Free Dining Rumor

tink81

It's very interesting that you should be sharing confidential information... Just remember that each of those adds are different based on which market they are sent to. So be careful how you word things and how specific you are, as it is likely that each catch-phrase is only sent to one market.

This gives everyone a chance to talk things over with the fam and get their finances straight so that when the official announcement comes out, we can jump on the phone and get 'er booked. I was merely passing on some very exiting information to the people on this site who have given me some very good and (occasioanlly) "confidential" information over the past year.

I could be wrong, but I have not known Disney to only offer certain discounts to select markets in the US.

DisneyMusician2

They usually don't do the select markets thing. Usually the offer is out these in the US or its not. Although some of the recent ads make me wish I was a UK resident. I'd be psyched if the free diining came back!:king:

How does it work where they "usually" extend the offer back to the 22nd? Just curious if this was common practice and anyone had experienced it.

OneLuckyMom

How does it work where they "usually" extend the offer back to the 22nd? Just curious if this was common practice and anyone had experienced it.

I'm assuming by use of the phrase "back to the 22nd" that you are talking Aug 22nd. And I could be wrong, but I believe the discussion you are referring to about the 22nd was talking about Sept 22nd (the reputed end date of the promotion), not Aug. 22nd. I believe the poster was referring to the fact that if you check in on Sept 22nd, you would get the free dining plan for your entire stay.

ImaYoyo

This gives everyone a chance to talk things over with the fam and get their finances straight so that when the official announcement comes out, we can jump on the phone and get 'er booked. I was merely passing on some very exiting information to the people on this site who have given me some very good and (occasioanlly) "confidential" information over the past year.

I could be wrong, but I have not known Disney to only offer certain discounts to select markets in the US.
Sorry, I was not clear enough. I meant that the particular catch phrase used in that add is going to be limited to the market for which it was sent. For example, they use a specific add for ESPN the magazine, while they use another add for Modern Bride, ect. Each add has a unique code as well as a unique phone number to call, and that information is tracked to see how advertising dollars are comparitively working. SO, point being, an add with the catchphrase that was mentioned above can be tracked back to your specific magazine or marketing agency. So just becareful about sharing TOO much information, especially if it is something that can get you into trouble with your employer.

OneLuckyMom

Oh, I gotcha. Feel a little foolish, but that's OK....:brick:

No problem - it had me going for a minute too to tell you the truth! My current reservation is for Aug 25th to Sept. 2nd. To get the free dining IF it happens this way, I would have to break it into two reservations, one for one night on the 25th, then another for the 26th-2nd if I understand it all correctly. Seeing that 22nd comment had me excited that I wouldn't have to go through all that pain and possibly have to change rooms after just one night - but then I reread everything and figured out they were talking about September.

Of course, I would LOVE for someone to tell me I'm wrong on all of the above!

nibblesandbits

What were the dates for the UK offer? Were they similar?
Ok...I checked the dates for both the UK offer and the offer that was made to people staying on site in December who booked a trip for the next Sept...all of those say 8/12/07-9/29/07 trips.

I'm really hoping that these dates will apply for all others...but my only thought of why they wouldn't are that those weeks that it won't be offered to everyone that it was offered to the UK residents, etc are really full and they don't need to entice people to the resort.

I'm still really hoping the dates get extended...to futher in Sept...and earlier in August...I don't see why the dates are so weird this year...when in years past it has always lasted at least through the end of Sept and it's started in early August.

JimboJones123

It may be that since the weekend of the 29th would start the F&W fest, the would already have enough booked then. Same may go for August. Seems like the Dining Reservation issue they have had the past 2 years have both been in the August weeks and cleared themselves out by Labor Day. Interesting thing to me is not starting the offer until the 12th of April. It was April 1st last year. A Saturday. That is important because that's when Early Editions of Sunday papers went out. This is one of the KEY ad places for this promotion in the past.

If the promotion booking starts on the 12th instead that could mean 2 things. It would be a magazine only campaign, not papers. OR the newspaper ad may not go out until the 14th/15th. Thus, if you want to book, do so before they open at 7am Saturday, they may be getting pretty booked by then.

2 "rumors" in this topic alone aren't to be ignored though. Very interesting. I actually booked this moring with a hope of adding the dining later. We have 5 this year, and are having to move to a Moderate ($$$) or at Poly ($$$$$$$). It's just that our 5th is G-ma, so booking 2 rooms is kinda out of question. I was really upset when I found out Wilderness doesn't book for 5. We'll keep hoping though. Thats $140 a day savings.

nibblesandbits

It may be that since the weekend of the 29th would start the F&W fest, the would already have enough booked then. Same may go for August. Seems like the Dining Reservation issue they have had the past 2 years have both been in the August weeks and cleared themselves out by Labor Day.
I don't know about that...the Food and Wine Festival started last year on the 29th...and they had the Dining Plan promo last until the 29th.

(Why do I think I'm going to have to try to leave a day early to try to get the dining plan to work)

tink81

I never understood why the fall value season began so early in August (the 5th, I think) when the parks are reportedly still very very busy. Maybe they slimmed down the travel dates for this year's FD promotion to help boost a specific slow period (late August, after most US schools are back in). Maybe they knew so many people would book a trip if they offered the Free Dining, but they had to cut down the availability.:shrug:

nibblesandbits, are you the wedding photograhper? I thought I remembered that from your wedding trip report. I guess you really DO have to work on Saturday the 22nd! Hope things work out!

nibblesandbits

I never understood why the fall value season began so early in August (the 5th, I think) when the parks are reportedly still very very busy. Maybe they slimmed down the travel dates for this year's FD promotion to help boost a specific slow period (late August, after most US schools are back in). Maybe they knew so many people would book a trip if they offered the Free Dining, but they had to cut down the availability.:shrug:

nibblesandbits, are you the wedding photograhper? I thought I remembered that from your wedding trip report. I guess you really DO have to work on Saturday the 22nd! Hope things work out!
Yes...I am a wedding photographer...so your right...I do HAVE to work. :lol: Since I usually go with another person though...I'm trying to see if I can work out schedules so I can leave late on the 22nd. We'll see...*crosses fingers and toes*

Lucky

I think you are on to something here. Free dining started in mid August last year, before value rates started (end of August). They've basically reversed them this year, starting the cheaper one (for Disney) first. This makes perfect sense for them: relatively small discounts in most of August, to try to keep the parks as full as in July despite schools in the south starting back, and larger discounts at the end of August when schools in the north start.

DisneyMusician2

I think you are on to something here. Free dining started in mid August last year, before value rates started (end of August). They've basically reversed them this year, starting the cheaper one (for Disney) first. This makes perfect sense for them: relatively small discounts in most of August, to try to keep the parks as full as in July despite schools in the south starting back, and larger discounts at the end of August when schools in the north start.

I thought it started much earlier last year! I was hoping for a mid-August start..around the time when the whole "Wonderful Weeks of Disney" thing kicks in according to the calendar on their website...but we'll see I suppose.

JimboJones123

I don't know about that...the Food and Wine Festival started last year on the 29th...and they had the Dining Plan promo last until the 29th.

(Why do I think I'm going to have to try to leave a day early to try to get the dining plan to work)

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. MAYBE because they have already pre-booked UK and December returning guests enough on the early and late weeks, they won't be offered to the general public. Thus reflecting the "predicted" dates. So basically, I'm saying the same thing. The "original" promo dates did include those extra weeks, but if they are already booked (and we saw a big difference in the crowds and reservation options once the fest started last year) they "may" have slimmed down the dates. Why offer it if it isn't avaliable anyways. PLUS since business picks up that week, WHY PROMO IT MORE? F&W draws a different crowd than "free dining" anyways. Disney prob wouldn't want to overbook ADRs for those dates again if they had before. F&W is a big $$$ crowd. Look at the prices of events. And they all sell out. It would be a good idea to keep those guests happy and slim back the Free Dining promo me thinks.

Computer Magic

Yes...I am a wedding photographer...so your right...I do HAVE to work. :lol: Since I usually go with another person though...I'm trying to see if I can work out schedules so I can leave late on the 22nd. We'll see...*crosses fingers and toes*
This might have been discussed before, can you book for the 22nd but check on on the 23rd? You might have to pay for the one day room, but you still might have a savings. IE one room is $200 but the dining plan is valued at $400?

if check in is a problem, tell them your tavel became delayed at the last minute.....ducks from the ethical police

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom