Frigid Weather Hits O-Town

kashmir

Great Plains blizzards

We are sympathetic to your cold spell and understand the whole north vs. south weather complaints. We have had record cold, record snow - 21", and record snow days (six in the last three weeks!) off of school because of sustained wind chills below 25 degrees! :eek:

I'm missing WDW!:)

Again, I realize that if you're from some northern climate and have magical WDW vacation plans that you may want to blow this off as not serious.

But for those of us who live here, those of us whose livelihoods depend on agriculture and folks who can't afford heat or homes, it can be deadly serious.

So, this isn't really about whether some folks think they can handle the weather.

This is some history-making cold and it is hardship for those of us who have to live here.

Be sure to wear that Mickey tank top and shorts at EPCOT Saturday if it decides to sleet because you know it is much colder in say Minnesota or Manitoba.

:ROFLOL: QFT!

I don't understand why people insist that it can't get cold in florida.

KevinYee

Regarding the upcoming marathon races, I ran the numbers for Kissimmee (not quite WDW, but close) through AccuWeather and got this:

The half marathon on Friday night/Saturday morning:
Low: 33°F RealFeel®: 26°F
Mostly cloudy and colder with showers

... leading to a Saturday of:
High: 44°F RealFeel®: 32°F
A bit of rain and sleet in the morning; otherwise, cloudy, breezy and colder. It appears likely to rain at 8am, when the temp should be 36 degrees (no snow).

Then, Saturday night, when the full marathon folks wake up and stand around the epcot parking lot:
Low: 26°F RealFeel®: 11°F
Clear and colder; breezy late; watch for a hard freeze

Um, ouch. The rest of Sunday says:
High: 50°F RealFeel®: 41°F
Windy and very cold with times of clouds and sun

Good running weather, on the one hand. I will be volunteering and thus standing around. Pity me, instead!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Regarding the upcoming marathon races, I ran the numbers for Kissimmee (not quite WDW, but close) through AccuWeather and got this:

The half marathon on Friday night/Saturday morning:
Low: 33°F RealFeel®: 26°F
Mostly cloudy and colder with showers

... leading to a Saturday of:
High: 44°F RealFeel®: 32°F
A bit of rain and sleet in the morning; otherwise, cloudy, breezy and colder. It appears likely to rain at 8am, when the temp should be 36 degrees (no snow).

Then, Saturday night, when the full marathon folks wake up and stand around the epcot parking lot:
Low: 26°F RealFeel®: 11°F
Clear and colder; breezy late; watch for a hard freeze

Um, ouch. The rest of Sunday says:
High: 50°F RealFeel®: 41°F
Windy and very cold with times of clouds and sun

Good running weather, on the one hand. I will be volunteering and thus standing around. Pity me, instead!!

As Mr. T would say ... 'I Pity The Yee!':ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

It's almost balmy here in SoFla ... 52 degrees according to my trusty Weather Channel thermo/gizmo ... and 72 degrees inside!

JLW11Hi

The other thing that probably makes a trip to Disney seem colder than up north is the fact that you are outside quite a bit of the time. Here in Minnesota, I have no reason to spend more than a few minutes outside as I walk to my car/house, etc. At Disney, your entire vacation pretty much consists of being outside in the parks.

And cold is cold. I mean, I like it when it starts getting in the 50s/60s in the spring, but under that, who really wants to be outside? 30 degrees or -20 degrees, I'm staying inside.

Personally, I hate the cold. The next 3 months are going to suck. But that's expected up here. We're all prepared for it. It's too bad that the south has to deal with this when it is out of the norm for them.

The other thing that probably makes a trip to Disney seem colder than up north is the fact that you are outside quite a bit of the time. Here in Minnesota, I have no reason to spend more than a few minutes outside as I walk to my car/house, etc. At Disney, your entire vacation pretty much consists of being outside in the parks.

And cold is cold. I mean, I like it when it starts getting in the 50s/60s in the spring, but under that, who really wants to be outside? 30 degrees or -20 degrees, I'm staying inside.

Personally, I hate the cold. The next 3 months are going to suck. But that's expected up here. We're all prepared for it. It's too bad that the south has to deal with this when it is out of the norm for them.

You make a good poing especially at the Disney theme parks where a lot of pleasure is derived from simply walking around the parks. It takes a lot of fun out the situation when you are always d__________g inside to avoid the cold or heat.

I will say that all the parks are beautifully designed to handle the inclement weather even during peak seasons. When it rained on the 1st even though the crowds were significant, there were plenty of places to go to escape the rain.

Next Big Thing

I was there all this week. Early on in the week it was very cold. At night it was frigid out (especially at epcot on monday, that was the worst). Today was MUCH better. It got into the 60s today and I was finally able to take my sweatshirt off for a while and enjoy myself walking around WDW for once on the trip. By late afternoon it did get cold again, but it was much better than previous days. Tomorrow I saw highs close to 70, but then it gets bad on saturday again and i've even heard chances of snow flurries.

Mikester71

Saw a story on our local newscast up here in Canada last night about the frigid Florida temps and they showed these big Iguana's dropping out of the trees and landing on the ground in a hibernation-like state. Showed this one guy who picked a few of them up and put them into his truck with him up front to try and keep them warm while he drove home; well they woke up while he was driving and were running all over him! That'll teach him to let sleeping lizards lie!!! :ROFLOL:

Here is a link to a story about it from a Miami news site:

http://www.justnews.com/news/22152242/detail.html

Now this is something I've never seen before and I have a degree in meteorology (not saying its never happened before...)

From the National Weather Service's forecast for Orlando as of 8pm today

Saturday: A chance of rain showers, snow showers, and sleet before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Wind chill values as low as 25. North northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

SNOW SHOWERS and SLEET?!

It'll be like Main Street or the Streets of America around Christmas!
*shivers*
I'm going down this weekend just to cheer on the marathon runners - thank goodness for hot beverages, and good luck to the volunteers that spend a lot of time standing around ;(
Hope everyone that lives down there and depends on crops for a living makes it through this okay!

WDW 3

We are sympathetic to your cold spell and understand the whole north vs. south weather complaints. We have had record cold, record snow - 21", and record snow days (six in the last three weeks!) off of school because of sustained wind chills below 25 degrees! :eek:

In ND we don't get time off for wind chill temps like that. 30's below this week and the kiddies are going to school.:)

Tom

Beta Return
Local media reporting a few snow flakes falling in downtown Orlando at this hour!

What media? The Onion?

It's 54 and feels like 54. It was misting at 1:00pm at MK and here at AKL, but precipitation has stopped.

Orlando isn't that far away. I think they were just seeing ash fall from the sky or something.

talfonso

Gosh - it's cold here in my area (Tampa Bay), and I'll be holding off doing Disney until MLK Weekend.

And, what about the Brazilian tour groups and Argentinean youth herds - they must've been freezing their bottoms off when they invade the theme parks...

Wilt Dasney

It really bugs me when people say "Oh, that's not cold!" .. yes, you live further north so you're used to colder temperatures.
A former boss of mine moved to south GA after working in Chicago and Cincinnati. We were walking to our cars at the same time one day with temps in the 30s and he made a comment about it being cold. I said "Come on Bob, this can't be cold to you."

He didn't crack a smile. He just said "This is COLD by any measure" and scooted to his car. :lol:

It is kinda funny to me how discussions about weather (particularly winter weather) always seem to become a game of one-upsmanship. 30 degrees might not feel as cold as 0 degrees, but that doesn't make it warm. At some point, cold is cold.

Next Big Thing

It is kinda funny to me how discussions about weather (particularly winter weather) always seem to become a game of one-upsmanship. 30 degrees might not feel as cold as 0 degrees, but that doesn't make it warm. At some point, cold is cold.
Finally someone with some sense! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom