From Delux to Moderate......but which Moderate??

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
I just came back from my first trip to WDW. It was AMAZING! I stayed at The Beach Club and was very satisfied. I will be taking my niece when she graduates HS (with at least a 3.0 GPA) as my gift to her. Im not interested in staying in a delux resort (unless I can get a DEEP discount). Ive looked at all the moderate resorts but honestly cannot decide which one! I will be going during early February again. I need a fridge, coffee maker & quiet room. Id like easy uncomplicated bus system nice grounds and beautiful rooms. You guys helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my first trip! Which moderate resort do I choose????

donniechristmas

Port Orleans

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and loved it. You can check the resort site to make sure it has all the room immenities you need. The food court area is nice. The grounds are nice. The main pool is in the middle of the complex with a hot tub and bar. Was very quiet. Bus terminals all around the complex. Would highly reccomend it.

Upvote 0

Robfasto

I always try for the Caribbean Beach Resort, mostly because the rooms are a bit bigger than the other Moderate Reosrts. As the first of the moderate resorts the CBR has 340 sq. ft. rooms and the moderates that followed all are around 315 sq. ft. and to put those sizes into something you can compare with the Beach Club rooms are 380 sq. ft.

For us it always comes down to how many are going to stay in the room... with more people we pay a bit more to get the extra space.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Pofq

Everything that is POR - but more compact - half the size = half the guests. Plus the buses call at FQ first - no standing on the way to the parks

Upvote 0

davewasbaloo

Count me as another vote for POR. We honeymooned here and had a great time. It felt more upscal than the other moderates and was a wonderful experience all around. Also, the boat ride to DTD is great!

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
POR fan as well. Any opinions on Coronado Springs? I was considering that for a future trip cuz it looks like it has a sweet play area and pool.

Upvote 0

davewasbaloo

POR fan as well. Any opinions on Coronado Springs? I was considering that for a future trip cuz it looks like it has a sweet play area and pool.

The Springs are quite good, and well located for DAK. I like the Springs, but it feels far more spread out than POR. It does get a convention crowd in, so the bar can be full of suits, and also there is a gratuity charge in the food court. But the food is excellent. The pool is great too.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the moderates and would rank my preferences in the following order:

1. POR
2.Coronado Springs
3. POFQ
4. Caribbean Beach

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I've stayed at all of the moderates, and PORiverside gets my vote as well. It has all the amenities you are looking for, plus more! It's been my favourite since it was Dixie Landings. My second would have to be POFQ, with CBR and CS following in that order. Riverside rooms include a fridge at no extra cost, coffee maker & quiet rooms, especially in Alligator Bayou. The landscaping is beautiful and has won awards. There are four bus stops so you are never too far from one. The main pool, hot tub and pool bar/lounge are located centrally on Ol' Man Island. There are other quiet pools around the resort as well.

AllEars says that Riverside is "the nicest and best-themed moderate Resort at WDW. The extensive, award-winning landscaping, courteous cast, and choice of room themes will certainly add a large share of Disney magic to your vacation. While some of the "deluxe" Resorts are fancier and have more amenities, Riverside is a bargain that can't be beat." See http://www.allears.net/acc/faq_dxl.htm for more details and pictures, or do a forum search here on WDW Magic.

Have a great time, and congrats to your niece.

Upvote 0

Yoho Dave

Do not go to POR. My friend just returned from the world with a horror story. He was supposed to be at ASMovies which they over booked so they sent him to POR. They lost his luggage ex he got to Por at 7 pm from ASM went to Epcot returned at 11 pm had no luggage the phone in his room didn't work the frigde didn't work til the last day. I don't think he'll ever stay on property again

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We've stayed in several Deluxes, but only one Moderate: Port Orleans - Riverside. The room at PO-R was smaller than that of a Deluxe, but the amenities were very comparable to a Deluxe. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0

Disneysue

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Wow thank you so much guys! I was leaning for either of the Port Orleans resorts. I liked the looks of the rooms online. I had no idea they had award winning landscaping! I like eye candy and nobody does eye candy better than Disney :D

As for the bad experience, Im sorry that your friend had one. Im a 3 strikes person myself. Not 3 in one stay, but 3 visits. It also depends on how the staff handled the issues at hand. Sweet that he was upgraded from value to moderate and didnt have to pay, bites that he had issues.

My BC room was smaller than anticipated. Online they show what looks to be a daybed/sofa thing. Our room did not have one. Perhaps it is because our room was at the end or because there were only 2 of us and we didnt really need it. Just the same, we both agreed it seemed smaller than it looked online, but still had enough room for only 2 people.

Gosh long reply......sorry!:hammer:

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

Personally, I agree with "The Unofficial Guide" and would go with POFQ over POR. After spending all day in a park full of thousands of people, I like coming back to a smaller, more quite resort.

And I'm with ya on going with a moderate resort over a deluxe. I've stayed at all the deluxe resorts, with the exception of Floridian, and I'd say save your $ for more fun in the park. The Polynesian is by far my favorite, but I think anyone would have just as wonderful of a time on less money at a moderate.

Upvote 0

mgraef

I am a POFQ guy as well, but cannot attest to the others. I did walk to POR and it seemed nice, but I am scheduled for my third POFQ.

The lady in the store said it had more repeat visitors than any other Disney resort. Not sure if this is a true statement, but she said it.

mg

Upvote 0

Slowjack

Po-fq

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the moderates. But, my two cents...

I think the PO-FQ has some of the best theming on property. Riverside is close behind. With both of these you can take a boat to Downtown Disney, which, if there's not a long wait, is a nice treat. CB, to me, is a little under-themed. It feels more "generic" than the other moderates--maybe that's just me. Never stayed at CS, but I'd like to try it.

One plus for French Quarter over Riverside is that no matter where your room is, you aren't far from the food court. If, like me, you want to get your mug and refill it when you get back to your room, that's a factor to consider.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom