From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Few people know Rivers of America are actually connect with the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. There is this video from years ago showing an alligator really near Splash Mountain.

Rivers of America is solid concrete. There are pictures of it drained with cars parked on the concrete during the refurbishment. Still obviously a gator could get in there.

DisneyRiverDrained10-12-96web.jpg

DisneyRiver2Drained10-12-96web.jpg

Last edited:

invader

What was the question?
What was the last question? My connection was poor..
Focused on the idea that this was another event in the wake of the recent events in Orlando and questioned how OCSO/Orlando authorities in general were handling everything. Caught the Sheriff by surprise, he looked defeated.
In the media world it makes a big difference. It's all about telling a story and you can bet the overwhelming majority of stories covering this will have a line similar to "this comes in the wake of other tragedies____" I'm sure they just wanted a quote from him to help tie it together.
Capitalized on all of the recent tragedies and just felt gross. That wasn't reporting and wasn't needed. As another posted said, despicable.

Sped2424

According to the press conference which just occurred on CNN the family was lounging in the beach chairs at the grand flo at night. The child was indeed playing by himself in the shallow water as the family watched from the shore. Something that sadly should not have been happening. They were from Nebraska though and up north lakes are much more habitable for people than they are here in Florida. Just a sad situation all around.

rob0519

I know this won't make you feel better, but people die at WDW every day ... well, not every day, but many days. It is like a city with a population that can be over 100,000. People get hurt or sick or in accidents. This is just horrific because it is a child and such a strange thing.

Well, it won't make my family or me feel better. We either stay at the GF or CR and pass that site once or more every day of every trip. Yes, people die in Orlando every day and some at Walt Disney World, but not a graphically and publicly as this poor child. A 70 year old dying of a heart attack is different than a toddler being killed by a wild animal in front of his family.

jerodisney

He said a foot into the water. I took that to mean that he walked one foot off the dry beach, not that he was in a foot of water.

I have stayed at the Geand Floridian a foot into the dry sand is pretty far from the water and there is a decent amount of light near the begining of the beach area that for what I understand aligators don't like. . Now one foot inside the water, is pitch black , hate to say believe me I hate to say this cause I have a 4 and 5 year old at home. . But somehow I have a gut feeling that if that statement is true Disney will get away with no lawsuits or responsibility toward it since is very specific that no one is allowed in the water. . I do feel Disney is to blame for this one though, knowlingy that Seven Seas Lagoon as alligators and not protecting their properties from it, I don't know they could have nets water fences or something that would prevent aligators from getting near the guest areas. This to me is majorly horryifying I am DVC member and the Grand Floridian is my home resort. . I was there with kids in that same area about 8 months ago and I was going to call tomorrow to book for March 2017. . This won't change my mind, I just hope Disney does some changes, it will def cross my mind to stop and say a prayer in the area next year. .

jlsHouston

Tell him that there are signs around warning of alligators and that the alligator didn't run onto the beach and grab the child. The child was in the water.
The child was actually in the water? That just validates what she is saying, that there needs to be signs posted.

Cletus

Jacquee Polak it looks like ... and she was dreadful. Just like a deer caught in headlights trying to make sure whatever came out of her mouth would pass muster with Legal in the morning. I didn't get one ounce of real emotion in that prepared statement.
I can't imagine having to prepare for that, but it did come off extremely short and non-personal. But then I can't even imagine anything like this happening.

me_stitch

Premium Member
A lot of parents not used to dealing with the threat of gators truly don't realize it's even an issue. I was at CBR a few years ago and parents were letting their children play in the lake. I explained that might not be the greatest idea, and the parents thought I was nuts/paranoid.
I've stayed at CBR twice and both times they told us that there were gators in the water

WDW1974

They have signs posted saying no swimming pretty often, the Sheriff just confirmed the child was in the water. Hopefully that negates any negligence on Disney's part. Any law suit should be thrown out right away. I'm sorry for the loss of the child and don't wish that feeling on anyone but self responsibility has to come into play at some point.

So, we're already talking about lawsuits and worrying that Disney might have to pay while a child's body is waiting to be found or pulled out of a gator's belly?!?!

No. 1: Disney will pay this family regardless simply because it is the right thing to do and the payment will likely be seven figures (based on my knowledge of other deaths on property).

No. 2: If Disney ignored problem gators or ignored problem Guests tossing food to them from their private bungalows (no gators in Bora Bora), then they can be held liable.

No. 3: The kid was way too young to be swimming, so if he was in what amounted to six inches of water, that is an every day and night happening at the monorail resorts and has been back to the 70s when Disney advertised swimming in that body of water (which I did in my childhood).

And No. 4 ... I just can't even ... time to go do something else.

cr3346

I can't imagine having to prepare for that, but it did come off extremely short and non-personal. But then I can't even imagine anything like this happening.
Yea, I mean it took her about 5 seconds to say hello, and then another 5 seconds to blurt out her 5 seconds of sorrow. I was waiting for more from her, but she just disappeared. Rather poor response from Disney

MOXOMUMD

They have signs posted saying no swimming pretty often, the Sheriff just confirmed the child was in the water. Hopefully that negates any negligence on Disney's part. Any law suit should be thrown out right away. I'm sorry for the loss of the child and don't wish that feeling on anyone but self responsibility has to come into play at some point.
A 2 year old sloshing in a foot of dark water may as well be a dinner bell for a hungry gator. Sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom