Frigid Weather Hits O-Town

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a spirited word of warning for anyone headed to WDW in the next 10 days or so, but Florida is under a very prolonged nasty cold spell ... it's the worst since January 2001 and December 1989, both of which I recall quite vividly.

Right now, it's 39 in O-Town with a feels like temp of 31. Even pixie dust won't warm ya that much.

The high tomorrow will be in the upper 40s. Yes, HIGH. And lows will dip into the upper 20s ... with NW winds blowing 10-25 MPH, the feels like temp will be absolutely bone-chilling.

At least it will be sunny ... or should be ... until Friday when rain is expected.

But going forward, O-Town is expected to even hit 70 degrees for almost two weeks.

This is some VERY cold weather.

So, if you're headed to WDW, be prepared. If you're going to a theme park, you want to layer yourself like you would for a day on the ski slopes ... it really is that unpleasant unless you're from the Arctic!

Not the same cold

This is not the same cold that you are familiar with up north. Yes, the air is arctic, and from up north, but our humidity level is higher, EVEN WITH THE DRIER ARCTIC AIR.

You must layer. Big heavy coats are fine, but the trick to southern cold is many thin layers.

I speak from experience, spending many a winter at single digits with a wind chill quite often below zero (fahrenheit) in the winter months. I would take those temps and conditions over 20's in Florida any day, because here, for some weird reason, the cold just cuts into you.

Do yourselves a favor and err on the side of caution. You can always take off more layers, but if you didn't bring enough, well, that's that as they say.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Brrrr! And I thought it was cold a month ago.

And I`m writing this from home in the north of England, snowed in with all todays filming cancelled. The world`s gone mad I tell you. Mad!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

And I`m writing this from home in the north of England, snowed in with all todays filming cancelled. The world`s gone mad I tell you. Mad!

Snow and bad weather in winter time, whod have thunked it. :shrug:

tn1999

This is not the same cold that you are familiar with up north. Yes, the air is arctic, and from up north, but our humidity level is higher, EVEN WITH THE DRIER ARCTIC AIR.

You must layer. Big heavy coats are fine, but the trick to southern cold is many thin layers.

I speak from experience, spending many a winter at single digits with a wind chill quite often below zero (fahrenheit) in the winter months. I would take those temps and conditions over 20's in Florida any day, because here, for some weird reason, the cold just cuts into you.

Do yourselves a favor and err on the side of caution. You can always take off more layers, but if you didn't bring enough, well, that's that as they say.

You are completely right!

I am from Philly originally, and like any other four season region, I know what cold is. BUT for some STRANGE reason, when its cold in Florida it can wither entire orange crops in one night, it can slice right through your every layer and bite your bones!, it can take even someone from Alaska by surprise.

I have also heard it has something to do with the humidity. Something about moisture retaining temperature so well. Makes for hot summers too. I was in Scottsdale, Arizona this July walking from art gallery to art gallery in 115 degree (dry) heat and I never broke a sweat! I can't say the same would be true for a 90 degree day in the American Southeast. Maybe that is a good analogy for any of you Northern skeptics about to come down here with maybe one hoodie packed. You will be spending money at the Emporium on a new wardrobe!

Tom Morrow

I'm actually enjoying this cold weather, its a nice change and I know it won't last long, so I'm enjoying it while its here.

And yes, if you've never been in Florida when the temperature drops below 60 degrees... its a different kind of cold. The same way Florida humidity makes hot weather seem hotter than it really is, it makes cold seem colder.

jonnyc

It is amazing how the smallest drop of snow creates chaos over here. Although Snow Days were some of my favourite days at school!

tigsmom

39 is a heat wave compared to what we have been having here in my little corner of NY! Right now it's 14, but feels like 3! They don't expect it to be much more than mid 20's as a HIGH for the next week or so...at least the winds have died down.

DisneyPrincess5

39 is a heat wave compared to what we have been having here in my little corner of NY! Right now it's 14, but feels like 3! They don't expect it to be much more than mid 20's as a HIGH for the next week or so...at least the winds have died down.
:lol: Seriously...same in Connecticut.

I can't wait to escape to WDW on Friday, even if it is colder than normal. Anything is better than here!

sweetpee_1993

I've lived in the southeast my whole life & dread this freezing cold. We arrive late Friday night & are scheduled to do the Sunrise Safari on Sunday morning. Think I'll call the IPO today to get that rescheduled. I can't take my kids out in the bitter cold for a prolonged time & risk us being sick the rest of the trip.

captainkidd

Glad we won't be there for another 19 days. Extended forecast shows it getting into the 60's in the next 10 days. Hopefully, it's just a brief cold streak.

WDW 3

Zero right now with this to look forward to. "DANGEROUS WINDS CHILLS LIKELY WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY NIGHT... " I would love to be in Florida:)

petersenjp

Right now in Iowa...with out the windchill...-10.....Anything above 30 will be welcomed.

I will say thought, its making for a...interesting packing experience....

The marathon this weekend will be interesting as well :)

sweetpee_1993

However, that's not the point of this thread, and it's bound to get WAY too political. :D Unfortunately, that's frowned on here...

This is NOT cold. :D It's NICE.

For a southeastern girl like me it's dang cold. I've only seen white stuff on the ground a few times in my life, never more than a couple inches. I'll be freezin my patootie off. Lol!

Mickey_777

When my wife and I were there in early November of '08, it was in the hight 40's low 50's and it was hard to take even though we're used to cold weather here in DC. We didn't check the weather beforehand and it was a very unpleasant surprise...luckily the arctic wind didn't last more than 2 days...I do not like a cold WDW :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom