From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figaro928

Is the public trying to make a little vigil by the beach? if I was in the vicinity, even though I know there would be a high probability it would be removed, I would have liked to show my love and pay respects.

daisyduckie

This wasn't the first attack at WDW, and the sorts of signs you're proposing are posted already in state parks and many other places where alligators are present. So by your reasoning they're already on shaky ground legally in this case, whatever they do going forward.

But that attack was 30 years ago, right? And not another one in all of this time? So doesn't that prove it is more a freak accident then anything? It is not as if there is an attack every month or every year or even every 5 years.

thomas998

Is the public trying to make a little vigil by the beach? if I was in the vicinity, even though I know there would be a high probability it would be removed, I would have liked to show my love and pay respects.
I don't think there would be much point in that. I would expect the parents are no where near that area now and probably wont be going back there anytime in the foreseeable future.... Also not sure if a vigil by a beach where an alligator had taken someone would even make sense from a safety standpoint.

thomas998

But that attack was 30 years ago, right? And not another one in all of this time? So doesn't that prove it is more a freak accident then anything? It is not as if there is an attack every month or every year or even every 5 years.
From a point of logic that would make sense... millions of visitors and decades between attacks would seem to make it more likely that you would die on the plane flying to Disney than you would being attacked by an alligator.... But then you have to realize that the end result if it goes to trial will be decided by people that will be listening to lawyers spinning the story every which way you can imagine. If it goes to trial it will be more a matter of which side as the most polished lawyers than anything else.

21stamps

I get your point. But no. I swear. You don't understand what I am saying because you and I have never met. My obsession with keeping an eye on my kids was a severe one. I had a friend lose a child before my wife had our daughter and it freaked me out. No, I did not go to the zoo or really anywhere without my wife. The few times I did, my child was in my arms or I had their hand. I understand that you don't get where I am coming from. I also know that I may be a "freak" about watching my kids, but I have reasons for it. :)
I fully understand being obsessed with your children.
I don't understand anyone who says they have never once taken their eyes of said children.

However, you are correct I don't know you so I can't know for sure if you actually have or not. Maybe you have cameras set up all over your house and yard and can watch from your phone.

But there are a lot of us who do take our kids on outings and even vacations without another adult. And yes when we pay for our food, or reach in our bag for a camera, we have our eyes off of them for a second. That doesn't make any mother or father any less loving or any less "responsible as a parent".

Lastly, I'm very sorry for your friend's loss. I can't imagine the horror of losing my child.

G00fyDad

I don't understand anyone who says they have never once taken their eyes of said children.

However, you are correct I don't know you so I can't know for sure if you actually have or not. Maybe you have cameras set up all over your house and yard and can watch from your phone.

But there are a lot of us who do take our kids on outings and even vacations without another adult. And yes when we pay for our food, or reach in our bag for a camera, we have our eyes off of them for a second. That doesn't make any mother or father any less loving or any less "responsible as a parent".

Lastly, I'm very sorry for your friend's loss. I can't imagine the horror of losing my child.
Okay. If you're going to be childish (no, I do not have cameras all over my house) then we are done. ;) I am talking about when I am OUT of the house and you know it. Conversation done. Move along.

Figaro928

I don't think there would be much point in that. I would expect the parents are no where near that area now and probably wont be going back there anytime in the foreseeable future.... Also not sure if a vigil by a beach where an alligator had taken someone would even make sense from a safety standpoint.
the people in the paris attacks would have never saw the flowers left in epcot. but people wanted to show support and love. I don't know.... I was just wondering. it must be very bizarre to be in Disney on vacation this week.

jaklgreen

"No swimming" does not mean "stay out of the water"!!!

I think this is the issue. To some it absolutely does mean to stay out of the water. But obviously not to others. Is it splitting hairs to walk around in the water and say "but I am not actually swimming"? I took an informal poll at work today and asked if they though it was OK to wade in the water when there is a no swimming sign. 99% of the people I asked said that they thought it meant you were not supposed to go in the water at all. So maybe there needs to be a wording change to do not enter water.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think this is the issue. To some it absolutely does mean to stay out of the water. But obviously not to others. Is it splitting hairs to walk around in the water and say "but I am not actually swimming"? I took an informal poll at work today and asked if they though it was OK to wade in the water when there is a no swimming sign. 99% of the people I asked said that they thought it meant you were not supposed to go in the water at all. So maybe there needs to be a wording change to do not enter water.
I did the same sort of poll, and came up with the exact opposite result. So I agree, there needs to be a change in wording to prevent any ambiguity.

thomas998

the people in the paris attacks would have never saw the flowers left in epcot. but people wanted to show support and love. I don't know.... I was just wondering. it must be very bizarre to be in Disney on vacation this week.
Oh I understand what you are hoping to do... But it is one of those things that I have never understood when it happens at some place like the France part of EPCOT to show support for people on the other side of the ocean that will never know whether people left flowers or not.

Of course I've also never understood why people make little shrines to people that were killed in a car accident, I'm always thinking that 1) odds are the person didn't actually die at that point they more often than not died on the way to a hospital or at a hospital... and 2) why would you want to do any type of a shrine at the place the person had the bad thing happen to them at. I don't know I alway think I want people to remember good times we had when I go not put up some shrine where I was critically injured.

natatomic

This guy called me a lazy parent knowing nothing about me and implied my kid must be a, uh, "poopless* heathen."

*i cleaned up his language. The word he used started with S.

So he's not exactly a nice guy. Probably best if we all stop engaging with the man who was so busy never blinking around his children he never learned how to have a respectful conversation without name-calling.

Dylan Ann

To me, "No swimming" means not to swim in the water, not to stay out of the water. When it's important to stay out of the water, I've seen very clear sign that state that. As I mentioned before, in Australia the signs are all quite clear to stay out of the water because of crocodiles, sharks, or jellyfish, and here in the States I've seen signs that warned of staying out of the water because of danger TO wildlife/ecosystem, danger FROM wildlife (alligators), and also because of unsafe levels of microbes in stagnant water.

I equate "No Swimming" with "this section of the pool is closed" or "there is no lifeguard on duty" or "this is a public place and swimming isn't appropriate". Putting your feet in the water is just NOT swimming.

G00fyDad

This guy called me a lazy parent knowing nothing about me and implied my kid must be a, uh, "poopless* heathen."

*i cleaned up his language. The word he used started with S.

So he's not exactly a nice guy. Probably best if we all stop engaging with the man who was so busy never blinking around his children he never learned how to have a respectful conversation without name-calling.

Sounds like a phenomenal idea. ;)

s8film40

So just so I understand the person on the left is walking on the beach while the person on the right is swimming in the water?
zMiZWBD.jpg

JohnD

Mom took photos in same spot exactly 30 minutes before the tragedy: http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/06/...-her-child-was-same-spot-where-gator-attacked

Their child was ankle deep. I guess he was "swimming". SMH.

One thing I notice about the photos is that in addition to the signage they should have done a better job of clearing out the vegetation growing in the water's edge. I'm thinking the gator used it to hide.

rob0519

Well to my wife and I, "No Swimming" means we don't want anyone in the water, so stay out. That being said, you can't control people's level of interpretation, so a sign that clearly says "Dangerous Wildlife - Do not go into the water" and / or a decorative, but functional fence or wall of some sort would have been in order.

wdwfan22

To me, "No swimming" means not to swim in the water, not to stay out of the water. When it's important to stay out of the water, I've seen very clear sign that state that. As I mentioned before, in Australia the signs are all quite clear to stay out of the water because of crocodiles, sharks, or jellyfish, and here in the States I've seen signs that warned of staying out of the water because of danger TO wildlife/ecosystem, danger FROM wildlife (alligators), and also because of unsafe levels of microbes in stagnant water.

I equate "No Swimming" with "this section of the pool is closed" or "there is no lifeguard on duty" or "this is a public place and swimming isn't appropriate". Putting your feet in the water is just NOT swimming.

I guess I look at differently .. If your not allowed to swim in the water why would you think it's okay to just wade in the water.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
How is all this bickering and arguing over signage, parenting habits, Disney-negligence, etc going to bring this little boy back?

I get it. Everyone has an opinion and a "hot take" on the situation. But opinions are like..well you know how the saying goes. Signs are coming and the beaches will re-open. Hopefully this will help avoid another tragedy.

But seriously, a family lost a child yet people are upset at each other over other's opinions. Come on now.

Filby61

So maybe there needs to be a wording change to do not enter water.

There need to be signs (text and international symbols) warning about alligators; roped-off areas barring guests from the lakeshore, with video surveillance and employee patrols to enforce it; a continuous, aggressive program of removing alligators from guest-frequented areas of the property; and an ongoing guest education program about the dos and don'ts of WDW wildlife, coupled with a strict, vigorously-enforced policy against feeding alligators.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I get your point. But no. I swear. You don't understand what I am saying because you and I have never met. My obsession with keeping an eye on my kids was a severe one. I had a friend lose a child before my wife had our daughter and it freaked me out. No, I did not go to the zoo or really anywhere without my wife. The few times I did, my child was in my arms or I had their hand. I understand that you don't get where I am coming from. I also know that I may be a "freak" about watching my kids, but I have reasons for it. :)

I parent like you did. I have 2 kids that are 13 months apart and I took them a lot of places. They were in the stroller most of the time and they stayed there. When we were walking I had a hand on them and when they got old enough to get past that running off stage(around 4) then I taught them to always hold on to me. We were accused of being over protective. But I would rather teach my kids to stay close then to have the alternative. They are teens now and are great. So its not like I ruined their lives by keeping them safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom