Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

ppete1975

Six flags and silver dollar city are more expensive than Disney,
Disney doesn't keep you from bringing in drinks
movie theaters are more expensive than this (of course that's where they make their money, its not off tickets)

So to me yes they went up, but oddly cheaper than much inferior parks.
Any idea what universals concessions cost currently?

Jon81uk

What's the cost of a soda at Universal?

lol oh wait never mind I found some prices. surprise surprise, not much cheaper. bottle of coke 3.29, souvie cup and soda 15.99
I did find a bottle of water for 3.00 bucks. Monster energy drink was 5 bucks.

This was just a quick cursory search and the prices listed were from feb 2017

I think Universal is often reactive to what Disney do. So Universal will only go up after Disney increases. Also Uni do offer the refill cups (although now up to $15 and $8 for the second day). So if you do two days it could be $23 for unlimited soda, which means four refills a day and you are saving money.

eliza61nyc

movie theaters are more expensive than this (of course that's where they make their money, its not off tickets)

So from a really quick search Universal is at the old Disne prices. Soda is 3.29 and water is 3.00 bucks

seascape

We are DVC and bought in the GFV when they opened so we also get the DVC member 'perks' as they say - some of them are worth it, others are not.

We all have our opinions on this. Right now these price increases do not impact us. My wife is a genius at finding cheap flights to and from PA. We use Magic Express so we don't pay for a rental car. We use Amazon Prime to have food delivered and we always eat breakfast in the room. We usually pay for one QS and one TS each day, with a few signature dining restaurants mixed in. Sometimes we just snack at lunch so we cut out the full price of a QS or TS lunch. Also, I am allergic to alcohol so that always cuts down on the cost.

We don't buy 'merch' outside of an occasional T-Shirt. Disney has never suckered us into buying stuff. Over time we collected the Starbuck's mugs but that is pretty much it.

We are also Season Pass holders and with as many times as we are in the parks during a year, WDW almost loses money on us.

My wife and I have found out how to make Disney affordable for us and that it is still an excellent experience when we are there. It is funny to me too because as much time as I spend on the boards, I read all of the negative responses but still go and have an incredible time. People who want to complain are free to and have every right to do so, especially if the economics of the reality are impacting there enjoyment or number of trips they can afford. I won't call people ignorant or stupid for complaining about something that is an inevitability. I only hope that people don't attack me for not getting upset about it.
My wife and I make 4 and sometimes 5 visits a year. We love the 4 Epcot events each year. Like you we eat breakfast every day in our DVC unit. Spend the morning at the pool. We either have lunch in our unit or at one of the QS restaurants at the resort. We love the new GPG at the Wilderness Lodge. They even have pool side servers. In the evening we eat dinner in a park or Disney Springs. With DVC and annual passes WDW can be a wonderful and enjoyable vacation and still not be outrageously expensive. Also going as often as we do means not having to spend all day in the parks, which also look nicer after dark.

MrPromey

Offhand I can't say on the food. We don't typically get the pretzels or other stuff that has an easy comparison to Disney prices but I think their in-park refillable mugs are $12.99 for one and go down by a buck or so each time you add an additional one to the purchase.

Of course, that's only good for a single day but given the nature of unlimited refills and the fact that their QS locations in both parks all have the freestyle machines for refills, it's worked out well for us in our visits.

Universal has less of a guest lock-in so in general, I think it's harder for them to play with pricing but I'm sure they will follow Disney's lead with an increase if they think they can get away with it, just like the normally do with ticket pricing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup. Worse, I'm a Marshall graduate, so I'm already at a social disadvantage when it comes to local collegiate sports.

My brother lived in Huntington for awhile and I grew up not too far from Morgantown...

One is not Beverly Hills and one is not Compton...

Both more like hazard county 😜

geekza

My brother lived in Huntington for awhile and I grew up not too far from Morgantown...

One is not Beverly Hills and one is not Compton...

Both more like hazard county 😜
Watch it there, bucko! ;) Sadly, Huntington was a lovely city when I lived there. The opioid epidemic hit it hard because of its location. Breaks my heart.

Disneyhead'71

The difference between Universal and Disney, as far as table service restaurants go, is Universal's most expensive TSRs have prices that align with Sci-Fi Dine In. But have considerably better food.

And here are Universal's current snack prices.

souvenir-popcorn-bucket-coke-freestyle-universal-orlando.jpg

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The difference between Universal and Disney, as far as table service restaurants go, is Universal's most expensive TSRs have prices that align with Sci-Fi Dine In. But have considerably better food.

And here are Universal's current snack prices.

souvenir-popcorn-bucket-coke-freestyle-universal-orlando.jpg
Its tough to be beat Leaky Caldron Fish and Chips and Bangers and Mash, but I'd say its comparable in price to Disney.

Disneyhead'71

Its tough to be beat Leaky Caldron Fish and Chips and Bangers and Mash, but I'd say its comparable in price to Disney.
The counter service restaurants are fairly comparable in price between the 2 resorts. And both resorts have some awful counter service and some pretty good counter service. Like Cosmic Rays and Comic Strip Cafe are both equally as awful. But Leaky Cauldron and Columbia Harbor House are pretty good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom