Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
It's not a matter of being a teetotaler, it's a matter of Epcot being first and foremost a Disney theme park designed for families.

This is just my opinion, but I do not think that the World Showcase was ever designed for families. This portion of Epcot was designed with adults as the main group from day one. I know my kids only went there when we dragged them to dinner.

ParentsOf4

This is just my opinion, but I do not think that the World Showcase was ever designed for families. This portion of Epcot was designed with adults as the main group from day one. I know my kids only went there when we dragged them to dinner.
I can't speak for others but when our 4 were young, they loved the World Showcase. :)

Dubman

I agree, but also disagree with this to some extent.. They have had Kidcot(think its called that) where kiddos go to each country with their stick man and have there name written on it in all the different languages etc.. They also have the Norway Princess restaurant which seems to be very popular with families. We were there for the last weekend of the Festival and besides some f-bombs flying rampant in the Rose & Crown Bar area, did not see anything I would call drunk and disorderly..

ParentsOf4

My kids did too - We used to spend at least one full day at WS and one full day at FW, then a 3rd halfday to do anything we missed.
During week-long trips, we'd spend at least 2 evenings in the World Showcase. The kids enjoyed the Kidcot stops, Kim Possible missions, street performers, shopping, and food. A couple of the movies were pretty good too.

The World Showcase really can be a lot of fun for little ones.

acishere

I agree, but also disagree with this to some extent.. They have had Kidcot(think its called that) where kiddos go to each country with their stick man and have there name written on it in all the different languages etc.. They also have the Norway Princess restaurant which seems to be very popular with families. We were there for the last weekend of the Festival and besides some f-bombs flying rampant in the Rose & Crown Bar area, did not see anything I would call drunk and disorderly..
The Kidcot and princess buffet however are additions within the last decade or so. My childhood memories of WS consist mainly of Maelstrom and pretty much getting dragged around as my parents and their friends sampled some wine and poked around shops. If those stations were there from the start I probably would have had happier childhood memories of WS.

Also the cursing in the R&C is just part of the UK experience. ;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Solution: Every adult beverage = one hand stamp. Three or four stamps and you're done without serious scrubbing. Wait. I'm being too old school. The magic band could easily be modified to detect blood alcohol level. If you're over some limit set by Disney, then it will transmit a weak electrical signal that will cause your brain to shut down inducing a temporary coma. Then, the world showcase cleanup crew can remove your prone body.

Side note - you know Disney is rooting for legalized marijuana. You could sell a ton at both the Mexico and U.S. pavilions. Laid back easy to manage crowds and lowered food inhibitions. No one purposefully tokes more than is necessary, but the sales of over priced food would be unbelievable. Food, wine, and Mary Jane might go on all year.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Solution: Every adult beverage = one hand stamp. Three or four stamps and you're done without serious scrubbing. Wait. I'm being too old school. The magic band could easily be modified to detect blood alcohol level. If you're over some limit set by Disney, then it will transmit a weak electrical signal that will cause your brain to shut down inducing a temporary coma. Then, the world showcase cleanup crew can remove your prone body.

I have located a flaw in your otherwise solid plan.

We all know TDO's maintenance standards have gone WAY down. Who's to say they would clean up the comatose? Soon we would just have smelly comatose drunks scattered all about the WS. Though, according to this thread, that's what's happening anyway....

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
The behavior of the people, and the fact that it's endorsed and encouraged by Disney is what is relevant here not where said people live. This "debate" about locals vs tourists is watering down the conversation and has been beaten to death at this point. I'll leave this thread open for now in hopes that it can be brought back on track.

The only way to have any kind of impact is to stop going and to write to guest relations with specific examples of problems. If enough people feel this is an issue and stop spending money at Epcot during food and wine maybe someone will notice.

I think the simplest solution and the one that's worked for us during past visits is to avoid Epcot on the weekends and evenings during food and wine.

Cesar R M

I have located a flaw in your otherwise solid plan.

We all know TDO's maintenance standards have gone WAY down. Who's to say they would clean up the comatose? Soon we would just have smelly comatose drunks scattered all about the WS. Though, according to this thread, that's what's happening anyway....
just throw in a good bulldozer and pull the comatose guys into a pile.
then you have another attraction in Mexico or USA... "biggest drunken pyramid"

VoiceGuy07

Our family has always enjoyed the Food & Wine Festival. We love the variety of food offerings and it's a place where our kids get to try new things. Our kids now love lamb chops, beef rolls, empanadas, sushi, and a range of other great stuff - thanks in part to the F&W. We hang out at the festival during weekdays, during the day and it's fantastic. We don't do weekends or evenings 'cause that's when the hard core folks come out.

Not a big deal. Easy to work around. Still worth the visit with family. And the special events ROCK!

Cesar R M

Side note - you know Disney is rooting for legalized marijuana. You could sell a ton at both the Mexico and U.S. pavilions. Laid back easy to manage crowds and lowered food inhibitions. No one purposefully tokes more than is necessary, but the sales of over priced food would be unbelievable. Food, wine, and Mary Jane might go on all year.

they should stamp the heads once they get past 5 ;)

the "drunk stamp of shame"

Brickcity Pauly

I tend to do Disney during March or April, so we usually get to see the F&G Festival instead of F&W. I haven't ever seen this behvaior during the F&G.

Typically around World Showcase, there's always people drinking. And I don't have a problem with that so long as it's controlled (which it always seems to be). It's just not my cup of tea when I'm with my 12 year old daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom