Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The rock concert was too loud! I literally bled from my ears! Rock concerts shouldn't exceed MY comfortable listening pleasure!"
Are you saying that nothing needs to be done about the drunks and their abhorrent behavior at F&W? Disney's goal should be to keep F&W from becoming the locals' Oktoberfest and you do this by pricing the locals out of the market by requiring either an AP or a minimum 3-day pass.

The Incredible Schmulk

Are you saying that nothing needs to be done about the drunks and their abhorrent behavior at F&W? Disney's goal should be to keep F&W from becoming the locals' Oktoberfest and you do this by pricing the locals out of the market by requiring either an AP or a minimum 3-day pass.

LO-freaking-L.

Tonka's Skipper

And, I thought I was the only one who used "debauchery" to describe the antics at F&W. This is a great mini-trip report and I just can't believe the locals are not able to find somewhere else to get smashed. They need to show more respect towards us vacationers who make up about 3/4 of their economy.

http://www.monorailmedia.com/week-three-epcot-food-wine-festival/

Saturday, October 12 |

Week Three kicks off with the usual weekend crowds at Food + Wine. There is a drunk social gradient going on– things start with large groups, families and cute matching couples all jubilantly gathering in inconvenient clusters from Spaceship Earth to World Showcase. Slowly the few amateurs in those groups peak their boisterous bobble heads up from the crowd, yelling and looking like the life of the party. Two hours later, they are in the bushes behind the UK Pavilion taking a siesta.

“Yes. That man is sleeping darling. Come over here” (pulling child away). Everyone else seems okay, imbibing but still in control, for the next few hours at least. Then the parade starts — the ladies toppling in heels with beers, cocktails, wine and lumbering man-childs in frat mode. Criers, fighters and public displays of amorous affection have arrived. At last, the dramatic shift from festively snookered (my term– trademark) to reworded German drinking songs, long awkward hugs between strangers and full on bar debauchery ensues. It looks like some folks finally bought all the kooky hats you see for sale in each pavilion. You know, the regular vacation crowd just try them on, take a picture, post it on Facebook, slap a hashtag #Epcot #Mexico on it and put it back. Nope– not this crowd. Sombrero and Viking helmets abound! They bought the dream!

Exit Scene: Our crew heads to International Gateway, leaving for Hollywood Studios via the charming European style river boat named, “Friendship” boats. Touring Plans predicted a lower crowd level at Hollywood Studios and was correct. This proved to be the best option for our multi-generational group, who quickly tired of the mob scene in Epcot. We stayed there a few hours and escaped the madness. At 6:30pm we walked back to Epcot along the path from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk and avoided the queue for the return ferry back to the Epcot Resort area.

Upon returning to Epcot, nearing 7pm, the wheels are starting to come off and you smile a bit because the revelers are still a friendly bunch and cooing at my child’s crazy cute little bee costume. A sweet, but definite sign to head out before the group of early twenty something’s in matching “Epcot Drinking Team 2013″ tees spill margarita on my kid. Sometimes there is a changing of the guard where the day drinkers depart and the nighttime crowds take over, fresh and still with it– but not today. My better half, stayed until 10:30pm and reported debauchery and further antics in those few hours after I left with my daughter. Fine for adults, not so much for little eyes and ears.

This, without question!

The drunks in F and W have been steadily increasing and get to be more and more of a problem.

My wife and I was there in 2012 and found it no longer a fun adult evening. As you noted the 20 something's and in some cases the older adults were pathetic in they manners and conduct. Weaving and loud sometimes yelling at each other and other far way, not the mention the cussing with every 2nd and 3th work.

Thanks you your post, right on the mark.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

Stop with this what would Walt think it's getting a little annoying. These are far different times and a different world not that I'm supporting public drunks but some people on here need to stop going out and looking for trouble or negatives in EVERYTHING!

Frankly if you knew anything about Walt, we would not be having this conversation because Walt would never have let this get to this piont.

One is his prime reasons for DL was to have a family park, to keep out the drunks and rude and nasty behavior that some drunks exhibit.

AKK

Last edited:

Hmac

"The rock concert was too loud! I literally bled from my ears! Rock concerts shouldn't exceed MY comfortable listening pleasure!"
It has more to do with expectations and venue I think. WDW was and is designed to be a family-friendly place. From my perspective, F&W has evolved into something closely akin to an outdoor bar...except with a bar (or concert as mentioned) you have an age limit and certain expectations of what you might see/hear, etc. I drink, I go out with my husband and our friends...but I wouldn't take my kids with me to a bar even if I was permitted to. When we're at Disney, I'd like to think I can take them with me to Epcot (predominantly a place of learning and discovery in theory?) to try things they never have and enjoy the festive atmosphere - without the overserved giving them impromptu anatomy lessons, vocabulary expansion, or fending people off from toppling onto them. I don't know that Disney can do anything (they simply aren't set up to be bartenders/bouncers) and don't think keeping the locals out is appropriate either (they have every right to be there too)...would just like to see people realize they can have fun without it becoming bacchanalia.

KB LUVS MGM

I was there on the last day of the F&W. Saw a few people that didn't know how to handle their alcohol. It really bothers me and this isn't necissarily alcohol induced, but the dropping of the F-bomb. Really, you are in the most family oriented place and you can't have a conversation without sounding like the procerbial drunken sailor??

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Frankly is if you knew anything about Walt, we would not be having this conversation. because Walt would never have let this get to this pint point.

One is of his prime reasons for building DL was to have a family park, without the drunks and rude and nasty behavior that some drunks do. Do what???

AKK What is AKK?

Bait taken...

First I tried to make some corrections to your original post to make it a bit more legible.

Second, did you know Walt personally?

Third, the men who designed E.P.C.O.T. were men who worked alongside Walt. They designed and built a park in a way they thought he would be proud of. And al-key-haul was served from day one. I trust their judgement more then I trust some internet teetotaler.

Cesar R M

Bait taken...

First I tried to make some corrections to your original post to make it a bit more legible.

Third, the men who designed E.P.C.O.T. were men who worked alongside Walt. They designed and built a park in a way they thought he would be proud of. And al-key-haul was served from day one. I trust their judgement more then I trust some internet teetotaler.
I dont think the problem is in how the park was created.. but how the "next guys" converted it into a public bar.
thanks god I went into one of the low attendance days and Didnt see all the nastyness you guys mention in this thread.

Uncle Remus

I dont think the problem is in how the park was created.. but how the "next guys" converted it into a public bar.
thanks god I went into one of the low attendance days and Didnt see all the nastyness you guys mention in this thread.

During F&W we go twice a month. Have been for years. Always on the weekends. Not once have I seen or have personally known someone who has seen the supposed attrocities on this thread

Tonka's Skipper

Bait taken...

My pardon on the typing , my computer froze up before I finished with the post.

I don't need to have known Walt...read a bit about the man and why he built what he did.

The men that built EPCOT were not around when the present management started W and F and let it degenerate to the low point it has gone too. There is a big difference between anyone having a few drinks, which I enjoy myself and the problem drunks that are in F and w these days.

AKK

acishere

Its already expensive enough. If $90 tickets and $14 for a drink isn't going to price the people YOU think are the problem, I think they have decided it is an event worth splurging large amounts of cash on.

Also if you think its just locals, you do not know the tourist's mindset a lot of people have. Just like it's your vacation and you think everything should be the way you want it. There are plenty of drink loving tourists who think because they are on vacation, they have the right to get sloshed beyond control. Just like a lot of tourists think having kids give them priority at MK and proceed to push, shove, and use their stroller as a battering ram through the crowds. They are on vacation and they are the only important people in the park.

Uncle Remus

It has more to do with expectations and venue I think. WDW was and is designed to be a family-friendly place. From my perspective, F&W has evolved into something closely akin to an outdoor bar...except with a bar (or concert as mentioned) you have an age limit and certain expectations of what you might see/hear, etc. I drink, I go out with my husband and our friends...but I wouldn't take my kids with me to a bar even if I was permitted to. When we're at Disney, I'd like to think I can take them with me to Epcot (predominantly a place of learning and discovery in theory?) to try things they never have and enjoy the festive atmosphere - without the overserved giving them impromptu anatomy lessons, vocabulary expansion, or fending people off from toppling onto them. I don't know that Disney can do anything (they simply aren't set up to be bartenders/bouncers) and don't think keeping the locals out is appropriate either (they have every right to be there too)...would just like to see people realize they can have fun without it becoming bacchanalia.

Im a family man. I have four kids ranging from 5-12. Ive never had an issue at F&W. When its just the wife and I we drink. When its all 6 of us we dont. We dont take them into the Rose and Crown. They love trying different foods and enjoy the festival. Should kids not attend sporting events? Tons of obnoxious rude drunks at those. My family has bonded over sports for generations. My best and most wholesome childhood memories are tailgating at college football games

Its all in what you make of it. I've heard more F bombs at the Magic Kingdom over parade jockying and cutting in lines than I've ever heard at Epcot. I've seen more innapropriate behavior in movie theaters than at Epcot. There is no "problem". Like many "issues" this one is so overblown its not even funny. Society as a whole needs to quit looking to be offended and quit creating something out of nothing. It just leads to more coddling and weaker thin skinned people.

Hey, how about that! When I stand on my soapbox I'm almost as tall as the people on their high horses! I better get down before I fall down on someone!

Hmac

During F&W we go twice a month. Have been for years. Always on the weekends. Not once have I seen or have personally known someone who has seen the supposed attrocities on this thread
Time of day made a big difference for us - not sure when you go. I'd also say this is perspective - you tend to notice things you wouldn't otherwise when you have younger kids in tow. We were at F&W/Epcot 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, and 10/18. It didn't really ramp up until after 7 or so on Saturday and Wednesday. And to be fair, Sunday was pretty tame/nice. We left immediately after dinner on Friday to avoid the possibility.

Tonka's Skipper

Well put Sir!

I agree we have been there during the week days and evenings and never a real problem. It appears on the Friday and Saturday nights, I one saw a guy fall over the low fencing around the lake and land face first in the bushes, took me and 2 other guys to get him back on the walkway and onto a bench, which he slipped off of when the security men got there and took him out.

Another Friday night a guy throw up on the lady sitting at the end of the bench we were on.

As I said before, anyone is entitled to have a drink or few as long as they can control their conduct, it's the rude , noisy and falling down drunks that are the issue.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

Im a family man. I have four kids ranging from 5-12. Ive never had an issue at F&W. When its just the wife and I we drink. When its all 6 of us we dont. We dont take them into the Rose and Crown. They love trying different foods and enjoy the festival. Should kids not attend sporting events? Tons of obnoxious rude drunks at those. My family has bonded over sports for generations. My best and most wholesome childhood memories are tailgating at college football games

Its all in what you make of it. I've heard more F bombs at the Magic Kingdom over parade jockying and cutting in lines than I've ever heard at Epcot. I've seen more innapropriate behavior in movie theaters than at Epcot. There is no "problem". Like many "issues" this one is so overblown its not even funny. Society as a whole needs to quit looking to be offended and quit creating something out of nothing. It just leads to more coddling and weaker thin skinned people.

Hey, how about that! When I stand on my soapbox I'm almost as tall as the people on their high horses! I better get down before I fall down on someone!

This, sadly is very true as well!

AKK

Uncle Remus

Time of day made a big difference for us - not sure when you go. I'd also say this is perspective - you tend to notice things you wouldn't otherwise when you have younger kids in tow. We were at F&W/Epcot 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, and 10/18. It didn't really ramp up until after 7 or so on Saturday and Wednesday. And to be fair, Sunday was pretty tame/nice. We left immediately after dinner on Friday to avoid the possibility.

Theres truth in this. We stay later when we have no kids.

This brings up a great point though. Glad you brought it up. There are options. People who say you cant take your kids are wrong. Just take them earlier in the day if you fear the worse. My town has great dining downtown. Its a good family atmosphere. Once 8pm rolls around though it isnt a place for kids. It doesnt mean that they should change the downtown area to suit only one demographic. There's room for both

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
All I know is that I tend to pass out near seating area for Off Kilter and in the darkness if I can maintain awareness for just long enough to roll underneath one row of theatre seats that I'll wake up the next morning and be the first in line for 3 Caballeros, totally beating the rush.

ParentsOf4

Since you decided to bring up the men who designed EPCOT, please be aware that alcohol originally was available only at the restaurants to be served with meals.

It's only later that those under Eisner decided that a great deal of cash was being left on the table and they decided to add the multiple carts throughout the World Showcase serving alcohol.

It's not a matter of being a teetotaler, it's a matter of Epcot being first and foremost a Disney theme park designed for families.

As soon as Disney makes the Food & Wine Festival a hard-ticket event with a 21 age limit, I'll be all for treating the World Showcase as a bar.

Until then, I'd prefer to treat it as a Disney theme park.

Cesar R M

All I know is that I tend to pass out near seating area for Off Kilter and in the darkness if I can maintain awareness for just long enough to roll underneath one row of theatre seats that I'll wake up the next morning and be the first in line for 3 Caballeros, totally beating the rush.
George, you're a riot today! XD
well played! HA HA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom