From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.lol I have no fear of high risk while my child is continuing to roast marshmallows on that beach.

Wow. Color me totally naive. I did not see this coming.

Hopefully..No word on the adventure cruises or water sports closing right?
Nope.

The first time theres a third degree burn incident, we will be having the same conversation.

21stamps

Nope.

The first time theres a third degree burn incident, we will be having the same conversation.
Really, so in any situation where someone gets hurt or killed it means we put a stop to or deny access, not matter how small of a chance it is to get hurt.

All of Disney World should be closed then. The rides, the activities- someone could get thrown off of a horse and break their neck, someone could die if the parasail fails...etc etc...

cindy_k

Oh didn't even think about the adventurers cruise. My son did that twice when he was young.
They take all those 5 - 10 year old's around the lake pulling up to the beaches and hopping out to look for treasure.
He loved that trip.
I wouldn't be surprised if they change that cruise.

21stamps

Oh didn't even think about the adventurers cruise. My son did that twice when he was young.
They take all those 5 - 10 year old's around the lake pulling up to the beaches and hopping out to look for treasure.
He loved that trip.
You guys are freaking me out!!!!!!

I have one scheduled, out of GF...and I want my kid on it. I don't want any of this to end!

Please Disney...please let the ugly fence be enough!

Incomudro

It doesn't have to.
What it does, is put a person at distance from the waters edge so that an unseen submerged gator - the kind that get you - can't lunge out of water and snatch an unwary child off of the beach and back into the water.
Alligators don't run down their prey on land.

rudyjr13

The fence with a rope surely won't STOP an alligator attack but maybe the poor child would have been bitten rather than dragged into the water because of that fence. Good to see Disney doing something so quickly...shame it took a death. I expect the warning signs to go up as well...sorry everyone but there should be warning signs about gators.

21stamps

I think it's more than that. I think a lot of people like staying at Poly and GF bc they are so peaceful, and the view from the beach and your room is unobstructed and beautiful (on the immediate beach) If people want a boardwalk they can stay at an Epcot resort. I think Disney wants the 2 areas to have a different feel.

FrankLapidus

I have one scheduled, out of GF...and I want my kid on it. I don't want any of this to end!

They might only be temporary measures but nothing they do now or in the future should come as a surprise to anyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
He loved that trip.

Again... the situation's details are crucial - this is not just about the presence of gators. It's about the alignment of factors that made the attack more likely. These cruises are offered in the mornings - no real reason to be concerned about increased risks here. Gators are nocturnal.

Worst case you'd come across one and they'd hiss.. and everyone would back away. They aren't going to sneak attack on land like a cheetah :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it's more than that. I think a lot of people like staying at Poly and GF bc they are so peaceful, and the view from the beach and your room is unobstructed and beautiful (on the immediate beach) If people want a boardwalk they can stay at an Epcot resort. I think Disney wants the 2 areas to have a different feel.
I don't think he meant a boardwalk like the one at the boardwalk resort. More like a ground level walkway at the waters edge creating a boundary between the water and land.

Something like this but with the railing only on the lake side and open on the beach side.
F20DC8F6-B75F-517F-561F221D62FB8F70.jpg

cindy_k

Again... the situation's details are crucial - this is not just about the presence of gators. It's about the alignment of factors that made the attack more likely. These cruises are offered in the mornings - no real reason to be concerned about increased risks. Gators are nocturnal.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't think the kids on the trip are in danger from an alligator. Boats noisy, lots of people, morning time. All factors, they probably won't even see one.
I was thinking more that the fence might cause them to change how they do the cruise, as well as the PR aspect of it.
Don't they beach the boat at the different spots to get off?

21stamps

They might only be temporary measures but nothing they do now or in the future should come as a surprise to anyone.
I would find it extremely hard to justify the price of a theme park view room at a monorail resort if half of the resort amenities are taken away. The view and pool alone aren't worth it. Especially during months where it's too cold to swim yet room prices are high and without discounts.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I expect those fences will be everywhere plus signage. Glad they are doing it quickly. Sad it happened. While a fluke, you just can't risk it again.

s8film40

Come on.. link to them.. show them. Let's see the perspective and not just your interpretation... because when I click through the site I see these as the only ones I can think of relating to your '2 of 6' comment.

View attachment 146531
View attachment 146532

You're going to argue that's promoting the recreational beaches and the beach as a vital part of the resort?

Forget history and look at what Disney is promoting today.
Yep, you found them. Again your just not understanding how marketing works. The photos used are very carefully selected for every single element they show. They don't just send someone out and say get a few random shots of the resort. With a resort like that I could easily produce a hundred plus usable photos to market the resort. They have to narrow down what they want to use and they do that very much in line with the message they want to use to promote the resort. Every element of the photos is important. It's no accident that 1/3 of the photos show the resort on it's beach setting. I don't really know what else to say, I get where your coming from, but you'r just not looking at it from the marketing perspective.

EngineJoe

See this is what people get with all the incessant whining and Disney shaming due to a freak accident.

They will probably have to do the same thing at the beach club and yacht club at the boardwalk and the beaches at the Swan and Dolphin all to satisfy the whiners and give them the illusion of safety.

chiefs11

I would find it extremely hard to justify the price of a theme park view room at a monorail resort if half of the resort amenities are taken away. The view and pool alone aren't worth it. Especially during months where it's too cold to swim yet room prices are high and without discounts.
Did I miss something? Isn't being able to go in the water the only thing being taken away, which you weren't supposed to do anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom