For Non-Americans

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
Let's be nice here.

After "Survivor" and the gross out of "Fear Factor", where people eat foods that Americans normally don't, (cow blood, fermented fish, innards, insects) I was interested in what Americans eat that non-Americans find disgusting or just don't understand.

Peanut butter didn't surprise me, because it has a strong distinctive smell, and to some people could seem excessively oily/greasy.

Butter on popcorn did surprise me a little--but only because I never really thought of it an an American thing. Also--the stuff in the theaters isn't even close to real butter from a cow--it's flavored vegetable oil.

I don't want this to veer off into "ugly American" territory. (That is when Americans, typically tourists in another country, get nasty over local habits/customs. "Whaddya mean I can't get French Fries -- ain't we here in FRANCE??" This attitude also includes insulting local food--"What is this slop? I wouldn't feed that to my dog!")

My point was, that we may think Vegemite is nasty, and wouldn't think of drinking cow blood, but there are also some American "delicacies" that other folks find weird/disgusting.

That's what I was going for--not an insult-festival.

Thanks. I feel better. Off for some buttered popcorn and root beer :lol:

Remember--someone out there really LIKES Beverly..........

WDWspider

Originally posted by WooGuin
They look lovely but what are they made of?

funnels. :lol: j/k

It is a sweet batter (like Cake mix sweet) that is poured through a funnel (giving it that look) and then fried. I really can't be more specific, cause that is my extent of knowledge on the things. :) That page I posted should have lots and lots of details on them though. They are the self-proclaimed World's Best Funnel Cake makers. (I have eaten there btw):slurp:

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
I would say that a funnel cake is a lot like a cake (as opposed to yeast) donut.

And who knew that there was a funnel cake website?? I AM impressed!!

Personally, I can take them or leave them, but I have relatives who absolutely must have one whenever they see them.

They are typically served at county fairs, street carnivals, etc. It's not something you would find in a restaurant, for example.

tenchu

Originally posted by MarknSue
Pretzels!! What are they all about? I don't know if they are American but I've only ever seen them in America. Those huge ones they sell in the parks are :hurl:

I do like peanut butter though - especially my new Discovery of Reeses Peanut butter cups :slurp:

Susie

Pretzels can't be all bad.

One almost got rid of Dubya after all!

:lol:

Maria

Where do I start?....

PopCorn! lol- For those who eat popcorn with melted butter, here in Mexico we have the hot sauce dispensers! :D That´s the only thing that would make me get my popcorn wet, only if it´s hot sauce that even makes me cry while I´m eating it! :lol: We have butter flavored popcorn though and I like them better than plain ones. Caramel popcorn is great too, so one bucket of hot popcorn followed by another of caramel popcorn as a "dessert" :slurp:

Funnel Cakes - I like them, but after working for all the summer next to the funnel cake stand in Epcot, I couldn´t stand the smell! :( They are like our "churros", sold in fairs, not in restaurants. Btw, the ones in the mexican pavillion are too dry... hehe)

PB&J sandwiches - :slurp: :slurp: We eat them here too! Shame they are too fattening!

Pretzels - the big soft ones are german, aren´t they? I love them! However, the snack size hard ones are the ones that I only understood after a few months eating them. They are too dry for my taste, but I got used to them and like them now. I just make sure I have something to drink with them! ;)

WDWspider

Originally posted by Maria
However, the snack size hard ones are the ones that I only understood after a few months eating them. They are too dry for my taste, but I got used to them and like them now. I just make sure I have something to drink with them! ;)

That's why so many bars have them available for free.

WDWFREAK53

Maria...you're forgetting something else :lol:

Canned Cranberry Jelly :lol:

Peeps...if you've never seen it...picture this...

Open up a can of dog food and let it slide out of the can...you look at it and say...how can a dog eat this???

Well, same thing...you open the can...and this gelatinous cranberry colored cylinder slides out of the can... :slurp: (you actually slice it :lol: )

Maria

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
Maria...you're forgetting something else :lol:

Canned Cranberry Jelly :lol:

Peeps...if you've never seen it...picture this...

Open up a can of dog food and let it slide out of the can...you look at it and say...how can a dog eat this???

Well, same thing...you open the can...and this gelatinous cranberry colored cylinder slides out of the can... :slurp: (you actually slice it :lol: )

Oooohhh yeah!! :lol:
You explained it so well!! :lol: You should have seen my face wen I saw it for the frist time! Then it was on my plate right next to my turkey and my mashed potatoes! :lookaroun Turned out that I loved it but when I got here and told everybody, they gave me weird faces... they don´t know what they are missing! lol

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by spider-man
That page I posted should have lots and lots of details on them though.

:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

<-----------Is VERY frightened that SPIDERMAN had those funnel cake websites that handy!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Theres nothing wrong with a good old portion of minced sheeps liver and kidneys mixed with oat meal and cooked in a sheeps stomach sack.MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm beautiful.

WDWspider

Originally posted by happy snapper
Theres nothing wrong with a good old portion of minced sheeps liver and kidneys mixed with oat meal and cooked in a sheeps stomach sack.MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm beautiful.

Haggas ???

Sounds like a medieval witches brew to me. :lol:

I'll just stick to my good ole American Chitlins.:hurl:

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by spider-man
Haggas ???

Sounds like a medieval witches brew to me. :lol:

I'll just stick to my good ole American Chitlins.:hurl:

I wonder what this red blooded...I mean...red necked American eats :lol: (I bet it's weirder than ANYTHING you guys have said so far :) )

Attachments

• redneck1.jpg
    redneck1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 29

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
hmmm.. I didn't grow up entirely in the US, so my taste buds aren't tuned to american tastes too well (don't get me wrong... I love Funnel Cakes, Root Beer, and Ranch Dressing... all of which I discovered at the age of 12). To this day I can't stand Peanut Butter, Bagels (well.. if they're SOFT and plain, I can deal with them), and most soul food (love me some fried chicken though).

I still can't stand most american beers though... if I have to drink American, it's either Sam Adams (the darker, the better!) or Icehouse (strangely enough, I love that stuff). Otherwise, I'm happy with Guinness.

As for Root Beer, it took me FOREVER to acquire a taste for it

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by mktiggerman
hmmm.. I didn't grow up entirely in the US, so my taste buds aren't tuned to american tastes too well (don't get me wrong... I love Funnel Cakes, Root Beer, and Ranch Dressing... all of which I discovered at the age of 12). To this day I can't stand Peanut Butter, Bagels (well.. if they're SOFT and plain, I can deal with them), and most soul food (love me some fried chicken though).

I still can't stand most american beers though... if I have to drink American, it's either Sam Adams (the darker, the better!) or Icehouse (strangely enough, I love that stuff). Otherwise, I'm happy with Guinness.

As for Root Beer, it took me FOREVER to acquire a taste for it

WOOHOOO!!!! Sam Adams!!! :sohappy: (ok, so I'm NOT a big alcohol drinker...but Sam is my AMERICAN beer of choice too)

Maria

Root beer tastes like flouride... the stuff the dentists give you. We have root beer here too, but I don´t drink it either. With the years, I have come to like darker beers better, like Rob. (not that I drink that much, eh?)

mousecar

I'm not ashamed to admit that I will eat peanut butter on a toasted bagel. I like root beer and need extra, extra butter when I go to the theater.

I am ashamed to admit that I like vienna sausages, spam and potted meat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom