Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Lupe

I dont know....everyone that talked to us absolutely loved our shirts and wanted one:
943134_839116886382_952789194_n.jpg

I tried to read your shirt but got distracted a few times.

btk2333

Haven't read the whole thread- loved F&W when there for W&D this weekend- will definitely be going back- love seeing people drinking around the world- they're generally so friendly and good to talk to in line

polynesiangirl

This thread is interesting. I haven't been to F&W in several years, so I cannot comment on the crowds these days (my relatives were just there, though, and said it was fun -- and my MIL has less tolerance for drunk people than just about anyone I know, so I am guessing they went during the week.)

(Somewhat off-topic...)

That said, I was just thinking -- in all my years of going to WDW, I don't think I've ever seen someone visibly intoxicated! I'm not sure how I've managed that. Granted I have seen TONS of crazy parents raging/ about stuff to each other, their kids, or CMs (oh how I loathe idiots who berate the CMs for some imaginary slight,) but they have just been run of the mill a-holes; they didn't appear to be under the influence. (Last time I actually had to reprimand another guest about sitting down on a moving ride because they had repeatedly disregarded the CM telling them to do so over the PA. The guy was not drunk, just an idiot who wanted to try and get off the ride faster because the BABY he was holding was crying. Yeah. Yikes.)

Somewhat off-topic rant over. :)

jaklgreen

I don't think that Disney should stop serving drinks at the F&WF. They should have more security walking around because unfortunately, a lot of adults do not know how to behave. It is sad that these people feel the need to get so falling down drunk to "have a good time". Is that Disney's fault? NO. I am actually shocked how much money people spend on those drinks. They are tiny cups for $8-$12 each. That is hundreds of dollars to get falling down drunk. But with the money they are making they should have more security walking around.

Ariel484

We went to F&W for the first this this past weekend...we were primarily there for the Jingle Jungle 5K and the Wine & Dine Half marathon.

On Saturday we had an early dinner ADR in Epcot and walked around the World Showcase to check out the booths. We were really shocked at what a mess it was - it was totally packed (which I get - last weekend of Food & Wine + Saturday night + Veteran's Day weekend + race weekend), people were drunk, and there was lots of smoking out in the open. It was, just...not good.

We came back the next day at about 11AM and while it was still crowded, it was much more pleasant. So I totally see what people mean when they say to avoid F&W on weekend evenings. I'll definitely remember that for the future.

DisneyDebNJ

This thread is interesting. I haven't been to F&W in several years, so I cannot comment on the crowds these days (my relatives were just there, though, and said it was fun -- and my MIL has less tolerance for drunk people than just about anyone I know, so I am guessing they went during the week.)

(Somewhat off-topic...)

That said, I was just thinking -- in all my years of going to WDW, I don't think I've ever seen someone visibly intoxicated! I'm not sure how I've managed that. Granted I have seen TONS of crazy parents raging/ about stuff to each other, their kids, or CMs (oh how I loathe idiots who berate the CMs for some imaginary slight,) but they have just been run of the mill a-holes; they didn't appear to be under the influence. (Last time I actually had to reprimand another guest about sitting down on a moving ride because they had repeatedly disregarded the CM telling them to do so over the PA. The guy was not drunk, just an idiot who wanted to try and get off the ride faster because the BABY he was holding was crying. Yeah. Yikes.)

Somewhat off-topic rant over. :)
This ^^^^ I have been to every Food and Wine festival (except for 2 yrs) and have never seen some of the behavior described in this thread. Were people singing, laughing and obviously had a few? Yep... no brawls, no vomiting, no falling on children. I saw more rude people at Magic Kingdom in all honesty. We had a wheelchair for my sciatica.. and overheard another guest say to her husband 'just push ahead of her, she's milking it"... milking it?!?!!? I cracked up, I wish I was milking it. I must have spoken to 30 families at Epcot over our vacation, all with children. Every single family said they loved F&W and like us, go every year. The only complaining I heard was about Singapore's food in all honesty. It's a good time, plain and simple

Texas84

We went to F&W for the first this this past weekend...we were primarily there for the Jingle Jungle 5K and the Wine & Dine Half marathon.

On Saturday we had an early dinner ADR in Epcot and walked around the World Showcase to check out the booths. We were really shocked at what a mess it was - it was totally packed (which I get - last weekend of Food & Wine + Saturday night + Veteran's Day weekend + race weekend), people were drunk, and there was lots of smoking out in the open. It was, just...not good.

We came back the next day at about 11AM and while it was still crowded, it was much more pleasant. So I totally see what people mean when they say to avoid F&W on weekend evenings. I'll definitely remember that for the future.

I did notice the smoking outside of designated areas. You're right about that. On my weekend Saturday was worse than Friday and Sunday was very pleasant. But overall still a great weekend with no incidents that I saw. Yes, your mileage may vary. :)

acishere

This ^^^^ I have been to every Food and Wine festival (except for 2 yrs) and have never seen some of the behavior described in this thread. Were people singing, laughing and obviously had a few? Yep... no brawls, no vomiting, no falling on children. I saw more rude people at Magic Kingdom in all honesty. We had a wheelchair for my sciatica.. and overheard another guest say to her husband 'just push ahead of her, she's milking it"... milking it?!?!!? I cracked up, I wish I was milking it. I must have spoken to 30 families at Epcot over our vacation, all with children. Every single family said they loved F&W and like us, go every year. The only complaining I heard was about Singapore's food in all honesty. It's a good time, plain and simple
Some people I think are actually taking offense to the singing and general loudness of people who have had a few. They just have no tolerance of any kind of excessive drinking. So while to us seeing that person is not a big deal as long as he isn't fighting, cursing, or falling in the bushes, others can get offended even by the friendliest drunk.

Phonedave

i was there Thursday, Friday and Saturday myself.

Thursday and Friday were plesant - Saturday I did not notice any smoking, but I did notice "overly friendly" people. As I said in a previously post, these people may have been intoxicated or they may have just been part of the normal WDW cross section. There were two guys in Germany asking for the bathroom that were clearly intoxicated. Not drunk off their a$$es, but clearly intoxicated (or else had some medical issues). Now was that because of F&W, or did they just come from the Beirgarten where they serve liter beers? - who knows.

We left the park around 5 that day - mainly because we were exhausted and did not feel like dealing with the crowds. It was very crowded and lines were insane. While there may have been intoxicated people walking around, I did not notice anyone who was outright blitzed out of their skulls. I would have had no problems having my kids there (aside from the crowds)

-dave

DisneyDebNJ

Some people I think are actually taking offense to the singing and general loudness of people who have had a few. They just have no tolerance of any kind of excessive drinking. So while to us seeing that person is not a big deal as long as he isn't fighting, cursing, or falling in the bushes, others can get offended even by the friendliest drunk.
I honestly, saw no unruly behavior at all. It was all positive, even with MANY families with children.

Ariel484

For me, I'm talking about big groups of people losing their sense of personal space and what's going on around them (magnified because the place was already so crowded - that was my biggest issue was how freaking crowded it was) and smoking well outside of the designated smoking areas. Excessive drinking doesn't offend me until someone's stumbling into me or I'm getting elbowed or whatever. I didn't see anyone puking or fighting or anything.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Oh, sheesh. This thread is back again?

Hey guys, I heard a rumor that there is a magical little kingdom just a monorail ride away where there is no Drunky Town at all. I also heard that the little kids like that place more anyway.

I respond to this saying there is a little magical little place called DTD where you can enjoy being drunk and disorderly :)

Regardless, it is only 2 months out of the year, we plan around it. I don't know why you quoted me, other than to tell me to go to Magic Kingdom instead, because, your money is better than mine I guess, and I should be limited to MK? - sorry if I read your post in the wrong way. I wasn't attacking anyone, just stating my personal experience. I don't have a problem with people being tipsy, but when people are puking due to intoxication and falling all over the place (on my kids) then yes, it becomes personal and upsets me. As it would most people.

BuddyThomas

I respond to this saying there is a little magical little place called DTD where you can enjoy being drunk and disorderly :)

Regardless, it is only 2 months out of the year, we plan around it. I don't know why you quoted me, other than to tell me to go to Magic Kingdom instead, because, your money is better than mine I guess, and I should be limited to MK? - sorry if I read your post in the wrong way. I wasn't attacking anyone, just stating my personal experience. I don't have a problem with people being tipsy, but when people are puking due to intoxication and falling all over the place (on my kids) then yes, it becomes personal and upsets me. As it would most people.
Hurray! The drunkytown thread is back.

Anyway, I never said your money was better than mine. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. However, I prefer margaritas, so maybe next time you can pour a few of those in there instead.
;)
Kidding, kidding.

But again, I've never seen this river of puke that is being describes ad infinitum on here. To hear some talk about this, you'd think people were passed out all over the place in puddles of vomit from Italy to Spaceship Earth, and that just ain't the case.

Epcot-Rules

That's possibly very true, however in the basketballs eye's he was a local, so I was merely pointing out that Pensacola is not local.

I live in Pensacola and drive to WDW 3 times a year. It is 459 miles. Its far from being local.

I am in for the drinking around the world. I enjoy the World Showcase because I enjoy different beverages from around the world. There are so many mellow dramatic people on this forum, I read this thread before I went to the F&W Festival and thought it would be an all out drunk fest! I will defiantly go back. We had a load of fun without incident. Yes there were people drinking, it was crowded, and nobody was fighting and rowdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom