Free Dining 2013?

ndtechie05

Hello my wife and I are waiting on the free dining option before booking as we have done this the past 2 years. Has there been any evidence of them offering free dining before the year is over?

Disneymama2006

I for one wouldn't expect free dining to be offered much anymore, except in Sept, which I understand is the slowest season. I do like that free dining allows some people who wouldn't be able to go to Disney the chance to go. However, and this is not meant to offend anyone here, we all know there are some families out there who want something for nothing... They get the free dining and then spend as minimal as possible in the parks (no souvenirs, extra snacks, etc..)Therefor Disney isn't making a ton of money off them. They could possibly even be losing money on them. Then there are some families who get the free dining and spend some extra money on souvenirs and special things that they may not otherwise been able to get without the free dining.

I think if they did away with free dining, maybe they could offer some sort of discounted dining plan instead? Like pay for QS and get an upgrade to TS for free if you book at a Value resort? Or maybe a certain percentage off it? That way they are at least making some money on it and not giving it away entirely free.

Wow. There are those of us who can't afford a Disney Trip without Free Dining. I priced out the same package with and without...the difference?? over $1500 for a family of 4!! So that isn't wanting something for nothing. That is the difference between a $2600 trip and a $4500 trip. And the thing is, if you want to stay in the parks all day, there aren't many to choose from that won't cost a heap of money. Even if you split meals (like my husband and I generally do). Disney has made a total of about $20,000 off of my family just on vacations alone over the past few years. I know you said that you didn't want to offend anyone but I can't see how that statement wouldn't offend anyone who can't go without Free Dining.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

My guess is that you're going to see a lot more "Stay, Play and Dine" offers or discounts that reference dining but not necessarily giving it for free. I think Disney will keep you in the mindset of getting a deal on dining when in fact they will likely figure out how much of a room discount they want to do then package it out as if you're saving most of that on dining.

Some people will be ticked that dining isn't "free" but with a bit of a room discount and a bit of a dining discount it will likely come close to that.

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

Wow. There are those of us who can't afford a Disney Trip without Free Dining. I priced out the same package with and without...the difference?? over $1500 for a family of 4!! So that isn't wanting something for nothing. That is the difference between a $2600 trip and a $4500 trip. And the thing is, if you want to stay in the parks all day, there aren't many to choose from that won't cost a heap of money. Even if you split meals (like my husband and I generally do). Disney has made a total of about $20,000 off of my family just on vacations alone over the past few years. I know you said that you didn't want to offend anyone but I can't see how that statement wouldn't offend anyone who can't go without Free Dining.

Actually you completely read what I said wrong. People who need to go with Free Dining is one thing. People who need to go with Free Dining and then don't tip properly, spend no money on souvenirs, extra food, etc is another. That is the group I was talking about that Disney makes no money off of. I stated that clearly in my post that this was the group I was talking about that might make Free Dining not worth it for Disney. Free Dining is a great promotion, but that's what it is, a promotion. It's not a right like some people think. I've seen some people on here DEMAND they get their free dining and that's just wrong. THESE are the people I meant when I said they want something for nothing.. People who think free dining is a right of theirs.

Upvote 0

Mr.Skunkape

Promotions come and go and the seller always has controll over them not the customers. I still think they will not offer any free dining until after they do the standard yearly park ticket increases. With the popularity of AoA filling a bunch of rooms and Be our Guest ADR's booking up solid they may decide they have increased room bookings enough and why give away free meals when BoG can make money off of paying costomers plus the made Le Cellier a 2 credit meal sucking up more credits for people who buy the dining plan.

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Well..if someone would have asked me months ago, I would have told you that I needed FDP for our October trip. Since then...my parents have decided to join our trip. We have found a huge price difference with us staying at a home 5 miles from Disney. No need to worry about FDP. We will cook more meals in. Sure, it still to pay that daily parking fee and miss out on the EMH...but its all around better for us this year. Hoping for the free dining for all those who need it! I see the negative reviews of the food at WDW, but I have no need to complain. It's the memories that matter :)

Upvote 0

Violet

I would think, from WDW's perspective, Free Dining has a higher cost. With room discounts, the rooms are there anyway, whether or not someone is staying in them.

Upvote 0

bluejasmine

Well FD is like a grocery stores weekly ads.. They put out loss leaders to draw ppl in b/c once they are in they will spend more money! I am a big believer in DDP saving familes money but I will say they have dumb down the menus a bit in a lot of places and probably b/c of the DDP whether its free or not. I for one would have never been able to eat at Cali Grill, Narcossee and more places with a family of 4 w/o DDP! We have done FD 5 times and also paid for it many times! I think Disney is waiting to see what their bookings look like for the early fall before putting out a discount but really I think that's wrong if they wait until May or June to put out FD or RO its not giving a lot of families time to pay off their trips before their 45 day mark. A whole lot of ppl are waiting to book when FD or RO hits, but not many can pay off a trip in a month or two.. I know under normal circumstances we sure couldn't. I don't know maybe Im wrong b/c Im so anxious.. Im booked at a mod but if FD doesn't come out Ill have to change to a value..

Upvote 0

Kev1417

I agree with a previous poster. It's one thing to wish for free dining, it's another to demand it. If Disney is filling up those hotels without the free dining why on Earth would they offer it again? I've gone with and without free dining. If you can't go without free dining, look into staying offsite to make up for that difference in cost. You can also get food and make lunch/dinners in your room a few nights. There is always a way to go, it's just about cutting down some of the WANTS in favor of the NEEDS. If you really want to go you can make it happen. Even if it's every other year. Don't blame the free dining though. There was once a time when free dining wasn't offered. It shouldn't be expected every year. Sure it's a GREAT perk, but we can't expect it to be a regular thing. If it was your business and you could still bring in the same amount of people without offering something for free you would do that same.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Actually you completely read what I said wrong. People who need to go with Free Dining is one thing. People who need to go with Free Dining and then don't tip properly, spend no money on souvenirs, extra food, etc is another. That is the group I was talking about that Disney makes no money off of. I stated that clearly in my post that this was the group I was talking about that might make Free Dining not worth it for Disney. Free Dining is a great promotion, but that's what it is, a promotion. It's not a right like some people think. I've seen some people on here DEMAND they get their free dining and that's just wrong. THESE are the people I meant when I said they want something for nothing.. People who think free dining is a right of theirs.
This ^^^ and I have to agree 100%. We have booked a trip, just about once every year for the last 20 plus years. Had free dining twice, (paid OOP for signature restaurants) @derelicte19 is absolutely correct, to EXPECT free dining is a LOT different than being able to jump on the band wagon. We have ALL experienced hard times in one way or another these past years, however... whatever works for one family may not work for another. The wait staff at Disney, for the most part, deserve gratuities, it is NOT included in the Dining Plan. Just by ANY of us booking a Disney vacation, Disney makes money. Again, it's whatever works

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Another board is lighting up with the information of September free dining. It is supposed to be 9/2 - 9/25; booking will begin 5/9; possibly earlier for Visa Holders or this will be the Visa Holders date. QS at values; regular plan for mods and deluxes. The source has been spot-on many times in the past. Crossing my fingers!:D

I hope so! My trip is 9/2 to 9/10!!

Upvote 0

coleandrachel

Another board is lighting up with the information of September free dining. It is supposed to be 9/2 - 9/25; booking will begin 5/9; possibly earlier for Visa Holders or this will be the Visa Holders date. QS at values; regular plan for mods and deluxes. The source has been spot-on many times in the past. Crossing my fingers!:D

Can You give the link to this board?

Upvote 0

kasey1988

We will be going with or without free dining, but of course it would greatly help out. But a discount would make me happy to! I'm hoping for something for our upcoming honeymoon in November!

Upvote 0

Violet

I saw that, interesting. Wow, those are tight dates!...Guess the slow season at Disney is down to three weeks now (if it's true).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom