For Non-Americans

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
I recall hearing Alistair Cooke say that after so many years in America, he just couldn't understand our love affair with peanut butter. All he could figure out is that you have to have grown up with it to appreciate it.

So--for you non-Americans (living abroad or in the States--or colonies, as happy snapper would have it)

Is there a common American food that you just don't understand?

What food just makes you ill to see/smell/think about?

castlecake2.0

FUNNEL CAKES, I just dont get it!?!?!?

Iced Tea, in Canada the iced tea is sweetened, in the states its just cold tea and tastes:hurl:

-Tyler:king:

orangefan15

Originally posted by castlecake2.0

Iced Tea, in Canada the iced tea is sweetened, in the states its just cold tea and tastes:hurl:

Huh? Lots of people down here drink sweetened ice tea....

Maria

Bagels... I never understood how you could eat such hard and dry bread.
Then I tried them with cream cheese and loved them! :lol: But I still can´t understand why.... they are so hard! :animwink:

....and I also fell for the peanut butter, but I already liked it, just didn´t eat it that much, I guess that I was having a "student" way of life and spreading things on breads was very easy "cooking"!

Also, I couldn´t understand about the melted butter to pour on the popcorn at the movies! Just to think about getting my hands all greasy with it made me sick! I love popcorn, but not with melted butter on top! Is it like that everywhere? I saw that in Orlando at AMC. :animwink:

dreamer

Originally posted by castlecake2.0

Lots of Americans don't get funnel cakes either.

If you buy tea in the South, you have to specify sweetened or Unsweetened. Default is heavily sweetened. The South has much better iced tea in general than the rest of the country. Even fast food restaurants in our area sell excellent, fresh-brewed. It's hard to generalize about the US, though. It varies so much from place to place.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Maria
Bagels... I never understood how you could eat such hard and dry bread.
Then I tried them with cream cheese and loved them! :lol: But I still can´t understand why.... they are so hard! :animwink:

....and I also fell for the peanut butter, but I already liked it, just didn´t eat it that much, I guess that I was having a "student" way of life and spreading things on breads was very easy "cooking"!

Also, I couldn´t understand about the melted butter to pour on the popcorn at the movies! Just to think about getting my hands all greasy with it made me sick! I love popcorn, but not with melted butter on top! Is it like that everywhere? I saw that in Orlando at AMC. :animwink:

I don't like butter in my popcorn either, but we do have it down here.
As for the PBJ thing, that's just disgusting. During the International CM, my roommates made a point of making me taste the thing, saying I couldn't say I'd been to America if I hadn't tasted it. Well, now I can, but I still don't like it! :lol:

(Quick drift: how are you, Maria? I was worried when I saw the Earthquake thing on the news, and then you disappeared for some time. Is everything ok? :wave: )

Nut4Disney

I love PB&J and Sweet Tea. By the way has anyone ever tasted Vegemite on anything. (Bluuckkk!!:hurl: ) My Australian friend eats it, and made me taste it once. I thought it was disgusting. She couldn't understand why I didn't like it. I also like Guiness, but my wife can't understand why, she thinks it tastes horrible. I guess it's an acquired taste.:lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I like peanut butter, especially crunchy style, but the prospect of combining it with jam, its enough to make you boak.

Ha just remembered one, root beer, tried it in a US Army cook house. It reminded me of the stuff I rubbed on my legs during rugby games in the depth of winter.:hurl:

As for "typical" US food its rotting the taste buds of the world, it must be all those adictive corporate adatives.

spinsurgeon

What about mixing huge quantities of savo(u)ry food; sausages (v. small), bacon (v. streaky), etc. with stuff like blue jelly (that's wobbly stuff rather than the stuff one spreads on bread or combines with peanut butter). I've seen people doing that but perhaps it's only put on for tourists?:lol:

CmdrTostada

Originally posted by happy snapper

Ha just remembered one, root beer, tried it in a US Army cook house. It reminded me of the stuff I rubbed on my legs during rugby games in the depth of winter.:hurl:

How can you not like root beer? I believe that root beer is the greatest soft drink ever invented.

MarknSue

Pretzels!! What are they all about? I don't know if they are American but I've only ever seen them in America. Those huge ones they sell in the parks are :hurl:

I do like peanut butter though - especially my new Discovery of Reeses Peanut butter cups :slurp:

Susie

Erika

Originally posted by MarknSue
Pretzels!! What are they all about? I don't know if they are American but I've only ever seen them in America. Those huge ones they sell in the parks are :hurl:

Those are actually a Eurpoean thing- I love them :slurp: Auntie Anne's has the best but I don't know if they have those down in FL.

WDWspider

Some American rebuttal:

Root Beer can be excellent... every brand name varies (and may very quite a bit)... I suggest trying a couple different brands before you shrug it off.

Melted Butter on Popcorn is at every Movie Theatre in the states Maria. I assumed it was that way everywhere. :lol: For some, you can't order Popcorn without it. Some of the more recent Cinaplexes have Self Serve Butter so you can come back and "resoak" after you have eaten your way down in the box or bag. :slurp:

Funnel Cake... I really, really, really think it's the toppings that make a great funnel cake. Who doesn't love Strawberries, Powdered Sugar, or Chocolate. It's a similar premise behind the Crepe I think.

Peanut Butter and Jelly is gross huh? Basically here in America that is one of the staple foods of kids... either pizza, hot dogs, Macaroni and Cheese, or a PB & J sandwich. You know how picky kids are, so if they eat it and love it, then... what the heck is wrong with all of you. :lol: :p

DisJosh

Whats wrong with you people?! You can't have peanut butter without jelly or fluff!!

And you don't like root beer?! God you people are crazy. :p

You want to talk about nasty topings on pop corn? I heard french people put sugar on pop corn. I tried it...it was disgusting. I'll stick to butter and salt. :D

And pretzels....jebus, how can you not like pretzels?! All you non Americans are nuts....that's all there is to it. None of you know what you're talking about! :p ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom