Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

eliza61nyc

I have DVC and never set foot in the kitchen...I do that at home.

I bought becusee I know the beast and the hotels were gonna get jacked into low orbit...primarily to sell DVC. They can’t resist the allure of no housekeeping.

But I don’t care what they charge me for the snacks...I’m on vacation.

But I don’t think I have the authority to tell everyone they shoudn’t care.

lol you know I say that all the time but I think it's maybe because we generally go when it's Africa hot outside, I find lately it's way more energy getting up and getting dressed to go out to eat.

But I'm on another dvc website and I was surprised how many of us, fully cook. We always did make it a point to stock up on water and drinks.

lol, this year I really must have bumped my head against some thing because we did laundry every day.

fngoofy

That's normal in a lot of arenas/venues, as at some gigs some fans would through bottles at the act. A sealed bottle hits a lot harder than an empty one.
Yes, I know. But I can't help but feeling (particularly at an event like this where they are selling all kinds of throwable memorabilia) that a spilled water needs to be replaced quicker than an unspilled water.

eliza61nyc

Acting as a large screen.

We can compare this to ball parks or concert venues all day long, but I would argue people don't attend those venues for several days. Prices are already higher than average. In addition, many of the midwest amusement parks are starting to include soft drinks and even sunscreen. Not that I expect Disney to offer free drinks and sunscreen, but as stated....soda syrup is cheap.

lol you do realize that first you say you shouldn't compare it to other venues and then you compared it to midwest amusement parks, which people also don't stay for several days.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Disney Parks don't need high food prices to stay Profitable. A Prime Example is Tokyo Disneyland. While Gifts/Plush/cloths are more expensive at Tokyo Disneyland, food and bottle drinks are much more reasonable. Sure the price at a vending machine is higher than the ones outside of the park but it's 40 to 90 cents more. So ~$2.00 for a Soda or bottle water instead of $1.10 or $1.50.

geekza

MickeyMeme.jpg

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, but the environment is changing. Is it enjoyable to cut out soda and lug water around? I am not trying to derail the thread, or offend DVC members, but I have some legitimate questions on how these rising cost affect DVC members who committed to Disney for decades.

When we considered purchasing, the vision was the vacation atmosphere would be as magical as it was in that moment. Over time, this is clearly not the case today, and if I could only continute to support Disney vacations by making all these cuts, it would be less enjoyable and devalue the attractiveness of DVC.

This is well worded. Vacations are for sure less enjoyable now then they were 5-10 years ago. There used to be a value equation for WDW. Sure it was expensive, but for what you were getting, it felt worth it.

Now there is no sense in even considering value. You are getting raked over the coals at every turn. Every single time you light up that green mickey head, you know you are a sucker. It wears on you(me).

I would for sure not purchase DVC today. Even forgetting the insane price point of DVC points now. I just don't see the appeal of going to WDW on a yearly basis anymore.

lostpro9het

Yes, but the environment is changing. Is it enjoyable to cut out soda and lug water around? I am not trying to derail the thread, or offend DVC members, but I have some legitimate questions on how these rising cost affect DVC members who committed to Disney for decades.

Carrying a bottle of water to the park is hardly lugging anything around but we also dont drink soda.

When we considered purchasing, the vision was the vacation atmosphere would be as magical as it was in that moment. Over time, this is clearly not the case today, and if I could only continute to support Disney vacations by making all these cuts, it would be less enjoyable and devalue the attractiveness of DVC.
This is a legitimate concern and, no, our current vacations are not like they were when we started. Going 2-4 times a year will have you changing your park habits, at least it did for us. We are perfectly content now going to a park for a few hours in the morning and maybe riding 1-2 rides then going back to the resort to relax til evening time. This would have been unheard of for us back in the day when we would be disappointed if we didn't ride 20 rides in a day. We recognize the ridiculous nature of the pricing and simply don't support it. We are happy that roughly $1500 in MF gets us 2 weeks of accommodations in one of the deluxe resorts which we will use for pre and post cruising as well as some park visits.

Voxel

President of Progress City
This is well worded. Vacations are for sure less enjoyable now then they were 5-10 years ago. There used to be a value equation for WDW. Sure it was expensive, but for what you were getting, it felt worth it.

Now there is no sense in even considering value. You are getting raked over the coals at every turn. Every single time you light up that green mickey head, you know you are a sucker. It wears on you(me).

I would for sure not purchase DVC today. Even forgetting the insane price point of DVC points now. I just don't see the appeal of going to WDW on a yearly basis anymore.
This. I don't think I would plan a Long Vacation to WDW again, esp after living an hour away for the last two years and going regularly every other week. I would rather spend the money and see one of the Foreign Parks.

flyerjab

We are DVC and bought in the GFV when they opened so we also get the DVC member 'perks' as they say - some of them are worth it, others are not.

We all have our opinions on this. Right now these price increases do not impact us. My wife is a genius at finding cheap flights to and from PA. We use Magic Express so we don't pay for a rental car. We use Amazon Prime to have food delivered and we always eat breakfast in the room. We usually pay for one QS and one TS each day, with a few signature dining restaurants mixed in. Sometimes we just snack at lunch so we cut out the full price of a QS or TS lunch. Also, I am allergic to alcohol so that always cuts down on the cost.

We don't buy 'merch' outside of an occasional T-Shirt. Disney has never suckered us into buying stuff. Over time we collected the Starbuck's mugs but that is pretty much it.

We are also Season Pass holders and with as many times as we are in the parks during a year, WDW almost loses money on us.

My wife and I have found out how to make Disney affordable for us and that it is still an excellent experience when we are there. It is funny to me too because as much time as I spend on the boards, I read all of the negative responses but still go and have an incredible time. People who want to complain are free to and have every right to do so, especially if the economics of the reality are impacting there enjoyment or number of trips they can afford. I won't call people ignorant or stupid for complaining about something that is an inevitability. I only hope that people don't attack me for not getting upset about it.

Club Cooloholic

Im

I'm somebody who is in the process of buying in now. I'm not happy about the price increases. That said, I do not plan on going every year and either renting out points I dont use or gifting them. This purchase is a long term look thing where we can take future family trips in 20 years and treat, without paying 5k for a week at a hotel.

baymenxpac

$5.00 for a bottled water & 7.00 for a large soda at MetLife stadium in NJ...In the grand scheme of things, it's not that bad... I being 2 2 liter bottles with me from 7-11 into the park. The only thing I get is ice. The bottom line is, we as guests are captives (for lack of a better word)...Remember, tap water IS free at WDW...

if you're a fellow jets fan, i hope you're packing a lot of beer in those coolers to ease the pain. if you're a giants fan like my wife...well, i hope you're packing a lot of beer in those coolers to ease the pain.

Club Cooloholic

It's cheap enough that in this part of Florida, at least, McDonald's can charge $1 for a large and provide unlimited free refills during your visit.

I think the overall point is, and I think we can all agree, the actual cost has absolutely no bearing on the price that Disney charges for soda (or really anything else) in any part of Walt Disney World.

To that end though, actual cost has almost no real bearing on most prices in a capitalist society as some things will be sold at a loss and others at crazy-high prices.

I just think in the case of WDW, there are no loss-leaders.
Also McDonald's is competing against every fast food or gas station around, trying to get you to come in and buy food and soda. Disney has its captive audience. I suppose we can thank Sea World and Universal, if they were not competing the price increases might be 3 times higher!

eliza61nyc

So first let me say I purchased back in the early 2000's so I've gotten pretty much all my initial outlay back.
So far I still see myself committed to Disney.

Now in my family we set a vacation budget and then we look around to see how far that budget will go and some of the places price out.
I don't know where people vacation where the prices have stayed the same or only risen with inflation, but as I said before all the other vacation venues have had the same cost rise.

2016 we did Atlantis in the Bahamas. You want to talk about ridiculous water bottle prices. lol I complained one night at the bar and the bartender ask me who goes on vacation to drink water. lol
2017 we did a Royal Caribbean cruise. Again drink prices through the roof, which I think they do to make you buy the soda package.
2015 we did Paris and Disney.
We spend a week at the Jersey shore almost every summer and the food prices are just as high as Disney.

so my reality is simple, I'm not going to stop traveling.

Now over time our prices have actually gone down because as a dvc member we no longer buy the stuff that maybe a first timer does. We definitely don't buy tee shirts and trinket.
Before we ate in the parks and did character meals. Now we have a car and can easily go offsite. we always stop by walmart and get stuff for the room
Not sure why folks think bringing water to the parks is "lugging". it's pretty easy, freeze 4 water bottles, wrap them in paper towels so the condensate doesn't wet up every thing else, stick them in my bag.

eliza61nyc

Im
I'm somebody who is in the process of buying in now. I'm not happy about the price increases. That said, I do not plan on going every year and either renting out points I dont use or gifting them. This purchase is a long term look thing where we can take future family trips in 20 years and treat, without paying 5k for a week at a hotel.

That's what we do. the picture in my avatar, that's a girl trip we took to celebrate one of the ladies beating Breast cancer. stayed in a 2 bedroom at AKL kidadi village. Didn't cost them anything for the room. Awesome time without the outrageous price. can't imagine what a 2 bedroom savannah view would have run me.
Be careful, lol I always say I'm going to rent my points out also. hasn't happen yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom