Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

Club Cooloholic

[QUOTE="eliza61nyc, post: 8405086, member:
2017 we did a Royal Caribbean cruise. Again drink prices through the roof, which I think they do to make you buy the soda package.[/QUOTE]
Don't you think the price increases and food increases in general can be attributed to the Dining Plan in a similar fashion? I bet a snack plan is in the works.

eliza61nyc

[QUOTE="eliza61nyc, post: 8405086, member:
2017 we did a Royal Caribbean cruise. Again drink prices through the roof, which I think they do to make you buy the soda package.
Don't you think the price increases and food increases in general can be attributed to the Dining Plan in a similar fashion? I bet a snack plan is in the works.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

flyerjab

To see a definite difference in pricing, if you are DVC spend a week or several days at the Hilton Head or Vero Beach resort and don't eat at the food location on property. The difference in food prices (for my family of 5) is very noticeable (and appreciated). Sometimes we drive to HH and stay DVC there for 4 or 5 days, then drive down to WDW and stay for 4 or 5 days. WDW is definitely more expensive.

And I also stay at Cape May and don't find the prices as costly as at WDW. That being said, I guess I don't expect them to be either. For us, WDW has always been a more expensive vacation and I suppose it always will be. I feel for the guests that are outside the US and travel as far as they do. The cost of airfare is more and they typically will stay for a longer time (2 to 3 weeks?). That has to get crazy expensive if you tried to eat onsite for the entire trip. It is definitely more affordable for those in the US that only stay for 4-7 days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I felt like we were just discussing this - found the wdwmagic update from 2016:
https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ease-at-snack-and-quick-service-locations.htm

Increases by comparison:
  • Regular Fountain Drink is now $3.99 (2016 increase went to: $3.29, up from $2.99)
  • Large Fountain Drink is now $4.49 (2016: $3.69, up from $3.29)
  • Bottled Water is now $3.50 (2016: $3, up from $2.75)

Ahhh...actual facts. Thank you

So a 33% increase in 3 years?

I better check my paycheck and make sure they’re giving me 11% cost of living 🤓

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Go Sports! Put the thing through the thing and score points!

People laugh at my wife and me because she's a fanatic about college athletics and I still need to have the rules explained to me.

I agree that clinging to college sports is kinda sad...

Don’t you live in the mountain mama? They beat you if you don’t watch football there

Tay

OtHer thEME pArKS, moVIE tHEaTERs and SpOrtiNG EVeNts HavE beEn pRICEd WaY HIGHEr For YEars

So...............................................................................
Why does that make it acceptable for Disney to do it? You are not going to spend a week at any of those other theme parks and you can live a few hours without something to eat or drink at a movie theater or sporting event.

Those prices are ridiculous and so is Disney’s.

DisneyCane

It's cheap enough that in this part of Florida, at least, McDonald's can charge $1 for a large and provide unlimited free refills during your visit.

I think the overall point is, and I think we can all agree, the actual cost has absolutely no bearing on the price that Disney charges for soda (or really anything else) in any part of Walt Disney World.

To that end though, actual cost has almost no real bearing on most prices in a capitalist society as some things will be sold at a loss and others at crazy-high prices.

I just think in the case of WDW, there are no loss-leaders.

McDonald's operates on a very different business model than WDW. They strive for low overhead and high volume at low gross margins. Theme parks, sports venues, movie theatres, etc. have high overhead and their volume is limited by the "audience" at any given time.

I posted my comment because of the attitude that the raw materials to make soda cost almost nothing so Disney should sell it for slightly above nothing.

Food and drink in a theme park isn't a commodity so it isn't priced based on supply and demand reaching a market balance. It is sold based on maximizing profit. The goal is not to sell as much as possible. It is to reach the balance between sales and cost of the sales to maximize profit.

If Disney halved the price of soda and doubled sales as a result (which wouldn't happen), they would make less profit because it would cost more in staffing and maintenance to sell twice as much.

There is a reason why places like Taco bell have their "happy hour" deals on things like soda and frozen carbonated beverages. They've determined that during those hours, they are already staffed at a minimum so driving additional sales during those times with lower prices will lead to higher profit. If they price too low, they will have to add staff which will defeat the purpose.

I can buy ingredients at Publix to make a steak dinner FAR cheaper than I can get it for in a restaurant. I'm paying for the preparation and "experience" of eating out. It's the same with food and beverages at WDW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeah...I call foul there too

A sit down on LBI will run you $225-250 or so for a party of 8....

What’s that at a Disney location? $450? And ticket costs...
We did a sit down at Emeril's in City Walk several years ago, and it was $450 for 8, so... it's comparable.

I can buy ingredients at Publix to make a steak dinner FAR cheaper than I can get it for in a restaurant. I'm paying for the preparation and "experience" of eating out. It's the same with food and beverages at WDW.
That's why, to my reckoning, they haven't installed barbeque grills at the WDW resorts...

eliza61nyc

Yeah...I call foul there too

A sit down on LBI will run you $225-250 or so for a party of 8....

What’s that at a Disney location? $450? And ticket costs...

so when we go to Monco and monco for pizza here is the menu
https://mancospizza.com/ocean-city-menu/

plain pie with nothing on it 20.00 bucks with something on it. 25 bucks 1 pie.

When we go to Blaze
http://allears.net/dining/menu/blaze-fast-fired-pizza/lunch-dinner/

God bless you if you found a place to eat for 32 bucks a person. lol. here's one of our favorites
https://captainstableoc.com/dinner/

humm let me do the math. this is just what I got for dinner a few weeks ago.
13.00 little neck clams appertizer
30.00 two jumbo crab cakes
10.50 1 glass of proseco.
so for little ole me, I'm already at what's that 53.00 bucks and I'm not having lobster nor steak. so when I have my son's I can extrapolate 53*3 ~150.00-200 and this is without dessert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom