Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowInc

Its typically always the case. Its the worst around 8pm. By then most have had a full day of drinking behind them and are trying to get in the last rounds before the park closes.

Wikkler

Original Poster
Friends were at Epcot last night (Saturday, October 12) for Food & Wine Festival (F&WF). They are WDW rookies and I warned them to stay away from Epcot on the weekends. Not believing me ("It's Disney. How bad can it be?" was the quote), they went anyway.

They have two small children and were staying at the Beach Club. After spending the morning at the Magic Kingdom, they went back to their resort to relax at Stormalong Bay and thought it would be fun to stroll over to the World Showcase (WS) for a "relaxing evening in the countries".

It was a disaster.

Beyond the sheer masses making it extremely difficult to maneuver, their daughters (ages 3 and 5) were trampled several times by adults that were too drunk to walk straight. They aroma of stale beer and putrid food reminded them of their worst days in college. The free use of profanity was overwhelming.

To their credit, CMs were trying to control the crowds but were largely ignored (or worse) by intoxicated adults, several who seemed to ready to fight over the slightest suggestion to tone it down.

They were so turned off by the "experience" (I wonder if Disney will start issuing FP+ for the new "Get drunk and assaulted" experience at Epcot :banghead:) they just had to call me this morning. Their daughters left in tears. Right now, they never want to bring their children back to WDW.

If Disney was serious about providing family entertainment (you know, the group they target in all their advertising campaigns) they'd get rid of the "wine" portion of F&WF. Especially on weekends, it has deteriorated into such a drunkfest that it's actually dangerous.

Of course, making Epcot spirits-free on weekends would hurt revenue and, as we've come to expect from the current corporate Disney regime, it's always money first. :greedy:

Shame on you Disney, just shame on you.
That's so disappointing to hear, @ParentsOf4. That's not the impression a child should get from WDW. Ever.
IMO, the F&W Festival has run it's course. I went to the first one, and a few later ones, but haven't been back in about 5 years. The first few were delightful - a chance to sample wines and small portions of food.

I also went to Epcot the first year it opened. You were only able to purchase alcohol when ordering food, or at QS restaurants. IMO (and only mine) drunkenness became a problem when drink kiosks started popping up all over the place (which also added to the congestion) - along with all of the kiosks for merchandise. The walkways are getting smaller and smaller, while the crowd is getting larger, with more alcohol being consumed. A recipe for disaster.

I would never want alcohol to be excluded from Epcot - a nice adult beverages should be available. But perhaps having it as a focus should be discontinued since more and more people don't know how to behave.
Good solution, IMO. Having a beer or wine in Epcot is part of the fun. But abandoning the "drinking festival" aspect would curb much of the public shenanigans. Not all, but much. Hard call, because I'm sure it's a huge
revenue generator for Epcot.

It seems they've made their own bed with this, by choosing to drive new traffic to Epcot through alcoholic
beverage sales, rather than cutting edge new future world attractions and new countries to visit.
It will be hard for them to veer from this course without some short term revenue sacrifice, and
we all know how well that will go over in the hallowed halls of TDO.
I do think that the increased crowding, plus the added availability of alcohol has made the behavior worse. People tend to get testy when they are crowded together for long periods of time.

Way back when, when the crowds at MK would get to us, we would hop the monorail over to Epcot where we had breathing room, even around WS. Not anymore. Too much "clutter" all over the place. Just my opinion.
I went to Food and Wine for the first time last fall. Thankfully, since it was during my CP, I was able to enjoy the food samples over and extended amount of time. But no matter when I went, during the week on on the weekends, it was chaos, stressful, and I always left feeling like I had beer/wine spilled all over me. It definitely ruined the experience for me. Even my then partner, who enjoys wine tastings etc was not impressed with the atmosphere.

People are just jerks and you can't find an adequate place to escape them while in World Showcase because they are laying all over the place. I enjoyed the Flower & Garden Festival much better, but I fear soon enough that will become a drunken cluster, just like F&W has become.
The complete conversation about this topic from Spirited News IV

Wikkler

Original Poster
You raise a great point here....

Most everyone knows that I'm on my second stint here in Florida. My last F&W was in 2006 before last year. Six years and a night and day difference.

The crowds are larger, rowdier, drunker. There are booths on top of one another. As Jason said, its a NYE level crowd around the showcase. Its RIDICULOUS. As a local, I only go during the middle of the week.

It shouldnt be this way....
If Disney just had a place that would provide world class entertainment for adults all year round things might be different at F&W? Someone should come up with a concept for it - they could even give it a fancy name, like maybe "Pleasure Island"...

Glasgow

This is so sad to me, that the public always needs to be regulated in some way or another for almost everything. I've always wanted to go to F&W but all of these related threads don't bode well for us. Here's to hoping that the conditions can be improved and we all get to enjoy this event in the spirit in which it was originally intended.

Foolish Mortal

This is so sad to me, that the public always needs to be regulated in some way or another for almost everything. I've always wanted to go to F&W but all of these related threads don't bode well for us. Here's to hoping that the conditions can be improved and we all get to enjoy this event in the spirit in which it was originally intended.

Go early during the week. Judge the crowd to decide how long you stay.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Food and booze + stupid guests + sun stroked tourists = such a mess

We avoid it like the plague now. Loud, rude, obnoxious, dirty, low standards.... that could be the event and some of the hoardes it attracts. Its a travesty they allow one of the most beautiful parts of park ever built become home to this. Cluttered stalls, ugly prefab buildings, narrow crowded walkways! even more restricted RoE viewing areas.... it's hell. So much for the culture of a Chinese Circlevision film to walk out into the zoo of showcase during pub crawl time. I realise there are those who can enjoy responsibly, but they seem in the minority. Or it's the other minority that are partly to blame for ruining it for everyone else.

But here's the crunch. It makes $$$ so it'll be milked for all its worth. Shame on park management. Shame on TDO. They used to have an island for doing this.

Last edited:

janoimagine

Considering Erin Youngs chose fit to include the "success of Food and Wine" in her pre written ramblings at Epcots 30th shows exactly where the problem lies and to hell with the park.

My wife and I love F&W mid-October. I get what people are saying on here that they don't like the behavior of people who attend. To me that is not Disney's fault, it's the fault of the who can't stop and has to take it to the extreme of being so intoxicated they are no longer able to stand, this isn't limited to F&W .. I also saw this numerous times this year at the F&G festival. Disney needs to better police the festival's and stop overserving people, they have the manpower and ability to do so.

The other issue is the cost ... yes, it's way overpriced. To charge $5 for a taster of Lindelmans (even though it is a decent Chardonay) that I can get a whole bottle for at my local grocery store for $7 is insane, that being said they need to invest some of what are clearly record profits from the festival back into show upgrades and new attractions for what is turning into a rapidly declining experience for one of its flagship parks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My wife ..

The other issue is the cost ... yes, it's way overpriced. To charge $5 for a taster of Lindelmans (even though it is a decent Chardonay) that I can get a whole bottle for at my local grocery store for $7 is insane, that being said they need to invest some of what are clearly record profits from the festival back into show upgrades and new attractions for what is turning into a rapidly declining experience for one of its flagship parks.
You certainly cannot do that and maintain your profit margins AND still keep your yearly incentive bonus.

Clamman73

Considering Erin Youngs chose fit to include the "success of Food and Wine" in her pre written ramblings at Epcots 30th shows exactly where the problem lies and to hell with the park.

I was wondering where the push came from to have it go all the way into second week of November. Can they just give people a break who just want to wander around Showcase in a peaceful manner. There's still alcoholic choices without the booths. Shut down F&W Oct. 30th.

alissafalco

Oh no, I'm getting really bummed by reading all this! I will be there this Thursday -Sunday for the first time. Well, if it's that bad this will also be my last time too.

MattC

I don't understand how everyone is getting so drunk with WDW drink prices what they are.:greedy: I thought our economy was still in the tank. Maybe F&W should become a hard ticket event on week-ends to control the crowds.

People will still spend money on things like alcohol even if they can't afford them. Really sad actually. Equally sad are the folks who feel like drinking=good time and fun cannot be had unless alcohol is involved. I like adult beverages, but don't need them to have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom