Free Dining 2013?

ndtechie05

Hello my wife and I are waiting on the free dining option before booking as we have done this the past 2 years. Has there been any evidence of them offering free dining before the year is over?

We don't generally like the Disney Food.
But if they're giving it away for free, as with the Dine Pack, I'll eat in!
There's always the millions of eateries, if you want a decent bite, around Orlando that sound quite exciting!

Chas H.

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

I for one wouldn't expect free dining to be offered much anymore, except in Sept, which I understand is the slowest season. I do like that free dining allows some people who wouldn't be able to go to Disney the chance to go. However, and this is not meant to offend anyone here, we all know there are some families out there who want something for nothing... They get the free dining and then spend as minimal as possible in the parks (no souvenirs, extra snacks, etc..)Therefor Disney isn't making a ton of money off them. They could possibly even be losing money on them. Then there are some families who get the free dining and spend some extra money on souvenirs and special things that they may not otherwise been able to get without the free dining.

I think if they did away with free dining, maybe they could offer some sort of discounted dining plan instead? Like pay for QS and get an upgrade to TS for free if you book at a Value resort? Or maybe a certain percentage off it? That way they are at least making some money on it and not giving it away entirely free.

Upvote 0

mhaftman7

Let's really think this through. To the people who are apparently food snobs, I for one NEVER went on vacation ANYWHERE because of the quality of the food. If the food was the main attraction, we'd all be taking pictures of the meals. Its all about the ambiance, and the fact I don't have to cook it or cleanup.; )

To the person who tried not to offend anyone by painting with a broad brush, who are you to criticize the spending practices of people? Do you honestly think that Disney really cares if you buy one thing once you get thru the turnstile? I don't think they worry about the $40 bucks that 5,000 people don't spend.

Again people aren't going to WDW because of the food or souvenirs. I'd imagine that stuff is just an added bonus to the money men. The more people they jam into the parks, the lower the purchase per person rate is to be successful for the day. 10,000 people spending $20 is a lot easier to accomplish than 5,000 people spending $40.

Herd that cattle by any means necessary!

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Well.. I personally think the "free dining" is a great incentive to offer. Iam not one of the "families who wants something for nothing", but free dining is a huge help to my family! Also, don't agree with the statement of "Disney is making no money off of them", as listed above?! Personally, I have never walked into a Disney park or stayed at a Disney hotel for free. Therefore, I have paid money like everyone else.

Upvote 0

Violet

I don't think Free Dining will ever be back. Just my guess. September isn't even that slow anymore. If anything, they will give room discounts to boost occupancy.

Upvote 0

bluejasmine

Well.. I personally think the "free dining" is a great incentive to offer. Iam not one of the "families who wants something for nothing", but free dining is a huge help to my family! Also, don't agree with the statement of "Disney is making no money off of them", as listed above?! Personally, I have never walked into a Disney park or stayed at a Disney hotel for free. Therefore, I have paid money like everyone else.

I don't think that is true at all! I agree Adrian Your not getting it for nothing you pay rack rate for your rooms! Besides it is a huge savings for family's like mine, & if nothing else it frees up more spending money for the parks! Even if it didn't & a very budgeted family came to the parks on free dining there is nothing wrong with that not everyone has the money to spend but they should still be able to enjoy WDW!!!

There is still a good indication that FD will come out for Sept it is my understanding that CMs have been barred from using their 20% off during the normal FD months already & that doesn't normally happen outside of FD..

Do I think FD offer will be the same as in past yrs probably not.. I hear uk is getting FD but only QS in mods & deludes nothing in values..

Either way I'd prefer FD b/c it saves us much more, if a RO code comes out ill definitely be grateful for that as well..

Upvote 0

R W B

Didnt free dining only start a few years ago when the economy crashed in 2008ish?

With the economy regaining strength now and if wdw is filling rooms without FD, why would they bring it back? I like it as much as everyone else but I understand if they don't have it again or if its only for a few weeks at a time.

Upvote 0

Violet

I think their occupancy rates are high. If anything, I think they will try to use room discounts as a way to get people to upgrade and get used to a higher type of accommodation. And upgrading rooms that are available anyway doesn't cost them as much as free dining.

It also seems there is no truly slow season anymore there.

Upvote 0

draybook

Didnt free dining only start a few years ago when the economy crashed in 2008ish?

With the economy regaining strength now and if wdw is filling rooms without FD, why would they bring it back? I like it as much as everyone else but I understand if they don't have it again or if its only for a few weeks at a time.

Scratch that, just had to edit my post.

The DDp came out in 2005, with Free Dining starting in 2006. As per:http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/10/21/affect-of-the-disney-dining-plan-on-disney-restaurants/

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen

Scratch that, just had to edit my post.

The DDp came out in 2005, with Free Dining starting in 2006. As per:http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/10/21/affect-of-the-disney-dining-plan-on-disney-restaurants/
Yeah, the whole concept of discounted rooms is also a relatively new concept that started after 9/11 (I think?) We've never known anything other than WDW with either free dining or room discount, but history shows what we've experienced for the past decade or so is an exception, not the rule. And Disney has supposedly promised Wall St that they will scale back their discounts as soon as possible, so get it while the gettin's good!

Upvote 0

mhaftman7

Yeah, the whole concept of discounted rooms is also a relatively new concept that started after 9/11 (I think?) We've never known anything other than WDW with either free dining or room discount, but history shows what we've experienced for the past decade or so is an exception, not the rule. And Disney has supposedly promised Wall St that they will scale back their discounts as soon as possible, so get it while the gettin's good!
Why does Disney care what wall street thinks? If anything, Disney's discounts are the best type of stimulus package there is. I mean even with the discounted room rates, how many millions are they making this evening alone? To me that's just smart business. People will spend more when they perceive they are getting something for nothing.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Why does Disney care what wall street thinks? If anything, Disney's discounts are the best type of stimulus package there is. I mean even with the discounted room rates, how many millions are they making this evening alone? To me that's just smart business. People will spend more when they perceive they are getting something for nothing.
Nobody is getting anything for "free". The rack rates on the WDW rooms is sooooo high so that they can "discount" so people think they're getting a deal. They aren't. They're getting fleeced. It's just a pricing game that Disney has learned to play with consumers.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom