1974

I gotta say... I'm a bit surprised to see the words "condoms" and "ketchup" in a post that doesn't also include some combination of the words "imagineer," "fanboi," "backstage," or "the fixings bar at Tortuga Tavern that day last September."
drevil.gif

Nah, to go down that highway would require wieners and relish ... or mustard if you prefer.

The Duck

Al Lutz broke the news today that OLC is about to greenlight Carsland for Tokyo's Frontierland replacing Tom Sawyer Island. I think it's a safe bet we are going to get a value engineered clone for Magic Kingdom.
The ONLY connection that Carsland would have with Frontierland is similar rockwork and landscaping with BTMRR. Now if they were planning to build Conestoga Wagon Land, it would be a different matter entirely but it might not be the big ticket draw that they need.
If a near-clone of Carsland is coming to WDW, the only logical place for TDO to build it would be DHS.
Wait a minute. Did I just use Logical and TDO in the same sentence??? o_O

articos

Well, as the evil vile Disney hating Spirit, I was the one who first placed that news out ... and I stand behind it to this day. Disney was putting its toes in the water, so to speak, about selling all/parts of p&R as far back as '07 and were (likely still are) seeking investors to buy smaller chunks. WDW had investment groups touring the resort in the summer of 2011 and having free reign. What that means or could have, I really don't know. But there was something beyond smoke there.
Here too, you're not wrong, and I'm not calling you out on it, but the rumors that came out of this were a bit more than the reality. The company will never let control of the parks out of their grip, and the US parks will always remain majority owned by TWDC. :)

articos

So by that winkie I presume you either know some info, PM me.
Just winking in agreement of what is common opinion around here. With a much higher profile WDI exec now on-site, certain things may see an up-turn over time as well. If I have info that I can share, I will.

articos

Al Lutz broke the news today that OLC is about to greenlight Carsland for Tokyo's Frontierland replacing Tom Sawyer Island. I think it's a safe bet we are going to get a value engineered clone for Magic Kingdom.
Not sure what Al said, but more accurately to what makes sense, for OLC, the potential Carsland would likely supplement Frontierland and fit into the existing Westernland landscape. Over there, RoA could go, and that would include TSI. That's only for OLC, though.

WDW1974

Here too, you're not wrong, and I'm not calling you out on it, but the rumors that came out of this were a bit more than the reality. The company will never let control of the parks out of their grip, and the US parks will always remain majority owned by TWDC. :)

I have no idea to this day how serious Disney was or if it was a 'let's see if anyone bites' deal. But I was amused by the rhetoric that came out because it may have been news to fans, but it wasn't news to at least some analysts and financial media (I got called ... me, not the creation that is WDW1974/Spirit of 74 ... by one highly respected writer from Sun Valley) that there had been talk going back to '07.

Now, the fanboi in me could never see anyone but Disney running the USA parks (although having been to TDR, he sure wishes someone else would sometimes), but the reality of life is anything ... anyone ... is for sale. You just need to agree on a price. If someone offered Disney $25-30 billion tomorrow for P&R, then Disney would not own WDW any longer. And, yes, there would be plenty of bad publicity, but it wouldn't matter one bit in the end because we are a society and economy based on greed is good and there are no sacred cows.

WDW1974

Not sure what Al said, but more accurately to what makes sense, for OLC, the potential Carsland would likely supplement Frontierland and fit into the existing Westernland landscape. Over there, RoA could go, and that would include TSI. That's only for OLC, though.

Yes. And I (who seemingly can't sleep anymore) just started a new thread on Al's column because he hit on a lot of WDW-relavant points.

FWIW, I see no MK projects whatsoever coming in the next five years beyond cleaning up Fantasyland's construction and if one were to come I'd be much more concerned about saying bye-bye to the whole concept of There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow ... because that's where the next new attraction will go.

spacemt354

Chili's
POTC has a 6 foot hill, name a thrill in Adventureland. While I enjoy each attraction, and the dole whip, Adventureland has zero punch, and with the name adventure in it, it needs punch. Otherwise it is simply "Friendly Jungle Land".
Pirates is an E ticket IMO. How tall a drop is does not define whether an attraction is an E ticket or not. Much like the haunted mansion, the themes, story, detail, effects, and immersive environment all contribute to pirates being an e ticket. Jungle cruise is an e ticket as well, for the same reasons as pirates and haunted mansion.

Now, would I be against a coaster like the old proposed fire mountain, or an Indy ride coming to adventureland? No that would be awesome. But as of right now, aside from the addition of fle, I think adventureland is one of the most well put together lands in the magic kingdom.

WDWFREAK53

Pirates is an E ticket IMO. How tall a drop is does not define whether an attraction is an E ticket or not. Much like the haunted mansion, the themes, story, detail, effects, and immersive environment all contribute to pirates being an e ticket. Jungle cruise is an e ticket as well, for the same reasons as pirates and haunted mansion.

Now, would I be against a coaster like the old proposed fire mountain, or an Indy ride coming to adventureland? No that would be awesome. But as of right now, aside from the addition of fle, I think adventureland is one of the most well put together lands in the magic kingdom.

Even with the Carpets? I would agree with you up until the Carpets got plopped right smack in the middle of it.

There is a small addition to Adventureland on the horizon it would seem..... something along the lines of an updated Adventureland challange. Don't beleive me? check out the minor construction points popping up throughout adventureland. All signs point to something interactive and RFID based. P.S. Pirates Cannons are being prepared to fire once more :)

bdearl41

Just because a ride used to be an E ticket, doesn't make it always and E ticket. While Jungle Cruise, Hauted Mansion and POTC are good rides that a very popular, I dont see them as "carrots" of the park. That belongs to the mountains.

invader

Just because a ride used to be an E ticket, doesn't make it always and E ticket. While Jungle Cruise, Hauted Mansion and POTC are good rides that a very popular, I dont see them as "carrots" of the park. That belongs to the mountains.
I don't consider myself a pixie dust sniffer, or a doom and gloomer, but to say Mansion and Pirates aren't E's is a bit off the mark.

yensidtlaw1969

Really? I know a good many people (myself included) who put Pirates and The Haunted Mansion near the top of their lists of reasons to visit not only the park, but WDW en generale. And besides, back in the day an E-Ticket was not an E-Ticket because of the power it had to bring people to the park, it was because ticket pricing was how attractions recouped their investment. The largest, most expansive attractions were also the most expensive to build, and needed to be priced accordingly. The Tiki Room was an E-Ticket when it opened . . . laughable to some of us now, but think about how much $$$ was sunk into that kind of show in the 60's. Where the Tiki Room's wow-factor has waned considerably in time since, Pirates and Mansion are attractions whose scale and scope still go unmatched by many of the largest new attractions produced in contemporary times. I think they are quite fairly both E-Tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom