Free Dining Rumor

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm willing to wager a cup of coffee that the information is correct, give or take a day or two either way. Given the information available publicly through Disney's SEC filings, on its website, and a couple of educated guesses using last year, it's not hard to ballpark.

Len

gettingsmaller

Len,
That sounds like some cool detective work. The history part is pretty obvious... care to share what you have seen in the SEC filings that point to free dining?
I like to invest, but I must admit that delving into SEC filings has never been my cup o' tea...

Thanks!

BTW, Unofficial Guide and touringplans ROCK--you guys do a great job!
(that's assuming you're THE Len...) :)

PhotoDave219

I'm willing to wager a cup of coffee that the information is correct, give or take a day or two either way. Given the information available publicly through Disney's SEC filings, on its website, and a couple of educated guesses using last year, it's not hard to ballpark.

Len

Len, i'm not questioning the accuracy of what you say, Youre always spot on.

HOWEVER......

This looks like it means that if i want to eat at a Disney resturant anytime in that time period.... I should make my reservations NOW before everyone under the bloody sun fills up all the resturants and leaves me with nowhere good to eat because the freeloaders took up all the spots. I suppose they'd rather give free meals away rather then accept cash paying customers.

My beef is with this promotion (and maybe a little with the freeloaders). It sucks for anyone who doesnt plan out their spur of the moment dining six months out (because somehow people feel they are entitled to free food or something.....)

monorailguy01

I heard from a CM in one of the parks last week that the DDP will be free in the months of Aug and Sept. Disney has picked these months to give away free dining because it is Hurricane season and not many people go down to Disney durning this time of year. This is all I was told.. So take it as a whatever you would like

MPitzen

So when or if this promotion does come out will you need a code to book it? Or do you just call & make the reservation and it is applied?

I'm assuming that I'll need a discount code... if this is the case (I realize no one has it or if they do can give it to me now) where would I find this code when it is released?

Thanks!!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

HOWEVER......

This looks like it means that if i want to eat at a Disney resturant anytime in that time period.... I should make my reservations NOW before everyone under the bloody sun fills up all the resturants and leaves me with nowhere good to eat because the freeloaders took up all the spots. I suppose they'd rather give free meals away rather then accept cash paying customers.

My beef is with this promotion (and maybe a little with the freeloaders). It sucks for anyone who doesnt plan out their spur of the moment dining six months out (because somehow people feel they are entitled to free food or something.....)
With or without the promotion, DDP has had that impact on availability. Spontaneity hasn't been an option on which one could rely for years now.

You won't get any sympathy from this "freeloader" over something than appears to be a fact of life. :wave:

Computer Magic

HOWEVER......

Now Dave, I take exception to calling people (in this case me) a freeloader. Looking for a good deal is not freeloading. I (and I'm sure others ) spend a great deal of money to visit your wonderful state. After all, tourist is what keeps FL booming. It's not that we are entitled, it being offered to us. Write your friendly WDW don't shot the people that takes WDW up on their offer.

We go though this every year. I feel bad for those in FL that can't get into WDW places to eat during this time. I don't know what a happy medium is, but I love going in Sept. IF I can get a discount for going, then even better.

I'm not going this year, but if I go next year, I'll invite you to join our table. You will have to pay for your own food, but at least you will have a place to dine.

:wave:

wdwmomof3

Hi, I am new to this but I have been to Disney several times. Our last trip was in Oct of 06. Disney offered free dining just before we went and they also had it while we were there for people from the UK. With a party of six, this would have saved me a lot of money.
My brother in law was looking around and found that some lucky people were able to get the free plan from the US aswell during that time. I don't know how but I would love to find out.
I searched for free dinsney dining and found out that they may have something for this Aug-Sept 07. I could not find a code. If so, this looks like a trend that I would love to try out next year. Good luck to you.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Can you use a discount like this (IF it's offered) on a concierge package?

Thanks!
If I recall correctly, the free dining was only offered on a certain number of rooms at certain resorts. Concierge isn't somewhere I think they'd be too concerned about people wanting to save money. :shrug:

Yes, I know, everybody wants to save a buck! :lol:

JikoMarie

Well this is certainly convienent. This first day of our trip is August 26th! I know that we won't be able to use it at Victoria and Albert's Chef's Table but other than that our food would be free! I was also wondering if you need a code to get this or do I simply add a dining package to my room? (I'd also have to purchas a one day park ticket because we currently have a resort-only reservation.)

I thought it started much earlier last year! I was hoping for a mid-August start..around the time when the whole "Wonderful Weeks of Disney" thing kicks in according to the calendar on their website...but we'll see I suppose.

What is this Wonderful Weeks of Disney thing of which you speak?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Well this is certainly convienent. This first day of our trip is August 26th! I know that we won't be able to use it at Victoria and Albert's Chef's Table but other than that our food would be free! I was also wondering if you need a code to get this or do I simply add a dining package to my room? (I'd also have to purchas a one day park ticket because we currently have a resort-only reservation.)

You will have to re-book if/when the free dining is announced. Your room-only reservation gets refunded and you get a new reservation with a MYW package with free dining. The package can consist of room for however many nights and a one-day base MYW ticket for each member in your party. Be prepared to change resorts, as free dining may not be offered at the resort you're currently booked at.

Since we're both currently booked into Pop Century and people were reporting that they couldn't get reservations there in August, it might not be available there. Kingdom Konsultants made my reservations and have instructions to book me with free dining if it's announced, including a change to an All Star resort in necessary.

gjpjtj

If you have AP's, and book this package, (If/when available), do you need to buy a One day park ticket for everyone in you party, or just one per room?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you have AP's, and book this package, (If/when available), do you need to buy a One day park ticket for everyone in you party, or just one per room?
Everyone in the party must be on the same "package" to get the Dining Plan. So you'd need everyone to have a one-day base MYW ticket at minimum.

lentesta

Premium Member
My guess, based on last year's terms, is that AP-holders would have to buy those one-day passes again. Campsites (but not cabins) are excluded from the promotion. I'm not sure whether suites are...I don't remember what happened last year for those.

Regarding the impact DDP has on ADR availability: I think it's pretty obvious. It's very difficult to get into Le Cellier these days without a reservation more than 90 days out - and for the more popular dining times it's more like 150 to 180. It'd be interesting to see, with all the changes over the past year, a seat at Cinderella's Royal Table is still the most difficult to get in WDW. I'd be surprised if a 6 pm dinner reservation at Le Cellier isn't almost as hard.

In case anyone's interested - the way we figure these things out is by calling Disney Dining over and over again, day after day, to ask for tables at specific restaurants on certain days and times. It allows us to track how fast certain restaurants fill up. It also helps if you have your phone service via cable modem, to avoid long-distance charges. ;)

Len

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
My guess, based on last year's terms, is that AP-holders would have to buy those one-day passes again. Campsites (but not cabins) are excluded from the promotion. I'm not sure whether suites are...I don't remember what happened last year for those.

Regarding the impact DDP has on ADR availability: I think it's pretty obvious. It's very difficult to get into Le Cellier these days without a reservation more than 90 days out - and for the more popular dining times it's more like 150 to 180. It'd be interesting to see, with all the changes over the past year, a seat at Cinderella's Royal Table is still the most difficult to get in WDW. I'd be surprised if a 6 pm dinner reservation at Le Cellier isn't almost as hard.

In case anyone's interested - the way we figure these things out is by calling Disney Dining over and over again, day after day, to ask for tables at specific restaurants on certain days and times. It allows us to track how fast certain restaurants fill up. It also helps if you have your phone service via cable modem, to avoid long-distance charges. ;)

Len

Len - I'm a fan and thanks for the information.

On the issue of spontaneity vs. ADR's, I like to have a few ADRs and have a few meals free to be spontaneous. It does seem that on my last few trips it was very hard to decide to have a sit down meal without pre-planning. So... (just thinking as I type) would it be reasonable to limit the amount of ADRs? For example, could Le Cellier reserve x% (I really don't know what an appropriate number for x would be) of their tables for walk-ups every day? Is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have any idea on the number of guests who show up on their Disney vacations without ADRs? I thought about this on my last trip. I was with my in-laws and my mother in law asked me how I knew you could make ressies for meals (they were very impressed and enjoyed the meals I booked). I really didn't know how to answer except to say - "I'm a Disney freak who reads about this kind of thing all the time!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom