FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

Minnesota disney fan

Okay, I mostly lurk and rarely post, and I guess I get the Capt. Obvious award for saying this...

But.... isn't it curious that every time a thread like this is posted where a new unexpected process, or closing, or change occurs, that a small zealous group of users expend an inordinate amount of time contradicting, belittling, and/or discounting those that are disappointed or upset.

It is a natural reaction for people to be disappointed when things change -- everyone deals with it in their own unique ways, which often include the ability to vent for awhile with others who share your interests. I truly do not understand the motivation of people who jump in and immediately start to poke holes in someone's post that is mostly driven by feelings.

As for the immediate issue at hand -- obviously it is disappointing to show up at a park and see that one of your favorite rides is down for renovation, closed for an unexpected break, closed for weather, etc., but the difference is that the disappointment is shared by all and is pretty much explainable and outside of anyone's control at that moment. The distinction here is that this is directly within Disney's control, was not announced so that anyone could adjust their plans at even a few days ahead, and is counterintuitive to how amusement parks have and continue to operate. There is also a very visible psychological component at play here that shows that SOME people are allowed to ride, but YOU are not even allowed to WAIT (in other words, move along, we don't want your kind here...) Think about how this has also played out in other places this year like BOG.

I do realize that people cast the golden age of WDW in this sepia-toned everything-was-perfect nostalgia, but one thing that Disney always used to do very well was provide an egalitarian environment for ALL their guests. This in my opinion is the worst casualty of MM+ and FP+ -- WDW is now a land of haves and have-nots, and it seems like every week I read another post that enhances that notion.
Yes, JR, I agree! Please let everyone state their opinion/feelings and respect that without flaming them. I know that if I had done rope drop at hs and hurried to ride TSM(my and my husbands favorite ride), we would be extremely disappointed and upset. I would not take it out on the cm; it is not their fault! That is my plan for our trip in November to ride our favorite ride, and we are not 3 years old, but in our 60's and love to play that game on that ride:):) The point is that we are not given the choice of waiting in line. That's the main problem here! I personally have met some wonderful people while waiting in line and had interesting conversations as well Well said, Jr.

Hopeful

No, my point is, like alot of people, we go to Disney for 6 days, (doing it for many years! we are not newbies) do a park a day,plus some downtime. If you have kids that have their very favorite ride, and you go the the park and can't get on it? because Disney won't let you? TSMM is a MAIN ATTRACTION for many families! We all pay premium to get in, we should be allowed to ride even if it means waiting. I feel very sorry for families esp with small kids who are very disappointed this week (after months of planning, saving, and expectation). Not like there is another Toy Story ride there (DHS has a problem with the # of rides anyway) It's not the end of the world for adults, but it is big for little kids! Why is Disney doing this to start with? I don't think there IS a winning time for doing this, bec we don't what their purpose is for doing this. At least a little forewarning would help!

draybook

I don't understand how there is a winning time to do something like this. Either you or somebody else will be involved no matter when they do it. I would certainly hope that no one spends that much money and it all hinges on a single attraction. Seriously, much ado about nothing. Repeat after me... It's a theme park! It has hundreds of other things to see. The world will not come to an end because it is a little more difficult to get into nothing more then a large sized video game. Life will go on.

Hundreds of other things to see? Are we talking about the same Disney's Hollywood Studios?

Minnesota disney fan

Each year, a visit should get simpler. The opposite is happening.

In the old days, you could go to a ride, stick your ticket in the machine, and get the next available Fastpass, or wait in line whenever you wanted if they were all gone. Simple.

Now, unless you download their malware app and have your phone with you and fully charged, you have to go to a kiosk nowhere near the ride, enter your name, address, birthday etc. in a clumsy terminal keyboard that barely works, then when they've NSA-style data captured all they can (or you've spent five minutes trying to enter fake details and zip codes so they don't spam your life and track your every move), you're either told nothing is left, go and ride something that's a walk-on anyway, or you can choose a good time from whatever is left. Works for some, but boy is it complicated in comparison.
Yes, brer jon, but what if for the sake of argument, you don't have a smart phone. Horrors of horrors!!!! What will you do. Yes, that is what I don't have, and by choice. I don't like the idea of being online all the time and checking things all the time. That's just me, but you would probably be surprised at the number of people who don't have smart phones for one reason or another. Another reason is the cost for me. I pay for landline, internet, tv, etc, etc and can't afford the smart phone. But I wouldn't want to carry one with me all the time or be connected all the time. It's too much, all the time...... So, I feel that those of us that don't have the smart phones will have a more difficult time setting things up, changing times, etc , but I know all this and will do it if I want to do a certain attraction. I just think the powers that be think Everyone has up to date technology, but that is not the case. Just another thought about technology have and have nots. (please don't flame me, I know not having a smart phone is my choice:)

Minnesota disney fan

Not everyone has access to the internet on vacation.
and not everyone has a smart phone! I know it's hard to believe but we don't have smartphones. I have the good old flip phone and buy minutes when needed! So, it will be more difficult for us on our vacation in November, but we will do the best we can. As for standby lines? I didn't mind them; had some great conversations with others, And I made the choice to stand in it!

AEfx

I think you're wrong there. Disneyland is by no means immune to FP+ and the like coming to the West Coast. Once it's hammered out in Florida, and yes these tests are what I assume management is considering hammering out, it will make it's way west.

From my understanding, Anaheim has turned it's nose up at it; it also makes far less sense (not that it makes sense at all, but that's another topic) in Anaheim since most visitors are not taking week long vacations there but are folks just spending a day or two. The amount of folks who book Disneyland specific trips months out is far lower than it is at WDW.

Captain Chaos

It makes no difference if they don't come back. Most visitors to WDW are either first timers, who don't know any better, or DVC members who were locked in years ago to visiting, regardless of quality. If one guest doesn't come back, there's four Brazilians waiting to take their spot in the great circle of WDW Dining Plan Fastpass+ life.
I am a DVC member... Want to know how many WDW parks I visited this year? ZERO.. Want to know how many I plan on visiting next year despite using my DVC? ZERO... We aren't all returning customers... Yes, we stay on property, but we don't all visit the parks or dine on site... I always eat off site (except for a few exceptions), and I visit other attractions in the area.. Yes, I escape that Disney bubble... See dusters, you can leave the bubble and survive.. Mickey won't drone strike you..

Next Big Thing

It makes no difference if they don't come back. Most visitors to WDW are either first timers, who don't know any better, or DVC members who were locked in years ago to visiting, regardless of quality. If one guest doesn't come back, there's four Brazilians waiting to take their spot in the great circle of WDW Dining Plan Fastpass+ life.
My point ultimately was... if guests are having a bad experience and then go back home and tell about said bad experience, are they really going to be able to count on all of these first timers anymore? MM+ is creating bad experiences for many, which in the end leaves people going home and bad-mouthing the vacation.

Sure, they have these foreigners coming right now, ut in 5-10 years will they still be coming in such mass quantities?

hopemax

My point ultimately was... if guests are having a bad experience and then go back home and tell about said bad experience, are they really going to be able to count on all of these first timers anymore? MM+ is creating bad experiences for many, which in the end leaves people going home and bad-mouthing the vacation.
I assume Disney, and most people assume that Disney's "cultural identity" is so strong that the spigot of new guests will never be turned off. However, I think you can look at someplace like Sears, who had a similar massive cultural identity via their catalog, and see that the spigot can, most definitely, be turned off given enough missteps. I was reading something from an analyst that listed Sears as a "sell" stock. He said, after reviewing the Twitter comments to an article he had written about poor conditions within the store:
In analyzing their passionate responses, I was left with an impression that Sears personally hurt them, as if the poor physical conditions and buying experiences at the majority of the store base were a kick to the face of the pleasant, simpler times of shopping the brands at their operational peaks as children.
What is happening at WDW recently, is exactly the same. And if people use social media to make ripping on Disney more cool than visiting Disney, WDW will have a problem. Right now, there is too much "Emperor's New Clothes" going on. But back in high school and junior high, the biggest fads would flip in an instant. And the reaction will probably be even stronger because Disney is even more beloved. It will be the worst breakup ever, for the cultural psyche.

baymenxpac

I assume Disney, and most people assume that Disney's "cultural identity" is so strong that the spigot of new guests will never be turned off. However, I think you can look at someplace like Sears, who had a similar massive cultural identity via their catalog, and see that the spigot can, most definitely, be turned off given enough missteps. I was reading something from an analyst that listed Sears as a "sell" stock. He said, after reviewing the Twitter comments to an article he had written about poor conditions within the store:

What is happening at WDW recently, is exactly the same. And if people use social media to make ripping on Disney more cool than visiting Disney, WDW will have a problem. Right now, there is too much "Emperor's New Clothes" going on. But back in high school and junior high, the biggest fads would flip in an instant. And the reaction will probably be even stronger because Disney is even more beloved. It will be the worst breakup ever, for the cultural psyche.

look no further than the former "kodak picture spots" around WDW to see how even a titan of a specific industry can completely disappear when they fail to innovate.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Precisely - very well said Interestingly enough Sears USED to be one of my favorite places to shop never a 'Cool' brand but high quality merchandise for a reasonable price. I still have and use a a power drill my grandmother bought me from Sears when I was 12, These days their power tools don't even make it through their warranty period. In my house my Kenmore Gas Stove which I bought in my 20's is still preparing food everyday.

Today's Sears products are junk, I'll buy USED Sears stuff from the old days but I will not touch their new merchandise with a barge pole.

See the parallels in these two companies both of whom are ingrained in the American psyche.

rct247

The rumblings I've heard say that there are times especially in the morning when they are sending empty vehicles. Rediculous if there are people outside wanting to ride!

There are attractions that do cycle empty seats or vehicles at times during the day especially in the morning and evening but that is because demand is low. This may be a similar case, but if you have people demanding to ride now, having them return later doesn't make sense. They want to avoid having a line but they need a line in order to maximize the amount of people they can put through. Of course downtimes throw a wrench in the system, but it is a bigger problem when return times/FP is involved.

Anyone have more updates from the attraction?

Next Big Thing

The rumblings I've heard say that there are times especially in the morning when they are sending empty vehicles. Rediculous if there are people outside wanting to ride!

There are attractions that do cycle empty seats or vehicles at times during the day especially in the morning and evening but that is because demand is low. This may be a similar case, but if you have people demanding to ride now, having them return later doesn't make sense. They want to avoid having a line but they need a line in order to maximize the amount of people they can put through. Of course downtimes throw a wrench in the system, but it is a bigger problem when return times/FP is involved.

Anyone have more updates from the attraction?
Exactly, hopefully they realize how much of a fail this whole idea is after this test.

hopemax

Alright, so this my logistical solution to the 2 loading area, FP, standby problem, that needed such invasive testing to solve.

New track = Standby
Old tracks = FP+
Empty seat problem = introduce single rider(which people want anyway). Use current FP+ return queue, and current system of pulling off parties of 1 or 2 to the right stairwell, only allow people to fill it up to the door. When FP+ returns slack off, fill more liberally using single rider (direct some SR to the left side until it reaches a certain point). People already understand SR may get you a quicker or slower boarding time depending on ride conditions, and can be inconsistent. SR is basically a "mini standby" line which is what it sounds like it needs. A full standby is too much, and no standby is not enough.

just brainstorming...

Bairstow

Empty seat problem = introduce single rider(which people want anyway). Use current FP+ return queue, and current system of pulling off parties of 1 or 2 to the right stairwell, only allow people to fill it up to the door. When FP+ returns slack off, fill more liberally using single rider (d

I'm not sure single rider is ideal for an attraction like this where there's only 2 to a row anyway and there's a competitive aspect to the attraction.
Few people are going to want to share a 2-person bench with some random stranger who will then immediately compete with them in a video game.
If they did, they'd probably go to DisneyQuest.

draybook

No, I am talking about WDW in general. And please, who would travel to WDW just to see one attraction at one park?

Yeah, but your assumption/theory is that everyone that travels to WDW has a park hopper ticket or annual pass. As a matter of fact, of our 8 trips to WDW, only 3 of them included the park hopping ability. This year we bought APs and the two March trips included park hoppers due to the major price break from buying through the cheerleading group.

You better believe that if I had a one park ticket and showed up only to find 1 out of the 3 major attractions down without notice for a test like this, I'd be beyond ticked.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, but your assumption/theory is that everyone that travels to WDW has a park hopper ticket or annual pass. As a matter of fact, of our 8 trips to WDW, only 3 of them included the park hopping ability. This year we bought APs and the two March trips included park hoppers due to the major price break from buying through the cheerleading group.

You better believe that if I had a one park ticket and showed up only to find 1 out of the 3 major attractions down without notice for a test like this, I'd be beyond ticked.
I'm not sure what park hopping has to do with what I said. I was referring to the overall statement that they were upset because Disney didn't inform them ahead of time that they were going to run that test. As if to say, if I had known that I wouldn't have gone at that time. My response was to the thought of are they only going to see Toy Story? Why would the assumed inability to get to one attraction alter plans that far and away exceed one attraction? What is the difference between that and having a popular attraction down because of a breakdown (not planned rehab)? What is so terrible about that and why would it not be just as bad for most people that have made reservations months ago if they had announced it in advance? Even if it were next week it is still going to affect someone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom