FoTLK To Close in January?

GLaDOS

Could they move it to Nemo while the new theater is built, then bring Nemo back after FotLK moves to the new theater?

The Theater in the Wild would need to be heavily modified to hold FotLK, so if it did indeed go in there, it wouldn't be leaving.

ellie-badge

Does anybody know if Finding Nemo: The Musical has been low in capacity lately? When I went to the show a few years ago, it was filled to the brim. Even when I didn't go, there was a ridiculously long line that lead all the way past the giant yellow dinosaur and into Dino-Rama. Unless my mind's playing tricks on me, and I forget how ridiculously close the theater is to that carnival area.

twinnstar

Does anybody know if Finding Nemo: The Musical has been low in capacity lately? When I went to the show a few years ago, it was filled to the brim. Even when I didn't go, there was a ridiculously long line that lead all the way past the giant yellow dinosaur and into Dino-Rama. Unless my mind's playing tricks on me, and I forget how ridiculously close the theater is to that carnival area.

I went last year, and it was like 3/4s capacity :(

duff527

You'd certainly think they'd wait until the last possible minute to close FoTLK, but waiting til the new one is ready? I don't think so. Why wouldn't a company that's always looking to save a buck reuse pieces of the current building? You obviously need a new foundation and core structure, but facades, seating, lighting, AC system ...all could be transported to a new facility.

KevinYee

I haven't heard any insider info on this one, but for what it's worth, I'm a little concerned. If FoTLK closes in January, it means that the show (#1 guest satisfaction on property) will be absent for a while until they build a new arena. Or it means Nemo is absent while FoTLK temporarily takes over. Each outcome is guest-unfriendly.

But either of those would save the company money. I wouldn't be too surprised, given recent company history, if they have to "rob Peter to pay Paul" (ie, save money on shows to scape together the funds to build the new theater). You'd think construction of a replacement theater should be part of the Pandora budget, but again, it wouldn't surprise me too much if it wasn't.

WDW1974

I just skimmed the thread and have no idea of its veracity ... but it is VERY likely based on what I've been hearing that FotLK could go away for six months (or more) likely replaced by LK meet and greets while a new venue is constructed.

Disney is looking to save a tremendous amount of money to cover for the fact the resort's numbers have been awful (still waiting for that Jason Garcia piece comparing actual attendance in summer of 2012 versus low-points like 2001-03).

And a show like that is pricey (well, by cheapo Mickey's standards) to put on multiple times a day ... also putting it on hiatus could allow Disney to cut hours further at that park ... in other words, 9-5 all the time ... no 9-6s and 9-7s when spring starts.

I want to be clear that I have no idea if this is 'the plan' but anyone who thinks Disney wouldn't do this isn't dealing in reality.

IWant2GoNow

When I was there first week of June it was packed. I see no reason to change or alter the show at all, it's amazing!

Nooo... :(

If I were Disney, I wouldn't even dare think about touching Finding Nemo: The Musical when I know that a Finding Nemo sequel is currently in the works over at Pixar Animation Studios. If Finding Nemo 3D doesn't renew interest, hopefully this sequel might.

Oh no... a sequel?! Please no. That movie should be left at one.

maryszhi

please noooooo this is legit one of my favorite shows, and it has the best guest count :) i hope this is a joke! if not i will be sad :(

GrumpyFan

Hang on a second, while I go blue sky.

First. I can't really see FOtLK being moved into Theater in the Wild (Nemo theater). The stage layout and seating would require a total re-work of the show, or a re-build of the building, plus that means that both shows would likely be closed at the same time. I just don't see them doing that.

So, what if they re-configured and expanded the Flights of Wonder theater and then move FOtLK into this new venue? Closing that show to make room for Lion King would have a small impact on overall park capacity and they could keep the Lion King show open during all but the final phase of construction. Plus, that theater is in a prime location, between Asia and Africa.

Although, if they were crazy, and decided they were really going to use Theater in the Wild for LK, they could move Nemo to DHS in either the Mermaid show building, or the Beauty and the Beast theater. This seems like a good fit for that park.

At any rate, I don't see either of these shows being retired in the near future. They're both still really popular.

wdw71fan

For better or worse, last show is on January 19th. There have been discussions of constructing a 'temp' show building that would resemble the original 'temp' building that the show was in when AK opened, but that may or may not happen.. But, see the show before January 19th, or it may be a while.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
For better or worse, last show is on January 19th. There have been discussions of constructing a 'temp' show building that would resemble the original 'temp' building that the show was in when AK opened, but that may or may not happen.. But, see the show before January 19th, or it may be a while.

Relocating (eventually) to Harambe? Or elesewhere?

GrumpyFan

I wouldn't dismiss this, but keep in mind that dates like these have a tendency to change or get moved further out. Even announced dates change when ops get the schedule and pitch a fit about reduction in capacity/potential revenue. But, that is a good time of year to close it. I'm kind of surprised they are doing it sooner in the month when crowds at the lowest.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I made a point to check out the theatre structure for FotLK when I was there in March, and it appears to me that the entire structure (with exception to the newer enclosure walls) could be dismantled and moved. Knowing how tight the Orlando team is with its pennies, I'd have to guess that the entire structure is going to be taken apart, and moved to it's new home in Harambe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom