From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

s8film40

I'm not sure if this is the most current sign, just what I could easily find online. I do seem to remember that wading in the water is permitted but swimming is not allowed.
vlsvyF6.jpg

And of course make sure you don't feed the birds.

bethymouse

I know this is ridiculous, but I just can't sleep I am so shocked. We were just there at the POLY. It is so dark at night. I can't imagine Disney.not having some kind of wildlife control. I just can't believe it!:(

SoupBone

So, we're already talking about lawsuits and worrying that Disney might have to pay while a child's body is waiting to be found or pulled out of a gator's belly?!?!

No. 1: Disney will pay this family regardless simply because it is the right thing to do and the payment will likely be seven figures (based on my knowledge of other deaths on property).

No. 2: If Disney ignored problem gators or ignored problem Guests tossing food to them from their private bungalows (no gators in Bora Bora), then they can be held liable.

No. 3: The kid was way too young to be swimming, so if he was in what amounted to six inches of water, that is an every day and night happening at the monorail resorts and has been back to the 70s when Disney advertised swimming in that body of water (which I did in my childhood).

And No. 4 ... I just can't even ... time to go do something else.

Yeah I'm not even considering lawsuits and things like that at this point. This hits so close to home as it does for many people that post here. I'm just so sick for this family right now. That poor child. .

WDW1974

Well, it won't make my family or me feel better. We either stay at the GF or CR and pass that site once or more every day of every trip. Yes, people die in Orlando every day and some at Walt Disney World, but not a graphically and publicly as this poor child. A 70 year old dying of a heart attack is different than a toddler being killed by a wild animal in front of his family.

Yes. And there have been other pretty horrific deaths ... like CMs jumping to their deaths from the Contemporary roof and winding up dead on the monorail beam ... car accidents where people have lost limbs on World Drive ... I really don't wish to think about it. But my point is that this is horrible and unique ...

oceanbreeze77

I know this is ridiculous, but I just can't sleep I am so shocked. We were just there at the POLY. It is so dark at night. I can't imagine Disney.not having some kind of wildlife control. I just can't believe it!:(
it is shocking but like many other horrible events we have seen, "it hasn't happened before"

rob0519

From 2005 after a 5 year old died after riding Mission Space. The statement tonight was almost word for word the same as the first paragraph. It's obviously a template in their disaster playbook, already vetted by their attorneys.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., June 14 /PRNewswire/-- "We are saddened by this
highly unusual event. Our first concern is for the family and we are doing
everything we can to help them during this difficult time.
The safety of our Guests and Cast remains our top priority and 8.6 million
guests have enjoyed Mission: Space without incident since it opened in 2003."

WDW1974

I can't imagine having to prepare for that, but it did come off extremely short and non-personal. But then I can't even imagine anything like this happening.

At some point, they need Georgie K (who I tutored on dealing with media reps years ago -- REALLY!) to come out and talk from the heart. He can do that. But his handlers in Burbank and Legal need to allow it. Because Disney's reactions to the terrorist attack and now this child's demise are coming late, cold and very detached.

bsiev1977

Sadly there are probably more DISNEY personnel working on a way to make sure they are covered legally than there are focused on locating the child(lots of police/search and rescue still working I'm sure). Its sad but thats what happens when it involves businesses..
What should Disney personnel be doing? Should they all be splashing around the beach in the dark?

oceanbreeze77

Will someone please explain how Disney is responsible for this situation?
Knowing where they are located, Knowing what animals are on property, Knowing how young and naive their cliental could be.

Thats not so say they are 100% responsible, but the knowledge of a risk on a highly populated Theme park property should be something that they try to prevent.

Punky

I know they have signs posted not to swim in the water and I saw first hand a baby gator in the water near Hollywood Studio, but kids wander off and it's unfortunate that this had to happen. The family will be in my prayers.

Tony Perkis

Is it any better to try and paint the company as being at fault?
Not applicable. If the first reaction is a response to absolve guilt, then the important matters in this case are not at the forefront. Guilt vs. innocent is a different discussion, but it should never be the first discussion.

WDW1974

They do. But you can't foresee every eventuality at a resort built in the swamps. There are questions that need to be answered. I sadly think in the end this will change some policies because I am convinced that animal was being fed regularly (and likely from those new Poly bungalows). I bet either way you'll see cameras going up overlooking those 'private' villas in the near future.

bsiev1977

Not applicable. If the first reaction is a response to absolve guilt, then the important matters in this case are not at the forefront. Guilt vs. innocent is a different discussion, but it should never be the first discussion.
But plenty of people on here hopped right into pointing responsibility at the company. That's just as bad as focusing on absolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom