For those who will miss Sorceror Mickey's Hat from DHS

KDM31091

Has anyone heard what, if anything, is supposed to replace it? It would kind of suck if they replace it with much more than some benches and gardens or something. They're tearing down the hat and opening up the view of the Chinese theater again, but if they are building something else in the hat's place the openness will be short-lived. Disney hasn't exactly stated they are taking it down because they want to expose the theater and open up the area again, so I am kind of nervous they will just throw something equally garish and huge in place of the hat.

lazyboy97o

Has anyone heard what, if anything, is supposed to replace it? It would kind of suck if they replace it with much more than some benches and gardens or something. They're tearing down the hat and opening up the view of the Chinese theater again, but if they are building something else in the hat's place the openness will be short-lived. Disney hasn't exactly stated they are taking it down because they want to expose the theater and open up the area again, so I am kind of nervous they will just throw something equally garish and huge in place of the hat.
The ride's new sponsor would probably be quite displeased that their attraction is being again blocked from view.

LauraRose

I grew up with the hat being at DHS so I was a tad upset hearing it was going. After reading these forums for a while now I understand why people may want it gone. I personally don't mind, I don't even enjoy DHS however my dad LOVES it. Everytime we visit he always says 'there's the hat!'. I broke the news to him yesterday and he was sad. However don't think he'll be back at disney for a long long time, if ever at all.. Our last visit was our first in 5 years and he couldn't believe the difference of que's and believed we didn't get on nearly half the rides as we did previous years. Plus we went in June and my mum simply couldn't handle the heat so that didn't help anyone. ;)

FettFan

According to Ricky Brigante's Inside the Magic podcast for Jan 4, there is rumor of a new, smaller stage coming. Low profile enough so as not to block the view of the GMR.

Once again, that's currently just a rumor and is unconfirmed.

Sage of Time

According to Ricky Brigante's Inside the Magic podcast for Jan 4, there is rumor of a new, smaller stage coming. Low profile enough so as not to block the view of the GMR.

Once again, that's currently just a rumor and is unconfirmed.
Other reports say it might be retractable.

Sage of Time

A water storage tower sat on a metal frame with two huge ears stuck on the side - where is the connection to a theme park based upon movies ??
Or,
The iconic hat from the classic Disney movie Fantasia.

Satisfied ??
Not in the slightest. Water towers are symbols of Hollywood noir and classic movie lots. That being in a studios park makes so much more sense than a avant grade and oversize animated movie prop.

wsmith1978

I will miss it only because it's all that I know. My first trip was 2009, so I never saw what it looked like before. Since it's always been there, in my memories, I'll miss it for sentimental reasons. Although I will say I think it will look better without it :)

CAPTAIN HOOK

Not in the slightest.
Well you can't please all the people all the time
Water towers are symbols of Hollywood noir and classic movie lots.
Perhaps. They're also found across the New York (Manhattan for example) skyline and these have nothing to do with movie sets. They are a practical device for areas of low water pressure.
That being in a studios park makes so much more sense than a avant grade and oversize animated movie prop.
Movie Prop being the phrase. If the Earful Tower was so iconic why isn't it set in the middle of the park where all can see it as a focal point ? You know, a bit like a large oversized avant-garde animated prop ??

I refer you to Wikipedia -
"The Earful Tower, constructed in 1989, is the first of the two water towers, and was the original icon of Disney's Hollywood Studios (then-known as Disney-MGM Studios), along with the Chinese Theatre facade of The Great Movie Ride. The Sorcerer's Hat, which was completed on September 28, 2001 and has since served as the park's official icon until its removal in 2015. The Earful Tower is located in the park's backlot area, and could be observed by guests riding the Studio Backlot Tour. After the attraction's closing in 2014, the Earful Tower is no longer viewable, though it still remains".

Why have an icon if its no longer viewable ??

Vipor51

When the MGM contract ran up and was discontinued didn't they put up the hat to block the Chinese Theatre? Wasn't this in spite of the MGM contract not being renewed or MGM going bankrupt? Wasn't this the real reason the dumb HAT went up?

Sage of Time

When the MGM contract ran up and was discontinued didn't they put up the hat to block the Chinese Theatre? Wasn't this in spite of the MGM contract not being renewed or MGM going bankrupt? Wasn't this the real reason the dumb HAT went up?

Nope. Urban legend. Disney wanted a branding symbol for 100YOM, and hence, HAT.

Well you can't please all the people all the time

Perhaps. They're also found across the New York (Manhattan for example) skyline and these have nothing to do with movie sets. They are a practical device for areas of low water pressure.

Movie Prop being the phrase. If the Earful Tower was so iconic why isn't it set in the middle of the park where all can see it as a focal point ? You know, a bit like a large oversized avant-garde animated prop ??

I refer you to Wikipedia -
"The Earful Tower, constructed in 1989, is the first of the two water towers, and was the original icon of Disney's Hollywood Studios (then-known as Disney-MGM Studios), along with the Chinese Theatre facade of The Great Movie Ride. The Sorcerer's Hat, which was completed on September 28, 2001 and has since served as the park's official icon until its removal in 2015. The Earful Tower is located in the park's backlot area, and could be observed by guests riding the Studio Backlot Tour. After the attraction's closing in 2014, the Earful Tower is no longer viewable, though it still remains".

Why have an icon if its no longer viewable ??

Have you actually been to Manhattan and seen these? LOL. The water towers I would see every morning from my window in Chelsea look nothing like the studios iconography associated with Hollywood noir and moviemaking. They're ugly. The Hollywood ones are stylized a bit, at the VERY least. They became symbols and part of the Hollywood skyline.

The Earful Tower was placed where it would be the most realistic- in the backlot. And not visible?! Surely, you're joking. It's visible from the main entrance of both Walt Disney World AND the parking entrance. You see it as you come in.

And yes, it's a crying shame that the Backlot Tour is closed but that doesn't mean that Earful Tower is (or ever was) useless.

Oy, the lack of logic here is astounding. I understand that this is an opinionated matter, but the justifications for these opinions are ... disappointing, to say the least. I'd rather just have people admit they just prefer the hat because it was easy to like and 'DISNEY' rather than trying to justify it with half baked excuses.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Have you actually been to Manhattan and seen these? LOL.
Yes thanks

And not visible?! Surely, you're joking. It's visible from the main entrance of both Walt Disney World AND the parking entrance. You see it as you come in.
As a "Park Icon" why is it no longer viewable from within the park it represents ? I don't see you challenging the Wikipedia entry

And yes, it's a crying shame that the Backlot Tour is closed but that doesn't mean that Earful Tower is (or ever was) useless.
Who said it was useless ?

Oy, the lack of logic here is astounding. I understand that this is an opinionated matter, but the justifications for these opinions are ... disappointing, to say the least. I'd rather just have people admit they just prefer the hat because it was easy to like and 'DISNEY' rather than trying to justify it with half baked excuses.
Do you argue for a living, or is it just a hobby ?
Your posts within this thread are very self opinionated, bordering on being rude. If anyone dares to disagree with your point of view its like waving a red rag to a bull.

Sage of Time

Yes thanks

As a "Park Icon" why is it no longer viewable from within the park it represents ? I don't see you challenging the Wikipedia entry

Who said it was useless ?

Do you argue for a living, or is it just a hobby ?
Your posts within this thread are very self opinionated, bordering on being rude. If anyone dares to disagree with your point of view its like waving a red rag to a bull.

1) Then I literally have no idea why you would compare Hollywood water towers to NYC ones.

2) Wikipedia is wikipedia. My opinion doesn't match the wording of an unofficial encyclopedia. Granted, the Earful Tower could be in a better location and I would hope that it would be given more visibility in the future.

3) You implied it wasn't living up to its standard, and therefore, useless.

4) This is arguing? This is rude? I'm presenting a different opinion from yours and backing it up in a manner that I think is logical and strengthens my convictions. Any offense you are reading into this is not done on my behalf, but on your own. I'm sorry if you are construing my posts to read that way, but that is not the intent.
And yes, "self opinionated" posts are what message boards are made for. I could easily say the same thing about your posts, but I think that would detract from the overall message of what I am attempting to convey.

:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A water storage tower sat on a metal frame with two huge ears stuck on the side - where is the connection to a theme park based upon movies ??
Or,

Satisfied ??
The tower was a symbol of all Hollywood backlots in the early-ties.

They were for each studios private fire fighting unit when city water supplies weren't always reliable. Hence it was symbolic of Hollywood studios in the "hey day"

You could say a broomstick was as iconic as a hat for Fantasia.

As we've seen today though, it's irrelevant now.

Bing Bong

Or,

Satisfied ??
What does Fantasia have to do with a park that was about movie making and the Hollywood of yesteryear? You could put a giant version of an object from any iconic movie and it would do about the same thing. And it would still be ridiculous and not fit in with the rest of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom