For those who will miss Sorceror Mickey's Hat from DHS

CAPTAIN HOOK

What does Fantasia have to do with a park that was about movie making and the Hollywood of yesteryear? You could put a giant version of an object from any iconic movie and it would do about the same thing. And it would still be ridiculous and not fit in with the rest of the park.
What does a water tower have to do with movie making and the Hollywood of yesteryear (other than they littered the skyline) ?
So if you were to put a giant version of a water tower (from any iconic movie from yesteryear) and place it into a theme park it would do exactly the same thing and still be ridiculous and not fit in with the rest of the park.

By the same standard of your argument - where does Rock'N'Roller coaster fit into a movie based theme park ?

Bing Bong

What does a water tower have to do with movie making and the Hollywood of yesteryear (other than they littered the skyline) ?
So if you were to put a giant version of a water tower (from any iconic movie from yesteryear) and place it into a theme park it would do exactly the same thing and still be ridiculous and not fit in with the rest of the park.

By the same standard of your argument - where does Rock'N'Roller coaster fit into a movie based theme park ?
RockNRoller Coaster takes place in a sound studio. Sound and music production. There you go.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
While I did go to DHS prior to the hat, I was only 8 years old when the hat went up. I love it and I think it brings magic to Hollywood Studios. It was put up for Walt's 100th birthday and I think it's so awesome that we've been able to hold on to it for this long. I'm going to miss it greatly. Thank you for making this post.

Bing Bong

The best part of all of this (other than the hat coming down of course) is that the demolition is listed as "Hub Enhancement" and I couldn't agree more.
Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_22694.jpg;width=640

Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_22693.jpg;width=640

BrianV

I was at MGM shortly after it opened. It lacked an icon. There was the earful tower, but it was hard to see. Epcot center had the globe. And of course MK had the castle. The tower was weak compared to the other two.

When they added the "beautiful awesome hat", affectionately known as BAH to some ;) it did solidify the park with an icon. And it did match the theme as it was from a quintiessential disney movie. And I liked it.

But change comes and I'll be fine when it is gone too. I suspect with all the construction and additions, we may find that the new icon is the Jedi Temple or who knows what. But I would be surprised if they went back to the water tower.

Sage of Time

??!?!?!

Just about everything?! The water tower is an iconic symbol of the environment. It makes the illusion all the more believable.

It's like the Red Cars at DCA. In real life, trolleys like that need wires and cables to run. And their poles dot the street and "clutter" up the sky.

So, when Disney builds the Red Cars, what do they do? Build a system that's technologically advanced and doesn't need the cables, but they BUILD THE CABLES ANYWAY FOR THE THEMATIC REALISM.

Not yelling there, just trying to make a point, seeing that everyone is so touchy touchy about "rudeness" in this thread.

But anyway, it goes the same way with the water tower. It's a symbol of hollywood's functionality and deepens the illusion about the place. And that's what it makes more sense as the icon, despite terrible placement, than a fake/animated/tacky/oversized prop.

And for the record, Rocking Roller Coaster is a thematic aberration and shouldn't be in DHS. Or at least the part that it's in. I can't stand it.

There's a reason why DHS is my least favorite Disney park out there...

Bing Bong

I was at MGM shortly after it opened. It lacked an icon. There was the earful tower, but it was hard to see. Epcot center had the globe. And of course MK had the castle. The tower was weak compared to the other two.

When they added the "beautiful awesome hat", affectionately known as BAH to some ;) it did solidify the park with an icon. And it did match the theme as it was from a quintiessential disney movie. And I liked it.

But change comes and I'll be fine when it is gone too. I suspect with all the construction and additions, we may find that the new icon is the Jedi Temple or who knows what. But I would be surprised if they went back to the water tower.
This is thread is full of delusional people.

Phil12

The best part of all of this (other than the hat coming down of course) is that the demolition is listed as "Hub Enhancement" and I couldn't agree more.
Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_22694.jpg;width=640

Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_22693.jpg;width=640
The notice of commencement was signed by Kelly Lincoln who is no doubt related to Abraham Lincoln who was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's theater. President Lincoln was well known for wearing a stove pipe hat. And now 150 years after the cold blooded assassination of Abraham Lincoln we're about to witness the cold blooded demolition of the BAH. Coincidence? I think not. I called the contractor (Coastal Steel Inc) that is removing the BAH and the project manager for this work is Mr. Booth.

FettFan

Because movie studios have water towers.
7951882474_a587d7062c_b.jpg

S85AXQt.png

sony_pictures_water_tower-100534390-primary.idge.jpg

The average movie studio is essentially a small town, and as such, water is essential. Water towers use gravity to keep water pressurized so that potable water can be distributed throughout the studio property.

The studios decided that they could use the towers as a billboard of sorts to advertise their brand....and to lock up naughty children.

maxresdefault.jpg

erstwo

I don't care either way what is considered the park 'icon.' Hat or no, I'm happy.
But I *will* miss the 'under/ near the hat' atmosphere.
For once upon a time there was a little princess who first met 'Min Mouse' under the shadow of the great Hat. And has returned there ever since to meet and greet some of her favorite huggable characters. THAT I will miss. Terribly.
image.jpg

image.jpg

But here's to new things. Hopefully better than ever!

BrerJon

What does Fantasia have to do with a park that was about movie making and the Hollywood of yesteryear? You could put a giant version of an object from any iconic movie and it would do about the same thing. And it would still be ridiculous and not fit in with the rest of the park.

How about a giant penguin from Mary Poppins? Or a giant Indiana Jones hat. Or a Titanic iceberg? The idea of sticking a random movie prop in Hollywood Boulevard is ridiculous.

To those saying why isn't the water tower in front of the theatre... let me explain how the park is themed.

The whole point of the park is you have Hollywood Boulevard, the real world, at the front, then you go through the gates at the side (to what is now Animation Courtyard) into the studios, where production happens - and it's on the tour of those studios where you see the tower, as that is where towers were located on real movie lots.

Having the stupid hat throwing off the theme for years has convinced people that good theming means sticking random props anywhere, but it doesn't, it means sticking them where they are most appropriate.

BrianV

How about a giant penguin from Mary Poppins? Or a giant Indiana Jones hat. Or a Titanic iceberg? The idea of sticking a random movie prop in Hollywood Boulevard is ridiculous.

To those saying why isn't the water tower in front of the theatre... let me explain how the park is themed.

The whole point of the park is you have Hollywood Boulevard, the real world, at the front, then you go through the gates at the side (to what is now Animation Courtyard) into the studios, where production happens - and it's on the tour of those studios where you see the tower, as that is where towers were located on real movie lots.

Having the stupid hat throwing off the theme for years has convinced people that good theming means sticking random props anywhere, but it doesn't, it means sticking them where they are most appropriate.

Except that it is no longer MGM or just Hollywood studios. It is _Disney's_ Hollywood studios. Giant Indiana jones hat would be out of place (though I guess disney does now own Lucas film). The iceberg as well. And there is nothing iconic about a penguin from Mary poppins. However, mickeys hat is iconic and hardens back to the beginning of the disney cartoon movie magic. We'll have to agree to disagree. And hey, you win because it is leaving.

As far as the location of the water tower, however, I totally agree. Having it in the middle would be out of place for the theming you describe. However, that is all the more reason that the water town fails as an icon...because it is meant to be hidden away and rarely seen.

I can accept that the Chinese theater would be the ideal icon. But it lacks scale that the castle, ball, or tree have.

Bottom line is if they improve the park experience with new lands and rides, everything else is moot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I won't miss it.

My daughter will.

She never knew it any different.

But, that's what Disney does. I remember her complaining that they replaced Kim Possible with Phineus and Ferb (even though she LOVES both IPs)...

It's lost Disney...and now it's time for the Hat to say goodbye.

And, I've said this before (and this thread is proof), when you have a part of the park that is there for more than a decade, it becomes part of the "park" for a vast many people who "grew up" with the parks.

So, yes, while I'm glad to see it go, as I grew up going to MGM (not HS) and was there opening summer, etc...I know my daughter will ask us on our next trip, "Where is the hat?"

That being said, it was nothing more than a photo op and a pin trading station, at best.

So, while I'm among the group who wants to see it leave Hollywood Blvd, I'm not among the group who wants to see it disappear. I think it would work really well elsewhere, but just not where it sat.

I always wanted it where the Christmas Tree is - as for many people it IS a key part of the park I hope it's relocated to a more appropriate location, The BAH itself is not bad, Its location is AWFUL and was from DAY ONE because it ruined the sightlines and the overall design of Hollywood Blvd.

Sage of Time

Except that it is no longer MGM or just Hollywood studios. It is _Disney's_ Hollywood studios. Giant Indiana jones hat would be out of place (though I guess disney does now own Lucas film). The iceberg as well. And there is nothing iconic about a penguin from Mary poppins. However, mickeys hat is iconic and hardens back to the beginning of the disney cartoon movie magic.
Contrary to popular belief, branding isn't that important. Everyone with half a wit knows that it's Disney's park. You don't need a giant hat to tell you that... just like you don't need a wand spelling out 'EPCOT' over Spaceship Earth. People know where they are and what they are seeing.

Usually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom