Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rct247

I have spent a full Wednesday, a full Friday, a Friday evening, and a Saturday evening at Food & Wine this year. Weekends are worse which means the locals are added into the mix. It isn't only locals that are getting drunk though. I think I've noticed it worse though this year than last few years. I feel it's been busier than normal for October anyways this month.

Spikerdink

I was there for the first weekend of F&W. Yes, it was very crowded. More so than I had ever seen it before. Did I see a legion of drunks? No, I did not. Does that mean they were not there? Again, no it does not. But as I walked around, and I did multiple laps (I wanted to see how long it would take me and I wanted to see what my Fitbit measured and did it a few times to get a reliable average) I did not see an enormous amount of people who could be considered 'drunk, obnoxious' types. Again, not saying that they were not there, it's just when I was there throughout the day there wasn't a huge amount of swarming inebriates.

That being said, I realize that the weekends during F&W are going to draw a larger crowd than usual (sure enough, Sunday it was quieter than Saturday, Monday quieter than Sunday and Tuesday quieter than Monday). Knowing this, if I had small children I think I would have kept them away from the World Showcase on the weekend. Why? A number of reasons. First, if I had a stroller, passage was really a problem with the amount of people. It just wasn't condusive to walking (strolling) with a stroller. Second, it is obvious (to my humble brain) that the F&W festival is GEARED towards adults. There aren't many kids who have a taste for grilled MahiMahi, or 'artisan' cheeses -- let alone trying haggis. Not a chicken nugget or fry stand in sight. The people who plan this festival do it with adults in mind - hence the demonstrations, the culinary panels, the various wines, etc. This isn't How Many Ways Can I Fix Kraft Mac and Cheese? or Wonders with Wonder Bread. It's adult. It's adult themed. It has adult beverages. If I had a 3 - 12 year old, I think the time would be better spent in another park. Again, my opinion.

Do some people tend to be 'overserved' at this event? I am sure they do - especially the people who drink around the world and are used to having one glass of wine with dinner on Friday night. It's a chance to let their inhibitions down a tad - not full loose bozo hopefully, but hey, have some fun time.

That being said, it's a shame people were abused while bringing their kids to a WDW park. No one should have to feel that when they visit any park. But a bit of foresight (and you did warn them) would have saved everyone a lot of grief - and maybe this thread could have wound down in 2 - 3 pages.

71jason

The common denominator is that the people exhibiting the obnoxious behavior are obviously young locals.

Please, explain exactly how you came to this conclusion?

This is exactly my point, @luv. Broad, over-sweeping generalizations like this. It shows a bias that renders words like "drunk" and "obnoxious" useless in anecdotal evidence. If you expect to see obnoxious young locals, every tipsy person you see under 50 becomes an obnoxious young local. If you expect to see people having a good time, the guy staggering into the bushes looks like a party animal. Just like saying HHN is "for the drunks." There generally are going to be teetotalers, and belligerent alcoholics, but on a bell curve, with the hump in the middle being reasonable people who just like to have a few drinks.

I'll reiterate again--not sure if it was in this thread--the insane crowds exacerbate everything. You just encounter more people, in closer quarters than virtually any other public situation. Bound to meet more than the average daily number of orifices, that's the law of really big numbers.

Because what out-of-towner, who is spending thousands of dollars to visit Disney, is going to get so hammered that it keeps them from visiting a park the next day (or worse, having to travel) due to a huge hangover? More importantly, if I am not getting hammered at Disney (and we are talking about someone whose main accomplishment in college was memorized the Budweiser beer label), then I seriously doubt other out-of-towners are. I have no idea what it is but I just do not imbibe that much while at Disney.

luv

This is exactly my point, @luv. Broad, over-sweeping generalizations like this. It shows a bias that renders words like "drunk" and "obnoxious" useless in anecdotal evidence. If you expect to see obnoxious young locals, every tipsy person you see under 50 becomes an obnoxious young local. If you expect to see people having a good time, the guy staggering into the bushes looks like a party animal. Just like saying HHN is "for the drunks." There generally are going to be teetotalers, and belligerent alcoholics, but on a bell curve, with the hump in the middle being reasonable people who just like to have a few drinks.

I'll reiterate again--not sure if it was in this thread--the insane crowds exacerbate everything. You just encounter more people, in closer quarters than virtually any other public situation. Bound to meet more than the average daily number of orifices, that's the law of really big numbers.
Thats okay. If it wasn't this thread, I can still follow, lol.

I'm not saying that every single person at F&W is drunk. I'm not even disputing people who say they didn't see any drunks.

I am saying that I've seen it. A lot. It bugs me. I don't mind stumbling. I don't mind guys peeing in bushes (too much.). What I mind (me, personally) are the couples yelling and swearing at each other, the groups of guys being loud and making foul motions near certain bodily areas (new motions to me, as well). I mind the groups hooting and hollering...or group singing, drunkenly and really loudly.

I also find it almost bordering on craziness that people might be shocked that there are drunk people in a place serving up tons of booze. Even if I'd never been there, I'd think, "Well, yes, that makes sense. People who drink get drunk. Drunk people behave badly."

It's kind of a Duh thing.

DisneyDebNJ

We were there last week. There were a lot of people, but I don't think a majority were locals either. There were a whole lot of college kids. Only saw one guy that looked a little tipsy. Other than that, everyone was holding their alcohol pretty well! No obnoxious loud people or any outbursts.
This ^^^ our exact experiences. I'm not saying people getting drunk or obnoxious, doesn't happen, but we have been lucky enough to never experience alot of negative behaviors others have witnessed. I do know for a fact ALOT of students at UCF head to Epcot on the weekends, without a doubt. I think the overall consensus is this... it's OK to go and have a good time but (especially in a setting with lots of kids) show a little bit of decorum, be mindful of others. That's actually a terrific state of mind to be in... anywhere...

EvilQueen-T

we regularly go to food and wine, usually more than once a season since we enjoy ap's and live only 2.5 hrs away. i drink rarely but don't mind a cocktail if the mood hits me. we always see a few people here and there that have had to much to drink but it's not like 1/3 of the park is falling down sloppy drunk. is it like a strolling cocktail party...yeah but there's alcohol available all year long at 3 parks and no one notices a difference the rest of the year so imo it's just the behavior of a few during this particular time of year that give the event a bad taste for some. it's no different to me than when you have a few kids around you acting like complete brats with no parental intervention...do i blame all kids and want to ban them from mk?

BuddyThomas

we regularly go to food and wine, usually more than once a season since we enjoy ap's and live only 2.5 hrs away. i drink rarely but don't mind a cocktail if the mood hits me. we always see a few people here and there that have had to much to drink but it's not like 1/3 of the park is falling down sloppy drunk. is it like a strolling cocktail party...yeah but there's alcohol available all year long at 3 parks and no one notices a difference the rest of the year so imo it's just the behavior of a few during this particular time of year that give the event a bad taste for some. it's no different to me than when you have a few kids around you acting like complete brats with no parental intervention...do i blame all kids and want to ban them from mk?
How do I vote love instead of like?
;)

FrankLapidus

Indeed it is. We haven't been to WDW when the F&W has been on for a few years so this year was a bit of eye-opener. I hadn't heard of the 'Drinking around the World' game before but I lost count of the amount of people wearing T-Shirts with that slogan on waiting in line for margaritas at the Mexico pavilion on a Friday night. By the time we got round the other side to Canada I thought it was some kind of official park-wide event. Can't say it bothered me, I didn't see any sort of violent drunken behaviour when I was there but I would avoid it on weekend nights in future purely because of the crowds. That being said, if the Ireland stall serves the chocolate pudding with Bailey's custard again I might struggle to stay away.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The problem is the large groups that have specially made shirts broadcasting the fact that they are going to be drinking as much as possible. We actually left F&W festival for the MK because we didn't feel it was the right atmosphere for our children to read shirts that said "Food and Wine Drunks on Tour".

eddieh

I have been four times this year so far (working on getting all my passport stamps - I've got nine kiosks to go). I haven't seen the unruly behavior that has been described in this string. Sure, it's been busier than usual and quite a few larger servings of beer, but all in all it isn't any rowdier than a tour group clapping and singing in line.

As for the reference to drinking around the world - anyone who truly tries it will never make it. The reference is similar to the Festival tag line "Taste Your Way Around the World" (again, not really going to happen).

If you get a chance - go! There's a lot of good food and some nice pairings of wine. The Festival is not much different than many cities hosting a "taste of" festival. If you encounter someone who is out of control, inform a cast member and change your location - there are plenty of people just like you - there to enjoy the festival as it was intended.

vonpluto

I went to the wrong college apparently.

Should have gone with this guy:

belushi.jpg

DisneyDebNJ

Here's the way I see this debate (as I look through my Disney rose colored glasses) Both sides have extremely valid points. @ParentsOf4 , you were gracious enough to apologize for a comment you typed in the heat of the moment and I must do the same. Decades ago, my ex attended UCF, and every weekend he and his friends always visited Epcot to drink. The stories he told... Disney is known as a family friendly getaway (I agree!) however, there are always those pushing the boundaries. (About 7 years ago, I witnessed a CM, *suggesting* a young lady buy a t shirt, as her top was a wee bit too small, and other patrons complained) I'm sorry, but decorum is a must. Again, like I said in an earlier post, be mindful of your neighbors. Too much alcohol + the Florida heat are NOT a good mix. All I can suggest, is this... enjoy all, but be careful :)

epcotisbest

Here's the way I see this debate (as I look through my Disney rose colored glasses) Both sides have extremely valid points. @ParentsOf4 , you were gracious enough to apologize for a comment you typed in the heat of the moment and I must do the same. Decades ago, my ex attended UCF, and every weekend he and his friends always visited Epcot to drink. The stories he told... Disney is known as a family friendly getaway (I agree!) however, there are always those pushing the boundaries. (About 7 years ago, I witnessed a CM, *suggesting* a young lady buy a t shirt, as her top was a wee bit too small, and other patrons complained) I'm sorry, but decorum is a must. Again, like I said in an earlier post, be mindful of your neighbors. Too much alcohol + the Florida heat are NOT a good mix. All I can suggest, is this... enjoy all, but be careful :)
Back when I was younger, and that has been awhile, I was at an outdoor music festival and there were two lovely and top heavy and probably a year or two older than they were acting, women who kept showing their appreciation to the band with, let's just say New Orleans give me some beads behavior. I believe the alcohol they were consuming directly affected their judgement.
I have seen alcohol affecting people's judgement and behavior at F&W, but it usually manifests itself in boorish, loud and obnoxious behavior. I have also been to F&W and never saw anything at all negative. I'm sure both experiences still exist. It could be the same person going to the same event could have completely different experiences at F&W just depending on where in WS they happen to be at any given time on any given night. For us the negative started outweighing the positive, and since we don't drink anyway and the food sampling are now priced at two to three times what they cost when we first started going, we just don't go anymore. I would probably feel even stronger about not going if we had children. I don't really have a point other than we don't go anymore. It would seem to me maybe turning it into a hard ticket event might make sense someday, but I am on the fence about that idea.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Back when I was younger, and that has been awhile, I was at an outdoor music festival and there were two lovely and top heavy and probably a year or two older than they were acting, women who kept showing their appreciation to the band with, let's just say New Orleans give me some beads behavior. I believe the alcohol they were consuming directly affected their judgement.
I have seen alcohol affecting people's judgement and behavior at F&W, but it usually manifests itself in boorish, loud and obnoxious behavior. I have also been to F&W and never saw anything at all negative. I'm sure both experiences still exist. It could be the same person going to the same event could have completely different experiences at F&W just depending on where in WS they happen to be at any given time on any given night. For us the negative started outweighing the positive, and since we don't drink anyway and the food sampling are now priced at two to three times what they cost when we first started going, we just don't go anymore. I would probably feel even stronger about not going if we had children. I don't really have a point other than we don't go anymore. It would seem to me maybe turning it into a hard ticket event might make sense someday, but I am on the fence about that idea.

That is a very good point (bolded).

This is the first F&W Fest we've missed in something like 12 years. They priced us out; like you, we have been going for such a long time and recall that it used to be a reasonable value.

I do enjoy a glass or two of wine, and thanks to all that I learned at prior F&Ws, I realize that the wines they are "sampling" at the booths are all under-$20 bottles. I'm not paying $3.25 for a one-or-two ounce pour of a wine that I can get 24oz of for $15, so last year I only sampled the food. Anyone who's getting drunk at Epcot probably isn't doing it at the festival booths at those prices! ;)

DisneyDebNJ

I honestly agree. See, here's the thing. I am a serious foodie (I do private catering) I love learning about wine pairings! (I am so NOT schooled in this) IF Disney decided to ban alcohol? I'd have a real problem with that.. Why? It's not fair. A few (yes, few, over indulge, we have NEVER been one of them) I believe Disney does a great job in keeping things in check. Yes, the crowds get crazy, more staff is needed (as are staff at MK during busy times) Again, without getting into Big Brother, people need to show a bit of decorum.

epcotisbest

I honestly agree. See, here's the thing. I am a serious foodie (I do private catering) I love learning about wine pairings! (I am so NOT schooled in this) IF Disney decided to ban alcohol? I'd have a real problem with that.. Why? It's not fair. A few (yes, few, over indulge, we have NEVER been one of them) I believe Disney does a great job in keeping things in check. Yes, the crowds get crazy, more staff is needed (as are staff at MK during busy times) Again, without getting into Big Brother, people need to show a bit of decorum.
I've never done wine pairings but have read it adds a whole different perspective having the right wine to compliment a specific course. Personally I would not know the difference in Moët and Two Buck Chuck, but do like my tea sweet. I don't see how they could ever remove alcohol. And letting irresponsible fools ruin it for the majority does not make sense to me. More staff, more security and a crackdown on idiots would seem like a good solution if the problem grows. So far it seems the problem is a matter of perspective, and security can't really fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom