For those who will miss Sorceror Mickey's Hat from DHS

jensenrick

Original Poster
I know there are people who really like it and will miss it. Seeing as it will be gone soon (and the other thread about it is rather toxic), I thought I'd start a thread where people will miss the Hat can talk about how much they liked it and will miss it.
Foolish me.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I won't miss it.

My daughter will.

She never knew it any different.

But, that's what Disney does. I remember her complaining that they replaced Kim Possible with Phineus and Ferb (even though she LOVES both IPs)...

It's lost Disney...and now it's time for the Hat to say goodbye.

And, I've said this before (and this thread is proof), when you have a part of the park that is there for more than a decade, it becomes part of the "park" for a vast many people who "grew up" with the parks.

So, yes, while I'm glad to see it go, as I grew up going to MGM (not HS) and was there opening summer, etc...I know my daughter will ask us on our next trip, "Where is the hat?"

That being said, it was nothing more than a photo op and a pin trading station, at best.

So, while I'm among the group who wants to see it leave Hollywood Blvd, I'm not among the group who wants to see it disappear. I think it would work really well elsewhere, but just not where it sat.

DisneyKiwi

I sadly will only ever get to see the hat in other peoples photos. It will be gone by the time I arrive.

Does anyone know why it is being removed? Surely it isn't just because a bunch of people on the internet complained about it...

FettFan

mmUTOxDlOcNcH5L2q3VTy7g.jpg

What will YOU celebrate? :D

I sadly will only ever get to see the hat in other peoples photos. It will be gone by the time I arrive.

Does anyone know why it is being removed? Surely it isn't just because a bunch of people on the internet complained about it...

Because it was supposed to be gone like 12 years ago. It was a temporary structure that was built for the Millennium celebration, then got re-purposed for Walt's 100th Birthday. (fixed into proper order)
The popular story is that when Disney built it, they never budgeted for a removal, so they turned it into a pin station and special events stage.
This is also the reason it took until 2007 to get the horrid severed Mickey arm removed from Spaceship Earth.

So I guess the extra revenue from Frozen oversaturation has actually paid off. :)

Last edited:

jensenrick

Original Poster

Well, that's too bad- it was a sight to see.

No, definitely NOT because of that. Evidently it was always intended to be temporary.

Redsky89

I never minded the hat. I dont know why people were in a uproar about it. Some of my best photos I've taken at WDW were with that colossal hat. The Chinese Theater will be a nice sight though. It represents Hollywood and the movies which is what the park is really all about.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I never had a problem with the hat being there or not. I'm neutral about the whole thing, really.

My other WDW fanatic friend is actually sad to see it go! I'm more interested in what the park icon will be on advertisements. I personally was never a fan of the water tower icon. So small and can't really get a picture in front of it.

CP_alum08

Ill miss it if they don't repurpose or relocate it. Maybe they already said either way and I'm out of the loop! I really to like the hat just not as the focal point of DHS.

The Tuna

There are so many better places for the hat. The hat itself was great to look at, but it was in the wrong place. I won't care that it is gone, But it never really bothered me that it was there either. I don't tend to let things bother when I'm there though, I just enjoy myself.

To everyone who is going to miss it, Don't let it ruin things for you. Enjoy the "New" old view.

sgtmgd

I was there when "MGM" opened so have seen both sides of the coin, I had to real issue with the Hat, in the overall scheme of things it certainly didn't make Starring Rolls cupcakes any less enjoyable, or the Mama Melrose Steak and Mac-n-Cheese taste horrible and it certainly didn't effect my enjoyment of Toy Story Mania.....now if you want to blame the hat for something like how horrible Hollywood and Vile is to eat then and maybe then I'll lend an ear...either way Ill see how far they are with removing it next week when we get there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because it was meant to be temporary - 14 years ago - but the mighty Walt Disney Company couldn't afford to remove it until someone else came along. Much like the wand, Horizons...

(I know it's blasphemy putting those two words in the same sentence)

WDW_Jon

Grew up without the Hat as a kid/teen and it was then there after a few years I missed prior to visiting more often again as an adult.

I actually quite liked it, I think it's a shame it has to go and looks good, only problem anyone has ever had was its location...
I'd be happy to see it moved elsewhere as a compromise as I think it's a great icon for the park but in a different spot...

MKCP 1985

I ran the Disney marathons a couple of times and the photos with the hat in the background were cool mementos of those occasions. Good photos.

and I bought my first ever pin in the shop under the hat. It was the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea pin with a piece of a porthole from the old ride. That pin had quite a value for awhile, if it doesn't still.

Bye, Hat. You will not be forgotten.

jensenrick

Original Poster
I ran the Disney marathons a couple of times and the photos with the hat in the background were cool mementos of those occasions. Good photos.

and I bought my first ever pin in the shop under the hat. It was the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea pin with a piece of a porthole from the old ride. That pin had quite a value for awhile, if it doesn't still.

Bye, Hat. You will not be forgotten.

What an awesome memory you shared, thank you for that.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
week 1- (1 of 1)-10.jpg

BAH (Final Days...) taken at DHS on 12/22/2014.

For anyone that will miss the BAH, here is a shot I took a week ago as a remembrance for my family even though none of us will miss it and my wife & I are looking forward to its destruction.

I understand why this icon is important to many guests, especially those that have grown up with the hat being there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom